Omg, I Got Bit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

Omg, I Got Bit

well, not really, and sorry for the drama, but what would anyone with a pet (or exotic pet) do in such an instance?
Was just thinking because little foxy Sid did make a snipe at me earlier today.

Truthfully, I did get bit once by one of the barn cats and had to go to the doctor the next morning. He gave me a prescription for some expensive super antibiotics....with the instructions that if it wasn't improving by the next morning, Go Directly To The Hospital, DO NOT PASS GO. They have some nifty IV antibiotics that they could hook me up to...

We don't worry too much if our hamster chomps us, and yes, those little boogers can do some deep bites. Only a very few of us keep snakes with teeth.....(those venomous fanged types), but I have seen pictures of a guy who got bit by a Garter Snake and ended up in the hospital for antibiotics.

And just recently, I listened to my GF ranting about her 9 yr old niece who got bitten by 'uncle mikey's pitbull'. Dang kid should have known better than to run and play and act like a kid infront of the dog.....

Avatar is so totally stolen and is not an actual pic of Sidney. But is it so close to what he looks like, it's worth the risk.

All posts are in consideration for the 'future NAAF;...National Association for the Advancement of Foxes.

Anyone using this material for a 'for profit' enterprise such as a book or research paper or a website is requested to include a "Dedicated to Sidney" notation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Hello Earthling

I don't really get it, but when I get bit by my snake which is not very often I just wash the area really well and put some pooysporin on. Same thing when I was taming some feral kittens.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I am allergic to maths

Im sorry if this sounds rude but I dont understand the point of this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
Im sorry if this sounds rude but I dont understand the point of this thread.
Ha ha ha dittoand we posted at the same time

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Are you asking like, would we get rid of our pet? Or would we go to the hospital? Or would we just care for the wound ourselves?

If so, I guess it would depend on the severity of the wound... If any of my snakes bit me, I would just clean it, and make sure no teeth came out in my arm which could cause an infection. But I'd be more worried about getting my snake to the vet in case they get an infection from losing teeth! lol. If my pit bull bit me... he would never do that anyways, so i just won't go there lol. I get bit by my rats every once in a while. Nothing that breaks the skin though. But i did get a nasty bite from one the other day. And to be honest, I didnt even clean it well and its almost healed completely now lol.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

Okay, I see some understanding posts, and some of those "deer in the headlight" posts.

Yes, what would we do?

What would I do if I was bitten by my pet skunk? What would I do if my kid was bitten by my rottweiler? What would I do if my nephew was bitten by my pet rabbit? What would I do if the neighbor's kid was bitten by my poodle? What would I do if my kid was bitten by the Great Dane versus being bitten by the Pomeranian? What would I do if my best friend was bitten by my tarantula, what would I do if the people who moved into my house was bitten by a cobra, what would I do if one of my wolves escaped and bit the farmer, what would I do if my horse bit the veterinarian, what would I do if my chinchilla or sugar glider or pet monkey bit me or a family member or my friend, or what would I do if my cat bit the dog or what would I do if one of my kids bit another one of my kids?

Avatar is so totally stolen and is not an actual pic of Sidney. But is it so close to what he looks like, it's worth the risk.

All posts are in consideration for the 'future NAAF;...National Association for the Advancement of Foxes.

Anyone using this material for a 'for profit' enterprise such as a book or research paper or a website is requested to include a "Dedicated to Sidney" notation.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

Just to make a long story short, or maybe to use a parable......

One time I was driving my four wheel drive Bronco. It had brake problems, but I had had it into mechanic's shops three times for repairs. And then one day, I bought another car, switched the auto insurance over to the new car...but still that one time drove the Bronco to work.
It chose that moment for the brakes to go out....and I rear ended a full sized vehicle with mommy, daddy and two kids.
I sat there for a moment or two (and yes, my very first thoughts were about myself.) "I am so fu***d."

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

and that brings me to the episode where I was working at the children's petting zoo.

