questions about chipmunk - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Van

questions about chipmunk

hi everyone,
i have a few questions about the chipmunks..could anyone help me out?
do chipmunks have an odor..?
do they poop n pee a lot?
do they pee or poop anywhere they like?

do they carry rabies ?
do they bite?
how much space do they need?

i'm looking for a chipmunk pet..but i don't know where they sell chipmunks..and some people said private breed chipmunk is better than buying one..
is anyone giving away baby chipmunk?

thank you

Last edited by Van; 12-06-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
hi everyone,
i have a few questions about the chipmunks..could anyone help me out?
do chipmunks have an odor..?
do they poop n pee a lot?
do they pee or poop anywhere they like?

do they carry rabies ?
do they bite?
how much space do they need?

i'm looking for a chipmunk pet..but i don't know where they sell chipmunks..and some people said private breed chipmunk is better than buying one..
is anyone giving away baby chipmunk?

thank you
Chipmunks have a slight musky odor but it's barely noticeable. They tend to poo and pee in one place making them fairly clean animals.

As a rule, chipmunks do not like to be handled and will often bite especially ones from pet shops. A private breeder will the better option and you'll be hard pushed to find one that's being given away for free.
They need a fairly large cage, it needs to be higher rather than wide with plenty of wooden toys and a nest box. Hammocks will be appreciated too

I'm not sure about rabies, it depends on where in the world you are. All mammals can get rabies but if you are from the UK, you don't need to worry about it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Chipmunks have a slight musky odor but it's barely noticeable. They tend to poo and pee in one place making them fairly clean animals.

As a rule, chipmunks do not like to be handled and will often bite especially ones from pet shops. A private breeder will the better option and you'll be hard pushed to find one that's being given away for free.
They need a fairly large cage, it needs to be higher rather than wide with plenty of wooden toys and a nest box. Hammocks will be appreciated too

I'm not sure about rabies, it depends on where in the world you are. All mammals can get rabies but if you are from the UK, you don't need to worry about it.
omg, thank you so much. you are so nice
i'm from USA, then most likely they will have rabies right. what do mean it's ok if the animal is from UK.
you're right it would be difficult to convince someone giving away their precious exotic pet.. oh well here goes another broken dream..
thanks again Macia
and have a great day

Last edited by Van; 12-10-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
omg, thank you so much. you are so nice
i'm from USA, then most likely they will have rabies right. what do mean it's ok if the animal is from UK.
you're right it would be difficult to convince someone giving away their precious exotic pet.. oh well here goes another broken dream..
thanks again Macia
and have a great day
Rabies doesn't exist in the UK so we're lucky. If you buy from a breeder, they won't have rabies but you may need to have him/her vaccinated against rabies.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
i'm from USA, then most likely they will have rabies right
I think you should look up some information about how rabies works.
http://www.avma.org/animal_health/br...s_brochure.asp

Rabies does exist in the US. Pets usually get rabies by coming into contact with wild animals who transmit the disease to them. No pet that you get with "most likely" have it. Generally, small mammals (as pets) do not to carry a risk of rabies because they do not go outside and interact with other animals. Cats and dogs are much more likely to get it if they are not vaccinated.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Herp Nerd

I haven't kept chipmunks, so don't have any direct care advice, but chipmunks, in fact most small rodents in general, are not considered to be a serious rabies vector at all. Most small animals that get it tend to die pretty fast. No animals just "carry" it, not even the traditional animals people think of when they think of rabies, like bats. They have to get it from somewhere. I can't imagine you'd ever find a chipmunk with rabies for sale, anywhere. Not to say insane things don't happen, but the chances are remote. You would certainly not find one from a captive breeder that had rabies, unless it was exposed to another animal that did have rabies. I also doubt there is any approved vaccination available for them, even if you wanted to vaccinate them for some odd reason.

There's a generalized rule when it comes to animals and biting: If they have a mouth, they are capable of biting. For most rodents, this is their only form of defense, if they can't get away and hide. So it's completely natural for them to bite when they feel threatened and/or scared. Buying any animal with the expectation that it will never ever bite you is unrealistic, at best.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Van

hi mtmaughan,
i'm scared of rabies ..'cause i had experience seeing a dog that got infected..he was very aggressive and wanted to bite anyone who was walking toward him..he just came out of no where in the dark..and people had to kill him..very sad but scary..

thanks for the information..now i know more about rabies..i don't think that i should chase after the wild rabbits anymore..haha..they were so adorable hopping around. my parents gave my bunny away cause she ate and pooped a lot . she was fat but very active whenever she was out of the case, it was really hard to catch her..i guess i get used to play with her..so every time i see rabbits..i start to chase them around like crazy....
anyway thanks

hello Ravnos,
i never had a chipmunk before too..so im just wondering how it feels to have a chipmunk in the house
you said "it's completely natural for them to bite when they feel threatened and/or scared"
i noticed that too, my kitty bit me and scratched me a lot when i tried to give her a bath..it was human vs cat moment..she was like..moew moew moew and i was like..ouch ouch ouch..i was little, i didn't know that cats dont like water and they have their own way to clean themselves.
thanks for stopping by and give me a head up about animal's biting and general information about the vaccine

wow ..i typed more than i think i would..lol
thanks everyone

Last edited by Van; 12-11-2009 at 01:22 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 AM

I completely forgot to add. You can't have just 1 chipmunk, they get very depressed when alone. So you will need at least 2
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I completely forgot to add. You can't have just 1 chipmunk, they get very depressed when alone. So you will need at least 2
really?
oy looking for one is hard..now i have to find 2 of them
i'm so jealous of you 'cause England doesn't have rabies
Marcia,i checked your Mongolian gerbils website..Mongolian gerbils look like those mice in the lap..are they the same..
btw they are so cute
thanks marcia
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

don't be worried about rabies.

One rabies is a disease like many others, it is fatal. Once an animal gets rabies they can not digest food their bites are just defense even if it is attacking in what appears to be aggression it is a very high fever that makes them kind of paranoid and aggressive.

two rabies is passed by bodily fluids, you can't just catch it randomly. Chances of you buying one with rabies is as likely as you meeting a person with rabies. Very slim.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
really?
oy looking for one is hard..now i have to find 2 of them
i'm so jealous of you 'cause England doesn't have rabies
Marcia,i checked your Mongolian gerbils website..Mongolian gerbils look like those mice in the lap..are they the same..
btw they are so cute
thanks marcia
No they're not the same
I prefer gerbils to any other rodent, they don't smell and they're really affectionate
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

Look for the Siberian chipmunks. I think they are most popular so easiest to find and easiest to find care info on.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Newborn Pup

Wow.

I am absolutely shocked at the amount of simple intelligence this thread is missing.