Oppossums? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Oppossums?

I was browsing animal picutres online and came across pictures of oppossums in houses and cages...can these be pets? I never knew that! They are cute,but I thought they were moody animals,so I wouldn't even imagine them as pets!Anyone have info????

No,I don't want one...just curious!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i dont think they are normally legal for pets, simular to ratcoons. they can cause serious bites.. even if tame. not saying all do, just some.

not that they are simular to ratcoons... just the same as pet things..

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:01 AM

I knew a person online that had one... she said that they are not really easy as pets... moody as you say... she had her free-roaming in the house, I believe.

As Kendalle said, it's similar to keeping a pet racoon or a pet kinkajou... they have special needs and you have to know what you are doing if you want to keep one... and it may be ilegal in some/most states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i am pretty sure it is illegal in most towns and cities

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Will It Ever Change?

those people probably fell across some abandoned babies. my friend has 2 squirrels (a grey and a black) that he found at separate times, as babies, having fallen out of the nest and lying on the ground. if i found that, i'd take it home too! i'd found a baby black squirrel on the ground when i was about 5 or 6 years old. (it was curled up in a ball sleeping, it didnt care that i'd picked it up). i had a babysitter that day so i didn't take it home. my mom would have let me keep it in a second. but i was afraid the sitter would kill it or huck it in the garbage or down the ravine in our backyard. so i went next door to my best friends house, and her mom was finishing apinao lesson. That kids mom took it from me saying she'd take it to the vet. to this day i pray she really did and it got to live as a squirrel, i love them and their simple lives.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dad had one when I was akid, he was rehabing it...the only place it felt safe was in the fireplace (never used and closed off) so my dad put a stick across it and it used to play on it, but as soon as it was healthy enough he set it free...it was cool to watch but we were never to touch it

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM

I herd they made good pets. Thats hoe they got to wisconsin apparently. When families were traveling in covered wagons they would keep them in there sewing baskets for the little kids to play with since they couldnt have dogs and some of them escaped, and thats why they are here in wisconsin and they can only live for about 2 years because its too cold for them.

BTW, I have no idea if thats true Thats what they told us in school.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Somone I know has a pet squirl. She saved it as a baby too. Abnd supposedly he's really cuddly and everything. no idea aout a possum though. If its really that moody...I'd reather a reallycuddly pet. I wonder what the cuddliest exotic pets are?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Curmudgeon

Opossum, as well as squirrels, and other native fauna are all illegal without special permits.

I worked with quite a few in an educational setting, and I wouldn't consider them to be a good candidate for a pet.

Opossum are as folks said, moody. They can be quick to bite when they have had enough attention, they are not cuddly even in the best of times, and they have a pretty short lifespan (2-3yrs or so).

Most wildlife does not make a good pet, ...although sometimes people have a pretty broad definition of the word "pet".

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I think they are cute,but wouldn't want one.We don't have them here in Newfoundland anyway.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

LOL, like me wanting a Lemur!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

LOL! But I DON'T want an oppossum...I was just curious about them being kept as pets...not for me tho!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Yeah I know!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentz
I herd they made good pets. Thats hoe they got to wisconsin apparently. When families were traveling in covered wagons they would keep them in there sewing baskets for the little kids to play with since they couldnt have dogs and some of them escaped, and thats why they are here in wisconsin and they can only live for about 2 years because its too cold for them.

BTW, I have no idea if thats true Thats what they told us in school.
Man, they'll teach anything these days :p Opossums are gradually expanding their range northward. They're doing it all on their own, I really don't think covered wagons had much to do with it. They do live only 2 years or so though, but it has nothing to do with the cold. Opossums have extremely short lifespans and 2 years is completely normal for them. In captivity if you can get them up to 7 years you've had a VERY old opossum, they rarely make it to 3 years in the wild.

They can be purchased as exotic pets, but they require a permit for ownership, as said. I looked after an adult female for about a year. She wasn't mine, I just took care of her. They can be a pain in the butt, but I find them fascinating. They also happen to be one of the dumbest mammals on the planet, and that's not to be mean, it's scientific truth! :p
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Will It Ever Change?

hey! that's the lemming's title!!! get your' own

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
captive bred, exotic pets, pet store, prairie dog, prairie dogs, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, wild animal, wild animals