My new spider!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

My new spider!!!

Hello everyone, how are you all doing?
My friend moved in with a new room mate recently and had to get rid of his tarantula because of it, which is how I got my new pet Rosey!
But the thing is, he doesn't know what kind of tarantula she is. She's got a pink back and dark brown legs and abdomen. I'm not sure if she is actually a she either, the person I got her from has just been calling her a girl because of the pink, lol. Well I will post a couple pictures with this for everyone to see.
And also, I know she used to be fairly docile and only got agressive if you scared her, but since I've gotten her here I haven't taken her out yet because she seems pretty timid. Is that just because of being moved around so much? And what should I do about it, should I try to take her out and hold her or should I let her have her space for a few days?
Thanks everyone! Have a wonderful day! ^_^
--Jo

Last edited by JoKicksButt; 03-23-2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: I forgot to add the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She looks like a Chilean rose tarantula to me . I haven't kept any tarantulas myself, though.

Like I said, I haven't kept them, but I was always under the impression that you shouldn't handle them unless necessary?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure she is a Chilean Rose Hair, I found quite a few photos of them that look just like Rosey, makes the name seem even more corney though! Lol.
And I'm not sure if you're suposed to hold them or not, but I've never really had a problem with one. Rosey has calmed down today and let me take her out a few different times, she even posed for some photos! ^_^
But then again I've always been the type to turn any animal into a cuddler! Lol!
But I thought about another question. The person I got her from has had her in a two gallon pet carrier since he got her, she has her food, water, things to hide in and everything, but the tarantulas I've had before liked to dig a few different burrows and stuff around thier cage, and this one doesn't really have room to do that. I've got a five gallon aquarium I can put her in after I get a new lid for it, my rat did quite a job on the lid I have, so I was wondering if I should try to hurry up and get a new lid so I can put her in the bigger aquarium, if it's not that big of a deal and I can take my time or if I should just leave her where she is since she's been in there for at least a year or so now?
Thanks again.
--Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would definitely move her to a larger tank but you don't have to rush or anything. 2-gallons is pretty small, though . I'm glad you have a bigger tank.

One reason not to handle tarantulas is because of their hairs. Here's an article: http://arachnophiliac.info/burrow/ut..._reactions.htm. You could probably find more on Google . It's not like the tarantulas enjoy it or anything...she won't be lonely.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I learned about the hairs with my first tarantula, and my mom uses that as an argument against me keeping them. Lol.
But I actually got a new lid for her yesterday, so once I get home from work today then I am going to give her a new home! ^_^
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKicksButt View Post
Yeah, I learned about the hairs with my first tarantula, and my mom uses that as an argument against me keeping them. Lol.
But I actually got a new lid for her yesterday, so once I get home from work today then I am going to give her a new home! ^_^
That's great, I bet she'll be very happy .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM

Yes it is a chilean rose here is a link to a very good care sheet for it http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292 and that is also an excelent spider forum. you should not have her in anything too deep as they sometimes climb and can fall and injur themselves fill with lots of substrait so it is only 1 1/2 times her legspan to the top. I use coconut fiber but you can also use pottingsoil make sure it is unfertalized and peatmoss is also good. they like it very dry with a waterdish. Mature males get hooks on their legs with there maturing molt. There is also lots of excelent information on sexing you spider on that forum and here is a link to another really good one http://www.atshq.org/forum/index.php. The people on both are very friendly and helpful if you have any questions or you can always ask me my husband and I have around 90 tarantulas right now. Good luck with your new friend.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 PM

Congratulations on the new tarantula. We have 21 tarantulas currently, 3 of them are female rosehairs, they are very easy to care for too, tempermental sometimes, but very hardy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Whoa! Ninety?! I could never do that...I don't think I could even do the 21! I feel guilty when I don't spend enough time with my pets so I know if I had ninety I'd just go crazy! Lol.
And thanks alot, I'll make sure to look at those sites.
But I do have a question, Rosey got inside of her cup thing day before yesterday, since then she's turned around a couple times, but she hasn't left the cup...is she ok?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM

she is fine they like to hide for various reasons sometimes just to be hiding and sometimes to make a molt mat they like privacy when they are molting. I have a female rose that has blocked herself off in her hide and has been in there for 2 months I know she is fine because I can see her it is a split plastic container that is against the side of the tank she is very active in there she just dosent come out. They each have there own unique personalities. As for having so many we are breeding and selling so a few are ones we keep but most are forsale. With any luck we have 5 that should be making their egg sacks soon then we will have more than I can count lol. Good luck and have fun with your spidey.

Tags
bigger tank, dark brown