Lemurs - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamanduaGirl View Post
To the original topic being lemurs as pets it should be noted that lemurs are primitive primates which is not so much like monkeys. Lemurs are easier to keep and keep happy than monkeys and other advanced(not sure the exact term) primates.

Not to say they are easy to keep just easier to keep, happy and safely. A less demanding animal than a monkey but still much more than the common domestic pets or even common exotics.

REXANO has statistics on death caused by exotics compared to death by other things http://www.rexano.org/Statistics/Dea...nimal_2005.pdf
it doesn't cover just injuries where no death happened though.
Thanks for the info! I don't really know anyone who has kept lemurs, only monkeys, so its cool to hear more about them I know the laws involved in their keeping restrict them from crossing state lines, hence most of them are located in Florida and Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Newborn Pup

i do`nt know where you are but here in the uk you need a dwa licence to own a lemur anyway

any animal will bite if mistreated or provocted , my chair is just my transport, i have a voice of my own
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Newborn Pup

I know alot of people in florida that have Lemurs as pets. Some live outside and some are inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
I am going to agree with TamanduaGirl in most of this. Most primates do better in pairs or more, but I have known people who have had single primates for the entirety of the animal's life and they have never experienced any sort of aggression. You just have to spend most of your time with them. The examples that I have are a woman who has had a single capuchin monkey for over 16 years (and she's still doing great!), and a lady who had a tamarin for around 10ish years.

Now, I am not saying that monkey ownership is for everyone, nor am I saying I think that monkeys are "pets." They are tricky and require a lot of hard work/research before deciding to add one to your family. The ones that have behavior problems are usually being housed in cages, singly with no one giving any attention to it, or people teasing it/rough housing with it. My view is, if you do the research (for several years minimum), have an adequate habitat for the critter, have the proper mindset (this is an animal not a little person or a "pet"), are responsible, and are financially capable of keeping a monkey, you should be allowed to.

It is hard for a lot of people to understand that many smaller primates and other exotic animals are just fine in captivity as long as they are cared for properly. I've known people who have kept bears, primates, zebras, and cougars, and although I would never keep one myself, the animals were healthy and happy and never hurt anyone because they had responsible caretakers. Unfortunately, a lot of people have only had bad examples of exotic animal keeping gone wrong as a reference and as such, tend to generalize things. I can look up some stats if people want, but I think out of the thousands of primates kept by independent hobbyists, there have only been around 2% who have attacked a human with serious injury, but since the media is everywhere, you would think the rates were closer to 99% lol. And, I believe all of these monkeys were "Old World" apes such as Chimpanzee's and Baboons, which are larger and more temperamental.

Also, as a final point, a lot of primates, such as Marmosets, die within a few years in the wild (predation, malnutrition, disease, and habitat destruction are factors), whereas with careful keeping (nice/clean/spacious habitat, good diet, plenty of companionship, training) Marms can reach 10-15 years!

Ending my speech here lol I don't want to step on anyone's toes, and this wasn't directed at anyone in particular! I just want to spread some awareness that there are good primate caretakers out there! If anyone has any questions about primates/things I've said, you can feel free to PM me, and I can direct you to more sources of info
While I do not doubt some people have succeeded with only one monkey. They no doubt probably work at home and can spend time with the monkey and are a patient person. However, let us not kid ourselves that there have been alot of people that have failed in primate ownership and realised they were over their heads. I looked at the link you posted. The lady seems really nice and seems to know what she is doing. I should point out that it seems she at least has two spider monkeys. If someone really wants a monkey then I think they should have to prove they put in 1000 hours of learning and careing for these animals. And I agree they should have to meet houseing rules for these animals. I do not want to tell people what kind of pet they can or can't have but it is time alot of people become responsible. My mom who raises, breeds, and trains dogs has commented how irresponsible people are. For example they say they only want a male dog since they can't get pregnant (meaning they will not neuter them). She has even said how people are stupid with dogs and encourage bad behavior. If someone is that irresponsible then they will not be responsible with a exotic pet. I had birds as a child a cockatile and green cheeked conure. While birds can be fine to have in your house they require not only some seeds and pellots but fruits and veggies. You have to watch what you feed them avocado, chocolate, caffeine, etc. You have to watchout for toxins or chemicals in the air, not to mention drafts. Also, a hand tamed parrot should spend at least 2 to four hours with you. Perferably more. A parrot does not like to stay in its cage all day and it is in the long run more of a joy to have a tame bird. Parrots now days are probably not considered an exotic (or as exotic) but the point is they require alot of care.
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Playful Pup

I have a ring tailed lemur living with me right now. I have had him for a few months while his family moves into a new house and gets it fixed up for him. His name is Casper. Up until around 2 years old, he was the nicest, sweetest pet you could ever ask for. We took him (and other exotics) to schools to teach children about them. I had no worries at all about letting him set on a 5 year olds shoulder. He wouldn't hurt a fly. Then he hit puberty. He attacked one of his handlers, got aggressive with me, his owners, everyone. He is unpredictable, moody and at times violent. This is not a pet I would recommend for anyone. He had some pretty nasty fights with the female lemur too right after puberty.

Tags
animal lover, animal sanctuary, exotic animals, wild animal, wild animals