"I got bit by one of the goats," says a small child while the zoo attendant puts a bandaid on the 'owie'.

"Well, don't put your fingers in the goat's mouth!!" answered the zoo attendant. (NOTICE that zoo attendant immediately transfered guilt to the small child.)

First, we all hope little child was up to date on tetanus vaccines. Second, we hope mommy is smart enough to wash with antiseptic soap and put on neosporin or some other antibiotic ointment. Third we hope that mommy is smart enough to contact upper echelon zoo officials same day...and if zoo officials don't answer the phone, then to call the City, County or the Police. Four, we hope mommy is smart enough to take little child to the doctor, hospital or 'quickie' clinic right away and have the injury put on record.
Five, hopefully, the health department will make record of the event so if the absolute worst happens, the little child will have access to medical assistance and rabies shots.

Now, I just got bit. Or my kid just got bit. Or my neighbor's kid just got bit, or my niece or nephew just got bit or someone I know just got bit.

What should I do?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
I am allergic to maths

I wouldnt take it too seriously depending on the animal. You clean of the wound and go to the hospital if its more serious. All animals bite for the same reasons, stress, fear, over excitment. Obviously some animals are more dangerous than others so need more careful handling/petting. No animal should be put down due to biting someone, no matter how serious, because there is always a reason. It isnt a case of 'its ok, its just a hamster, it was probably just scared' or 'that snake had no reason to bite, its just plain evil' because that isnt the case. You should always be careful around animals, no animal bites without being provoked so it is almost always your fault so the animal cant be blamed.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Goats don't have upper teeth in the front they only have lower teeth, except the molars, i have never heard of a goat to bite except thinking their was food. And trust me i have had lots of goats.

They are nibblers. If they are mad they head butt but never bite.

The blame should be on the child at a petting zoo if a goat bit it, and if it breaks the skin it really isn't a huge deal. I doubt anything to go to the doc for.

If my dog bites some one because they were pulling its tail or whatever, then they shouldn't be doing that. I would bite too if i couldn't say hey i don't like you to pull my tail. and couldn't get away.

IT is always the humans fault if they get bit. You have a fox, if you get bit by your fox it is your fault it didn't ask you to come live with you. If it bites it should not be put to sleep because it bit you. You decided you could handle a pet fox.

If i get bit by my iguana it is my fault, i didn't listen to her back off signs. A bite is what i get for messing with it past her point of handling.

What would you do to your kid if it was messing with someone's poodle and got bit? what would you do if your kid ran up and poked some ones rott and got bit? blame the dog? That dog is mean it didn't let my kid run up jump on it and poke it?

What would you do to your self if you got a pet skunk and your kid got bit. You got the skunk. You had the kid. Your to blame.

What would you do to your self if you got a pet boa and let your kid play with it and it killed your kid? Surely you don't think it is the boa's fault for squeezing too hard, it doesn't see your kid as something it loves.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

oops, must have been my subconscious posting.

Last week I took some bales of hay to those rescued horses, and stopped in at a town bar for a beer. To make a long story short, I was attacked while leaving, the sheriff's department gave me a ride home, and I went to the hospital in prep for filing battery charges the next day...which I did.

Now it's a week later. I am officially freaking out because........"I got bit"
or well, I might very well have gotten bit and not known what it was.. The ER doctor prescribed Tylenol for pain, and I had to put on antibiotic ointments to eliminate infection.

Now I'm freakin' cause ....I might have been bit. I'm not totally celebate. I don't want HIV. I called the reporting police officer who told me the story about the other cop poked with a needle and had to get three shots.

I call the Health Department first thing in the morning.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Hello Earthling

I am still really confused..... is this about animals biting people, people biting animals, animals biting each other, people biting people??

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

oh, sorry, I should keep my personal issues to myself

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

It's okay for you to share, we just don't know what exactly you are talking about.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Playful Pup

uh, I guess it is really about.....I might have gotten bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMarie View Post
It's okay for you to share, we just don't know what exactly you are talking about.

Tags
bites