Pennsylvania Laws - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Pennsylvania Laws

Anyone out there know the pennsylvania laws on owning such things as Kinkajou, coatis and possums? Our laws here are so confusing?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Herp Nerd

Last I checked, Pennsylvania had a pretty vague set of laws that requires anyone owning "exotic wildlife" to get a permit from the Pennsylvania Game Commission. What is considered "exotic wildlife" is up to the game warden involved in any potential situation - though the law specifically only names bears, big cats and wolves as 'for instances'. I have heard many horror stories of people in Pennsylvania having sugar gliders, hedgehogs, chinchillas, skunks, foxes, and other pets confiscated, but I have nothing first hand to offer. Anyway, I wouldn't get any such animal before contacting the Game Commission and finding out the legality. The last thing you need is game wardens showing up, because I would be willing to bet any animal confiscated is destroyed. Also, don't forget to look at your local city/town laws too. Even if the state doesn't have a law about a certain animal, your city may.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
exotic, laws, pet