Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Richardson's Ground Squirrel

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JennLin22 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if these ground squirrels are legal in New York? I can't seem to find any information. I thought all squirrels were illegal but then again I thought the same for opossums and it turns out you can have short-tailed opossums.

I always wanted one but thought they were probably illegal since no one seems to have them here.

If they are legal I'm totally saving up for one :lol:.

#4 ·
Are you too far away to actually go to the store?
I just had my chipmunk shipped and he was fine when I picked him up. Good luck with getting one, they are definitely cute!
~Jenn

#5 ·
JennLin22 said:
Are you too far away to actually go to the store?
I just had my chipmunk shipped and he was fine when I picked him up. Good luck with getting one, they are definitely cute!
~Jenn
Well, I had wanted to have one shipped from S&S Exotics as I couldn't find any here :(.

And I checked the link you gave me and they are too far away as well...about three hours. I doubt my parents would drive me that far. It seems like a cool store, though, I wish I could visit!

#6 ·
Just a reminder... that a petstore sells it may not mean that they are legal... petstores care about the money... and well.. let's say that leopard geckos are ilegal, yet I got mine from a petstore... I've seen green iguanas, sun conures, RES turtles, sugar gliders, spotted newts, pacman frogs and cornsnakes in stores here and they are all ilegal.. not to mention the tarantulas and ferrets that I were offered by the manager of the petstore I frequent...

PS, don't worry about my ilegal animals, they do have a vet, who is my prof. and he works with exotics and he's the one that goes and sees all the ilegals around... he even has a RES turtle in his vet office... lol

#7 ·
Padfoot said:
Just a reminder... that a petstore sells it may not mean that they are legal... petstores care about the money... and well.. let's say that leopard geckos are ilegal, yet I got mine from a petstore... I've seen green iguanas, sun conures, RES turtles, sugar gliders, spotted newts, pacman frogs and cornsnakes in stores here and they are all ilegal.. not to mention the tarantulas and ferrets that I were offered by the manager of the petstore I frequent...

PS, don't worry about my ilegal animals, they do have a vet, who is my prof. and he works with exotics and he's the one that goes and sees all the ilegals around... he even has a RES turtle in his vet office... lol
I realize that and I would definately find out for sure before getting one. New York isn't too strict...we can have alot of exotics here :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.