Kinkajou View - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

Kinkajou View

Figured I'd post a couple bigger pics, so people can actually see Gizmo, instead squinting at my avatar.

This is his normal pose, at least during the day, as kinkajous are nocturnal. I can actually carry him around and he'll barely wake up.

His Gene Simmons impersonation.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aw, hes adorable! I think im in love! How is he has a pet? looks like hes got some pretty sharp nails there. is he usually pretty calm?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Leo

You seriously have the coolest pets.... Gizmo is adorable. Is he fairly tame?

Can we have an updated list (with pictures) of all of your pets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Not for me, but still one of my favorite animals.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

Surprisingly, his claws are really not all that "sharp", at least not in the sense of a cat, where they could go right up your leg by digging in, but they are an arboreal animal and they are intended for climbing/gripping branches.

During the day, he's extremely docile... to the point where I considered naming him Prince Valium. At around 8 or 9 at night, he wakes up and comes out looking for something to eat. They are frugivores, so he gets a wide selection fruits, but his favorite by far are bananas - but you can imagine what kind of mess an animal that eats nothing but pulpy fruits could make.

I'm still working out a cage setup he likes, and exactly what is good for enrichment - as he's not swayed for long by food reward type things, he really prefers to explore, so has to spend a lot of time out checking out everything.

For the most part he is friendly, but doesn't like quick movements or loud noises, so can be easily startled. He has some pretty nasty, sharp teeth, so I seriously would not want to get bit by him - but if you try to move him or do something he doesn't like he will try to nip. Thus far it hasn't been anything harmful, just a "hey, stop that" kind of reaction. He is neutered, so that helps his attitude a lot. I'm blessed with several good exotic vets in my area. They certainly aren't for everyone, but I'm a bit weird anyway.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

How long have you had him? What about his eh, bathroom habits? is he litter trained or anything? Is he ok with other animals, dogs? or does he get scared? I cant get over how cute he is! looks a bit like a cross between a baby bear and a monkey

My Furry Family
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

I just recently got him, I've only had him a couple weeks. He's due for a vet wellness checkup.

They don't litter train, they pretty much go wherever they want... but they typically only go once a night, so it's an easy clean in the morning when I do my usual rounds.

They don't really do well with other animals at all. They're curious about just about everything, but anything that moves quickly or makes noise will startle them. I don't generally let my pets get that kind of interaction anyway, there is just too much of a chance of something going wrong - especially with a "wild" animal as a pet. You can never be entirely sure how they will react, and I believe in "better safe than sorry".

Even though they look bear-like, monkey-like, or even sloth-like, they're actually related to raccoons and coatimundi, though not nearly as "active" as those species... at least during the day. At night, they'll swing from the rafters if you let them.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

What a cutie!!! He looks huggable! Soooo cute!!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh! The Kinkajou is one of my very favorite animals . I really want one someday but would probably feel bad getting one from a pet store/breeder. If one was ever for adoption, though, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Where did you get him? What sort of diet are you feeding? I mean, I know you're feeding fruits but what vitamins? If you add any, that is.

He's really cute .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 AM

ooo neat!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
laugh often

that's a very awesome pic of your furry friend. thanks for sharing

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Where did you get him?
He was sort of a rescue. He was brought into a local exotic pet shop, because he didn't get along with his previous owners other kinkajou - in an attempt to give their first little guy a new friend. The pet store owners know me, and pretty much the array of stuff I keep, so called me when he was brought in.

Quote:
What sort of diet are you feeding? I mean, I know you're feeding fruits but what vitamins? If you add any, that is.
He gets a selection of fruit, including mango, banana, apple, grapes, pears, peaches, blueberries, various melons - whatever I can find in season. On top of that he gets monkey biscuits, a little yogurt, some eggs, leafy greens - varied up a bit so he doesn't get bored. I use a calcium supplement, but for right now no other vitamins. I'm debating using powdered Esbilac sprinkled over some of the fruit as a supplement, but that's on my list of things to discuss with my vet.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Oh! The Kinkajou is one of my very favorite animals . I really want one someday but would probably feel bad getting one from a pet store/breeder. If one was ever for adoption, though, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Honestly a bad idea. Exotics as a general rule do very poorly when rehomed. It's not like adopting a dog. If you've not worked with exotics before it's not a good idea to start with a troubled child. It can be like trying to tame a wild animal because they bond to their families but most wont like strangers and their lives upset. Kinks don't do well with their routine upset. I could tell you some horror stories. My vet is an ex-zoo vet and he said Kinks are commonly put on valum because they commonly have problems, like self mutilation and pulling out hair or being aggressive. They really should be something saved for more advanced keepers who know what they are getting into and even then it doesn't always work out.

Not meaning to talk down kinks specifically though honestly I'd rather get a coatimundi than a kink and coatis are scary. More that any rescued exotic is not the best way to start out with exotics especially the kind that are more difficult even under the best circumstances.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Super Adoreable!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Herp Nerd

I haven't really updated this since I first posted it... but had a couple people ask, so figured I'd redo the pics (that now have broken links up top) and give you guys an update.

Normal day-time pose.

I wanna rock n' roll all night and sleep every day.

Well, I found out why his original owners didn't want him. After about a week of me having him, he had a seizure. I've seen the kind of thing before in other animals, so I immediately took him to the vet. After several rounds of blood work, urinalysis, an ultrasound, and much poking and prodding, ruling out one thing after another, the vets (yeah, multiple!) determined he has a seizure disorder of some sort - namely epilepsy. Unfortunately the testing took several weeks, and during that time he had several more seizures and got pretty heavily stressed. When stressed, he tends to pulls out his fur, leaving little bald patches (this too determined after a dozen skin scrapings and tests ). So by the time we finally got things figured out, he looked pretty horrible... but now, he's on daily medication which seems to have done the trick. He's back to his rambunctious self and is fully furred once more. The medication smells pretty bad, but he never says no to a Fig Newton, laced or not.

I've determined his caging needs are more than the six foot cage I had built for him, so I'm in the process of designing and building something bigger and better. I'm still having a hard time keeping him amused. I've bought numerous baby toys, he plays with them for about five minutes, and then they're not interesting any more. His favorite thing is still to explore. Even things he's seen before, if he's out running around, it's interesting to him.

I've adjusted his diet, per the vet's suggestions, increasing his protein levels, with everything from meal worms to a few pieces of dog food - which for some odd reason he seems to love. I've tried to give him thawed mice, but he won't have anything to do with them. He likes to steal my pineapple juice though.

Tags
exotic vet, litter train, litter trained, pet shop, pet store, wild animal