JOB - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

JOB

Hello,
I am interested in jobs dealing with exotic animals. I am wondering if anyone knows of any facilities that would fall along these lines whether be caregiver, handler, trainer, rehabilitation (no experience with this but willing to learn), educational talks or anything along these lines. I would like it to be within reasonable driving distance from wilkes-barre pa where I live.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Curmudgeon

Unfortunately, what you describe is a job that many people would like. There are many reasons folks try to go into this field. Sometimes it's because they love animals. Many times, it's because they have no social skills and working with animals is more comfortable for them. There are even people who are just looking for a job, any job, and they think working with animals will be easy.

Consequently, most intro level positions in the animal field are low pay with little room for advancement.

If you want this to be a career, you need to go to school (college and above), focus on a particular facet of what you want, and then use your education and abilities to stand out. There are lots of biology and zoology jobs open. I see emails weekly of folks looking for qualified biologists to work with exotic and endangered animals.

For over ten years I was a supervisor at a zoo and I saw people come in all the time who wanted to work with animals, but had no education or experience. I had volunteers were better qualified than that, ..and THEY worked for free! I put the unqualified folks to work "scooping poop" and preparing diets. The qualified folks worked hands on with the animal. Because there are so many applicants, the pay is low, the competition is high and you can expect to wait years for advancement.

If this is what you REALLY want to do, go to college and get a degree that will make you stand out from 99% of the rest of the applicants. Otherwise, plan on cleaning stalls, raking yards and watching the qualified folks work with the animals.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have a B.S. in biology already cause this is what i have wanted to do. Unfortunately cant find facility around me and dont have money yet to move...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Curmudgeon

Since you have a degree, try here:

http://www.usajobs.gov/

You can look for jobs by locale, agency or field.

I know that USFWS almost always has openings for field biologists. You may need to move (unless you are very lucky), but the opportunities available might be well worth it.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 AM

I wish I can find a job like that too. Since I can't I started my own business!

Tags
employment, exotic, job, zoo