Sea-Horses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Sea-Horses

Does anybody own or have owned a sea horse?
Can they give me some info on them please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:08 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I love seahorses. They are so beautiful.

Try this site. Seahorse Organisation. Keeping and Breeding Seahorses in the home aquarium.

From what I have heard they are not easy to keep.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i love them as well. all i know about them is that the males do the reproduction, not the females....

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of seahorses are you interested in?

The biggest issue with keeping them is feeding. Some species only eat live food and although others can be trained to eat frozen foods it's not always easy. They are really slow eaters so you have to target feed them and it can take a while. Also, they can't be housed with most other fishes because they will steal the seahorses' food. Oh, and they need to eat a lot...a few feedings a day is best.

They are sensitive to water-quality but that isn't different from most marine animals. You want to make sure there are shady areas so they can get away from the light if you are using a stronger lighting system (like metal halides). They also need places to perch...fake branching corals and sponges are fine.

I would definately try to get captive-bred seahorses since they are much hardier and might already be eating frozen foods .

I've never kept them but know many people who have and they interest me a lot. I am thinking of setting up a small desktop tank for dwarf seahorses.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Steph, I think you need to go to college and become a Marine Biologist, Oceanographer or something! Great info!

Rhonda

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
Steph, I think you need to go to college and become a Marine Biologist, Oceanographer or something! Great info!
Aww, thank you .

I love Marine Biology and would take classes if they were offered here.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks for the great info.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Rodentologist

We have a professional company that maintains our 5 tanks at work, and he refuses to do seahorse tanks because of all the upkeep, if that's any help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
RAT ADDICT

Seahorses are really interesting fish! I remember a few yrs ago a local store was selling them.They didn't sell well (probably because they are hard to keep) and well since then,I haven't seen them here since!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Newborn Pup

I know the main problem when i had a pair is the fact that you couldn't have a heavy stream of water flowing through the tank and you have to be extremly careful with putting in other fish, becuase of the fact that the new fish could be aggressive.

Proud MOM to:
7 Dogs- Sophie,Scruffy,Chase, Caytie, Loki, Rosco,and Tombstone.
2 Cats-Smokey and Charlie
1 Hamsters- Panda
1 Chinchilla- Lex Roxy
1 boyfriend- Mark
And 4 ferrets- Molly, Pepper, Aphyna, and Onzyx

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Playful Pup

i was planning on getting dwarf seahorses a few months ago. i had everything set up, but then couldn't find a reputable breeder that had them captive bred. i didn't want them to be sick or anything =/.

Tags
captive bred, reputable breeder