Should we get a flying squirrel? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Should we get a flying squirrel?

Ok Ok... I'm so into both of these animals but I know that I can only have 1... (flying squirrel and ferret) (for now!!! shh) I was wanting a sugar glider mostly because my mom wanted one for a while but I read about them and I just wouldn't have the time for them... So then I found alot of info one flying squirrels but no ups and downs of owning them- just basic feeding/housing/bonding info... I know that AngelaT just got one and he is incredibly adorable!! Does anyone really know the ups and downs of owning one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 08:10 PM

I don't know much about flying squirrrels, but what I do know is that "if" you do decide to get one make sure you get them when they are just weaned. After that you need to be able to have at least 2 hours per day to bond with it. I just located a good link for you to check out. Also if you go into the flying squirrel mansion link on this page there will be another place you can enter to a message board etc.

http://www.flying-squirrels.com/

I hope this is helpful!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

OMG! I was on this website when I got kicked offline and I couldn't find it for anything!! Thank you so much Brenda!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocheal
OMG! I was on this website when I got kicked offline and I couldn't find it for anything!! Thank you so much Brenda!!

"Great Minds Think Alike" Your very welcome!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 08:47 PM

Rocheal- I actually know quite a bit about Flying Squirrels. And there is no ups and downs to owning them! If you can believe that or not. They require alot of bonding time just like a sugarglider, but Squirrels have less tendency to have attitude. Flying Squirrels have been kept for many years infact Teddy Roosevelt had a Southern Flying Squirrel while he was the President!
They bond incredibly close to the person/s that bond with them. I don't agree with what Brenda said about getting them before they are a certain age. I know a lady named Tiffany who adopted a older female and she is more social than the other two she has, that she raised from a younger age. And you don't have to get them before they are weaned either, infact alot of breeder's only sell them while they are being hand fed. But if you do that then make sure you have planty of time to devote to it. If you don't feel comfortable then you can tell the breeder that you want to make sure it is weaned first.
The only down fall I can think of is thier tendency to suffer from Rickets, which is a calcium defency(spelling?) alot of people feed their flying squirrels Parrot food, which I don't believe in. I make all of Owen's food from recipes that I found on a web site for Clarissa Summer's who is a Squirrel Rehabilatator for the State of Texas and she has rehabed over 2000 squirrels! I'll attach the link a the bottom of this post. Also Tiffany the lady I mentioned earlier also has a website that I will attach.
Just do as much research as you can and in my opinion if your not willing to do the Clarissa diet then don't bother. 7 days of malnutrition can cause seizures and death so it is a serious thing. But then again some people keep their's alive on parrot food for along time, for me it was to big a risk.
Clarissa's Site is: www.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html
if that doesn't work then go to Hot Bot and type in Clarissa Summers Squirrel Care and it should be the first one.
and Tiffany's site is: www.babyflyingsquirrels.com
Hope I have been of some help if you nee anything else just let me know.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 09:44 AM

Well I thought of some other things that could be downs. And I also read my poor spelling from earlier and please excuse that I should really proof read!!!
Anyway what I meant to say is that there really isn't any downs but alot of ups, of course I own one and I think that anyone who owns a pet is going to have lots of good things to say.
They require a large cage at the least it should be 2ftx 2ft.x2ft. but bigger would be better. That is their home and at night while your sleeping they need to have room to glide around and play. That is another thing, they are nocturnal and I have been staying up alot later now that I have Owen, just when I get ready to go to bed is when he is lots of fun.
Althought the caging can be expensive, I found a parrot cage on E-Bay for cheap. A parrot cage will work as long as the spacing between the bars is no bigger than 1/2" at the biggest. Now if you know anything about parrot cages your biggest challenge will be finding a parrot cage that is big enough with bars spaced that small together.
You can also buy a cage made for sugargliders but IMO they aren't big enough. And they usually have different floors. A cage for a Flying Squirrel should be completely open, with no added floors.
You can also make your own, which knowing now what I know I probably would have just made mine out of the 1/2" mesh wire and made it to be the size I needed.
Also find somewhere that sells Manzanita Branches (I use Dr.Foster& Smith). There is really no safe pet store toy, so provide alot of branches and ropes and things like that. Try to stay away from any plastic in their cage it can be harmful if they ingest it, a plastic wheel will be okay but check regularly for chew marks.
I just went with manzanita because alot of wood is toxic to them(every friut tree is toxic except for apple, and also watch out for pecan wood as it is also toxic,infact everything on a pecan tree is toxic to a flying squirrel except for the meat of the nut) and they are also very sensitive to pesticides so don't just go out back and chop down some branches. With that being said, if you can buy organic fruit and veggies than do but still wash them. If you can't afford the organics(like me) then just make sure and cut the peel or rind off especially if waxed.
I think that's all for now but I'll probably think of more later!!

Last edited by angelaT; 11-19-2003 at 09:49 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Wow!!! That helped out alot...I'm so torn between the flying squirrel or the ferret.. I just dont have the time/money for them both at once right now!! Geeze, I don't know what to do....

Hmm... do flying squirrels chew? I know they probably chew as every animal pretty much experiments that way, but do they chew like chinchillas chew? Could I make him a cage with three 2 wooden sides, a wooden top and bottom, then mesh for the front and back?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 07:45 PM

Question

What are the main differences between flying squirrels and sugar gliders (besides being different species)?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 10:18 PM

Okay- Rocheal, Squirrels are rodents so their teeth constantly grow and yes they chew especially on wood. You could make the cage and just watch and when it start wearing down replace it.
You remember when I said if you have plastic in the cage just make sure to have more wood( I think I said that but if not just bear with me!!), it's because they will chew on the wood before they will chew on the plastic. They love wood!

Astarra- The differences between the two is squirrels are rodents and Sugargliders are marsupials, sugargliders get a little bigger a Southern Flying Squirrel will only get to be about 4oz.in weight as an adult. The flying squirrels don't have a mouth full of teeth just the four front and also they are strictly vegetarian.
Oh Rocheal I thought of a possible down to a Southern Flying Squirrel- they are only available from Oct.-Jan.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 09:42 AM

Thanks!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 12:36 PM

Your welcome
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 02:20 PM

I think the flying squirrels are soooo adorable!!!! I dont have any info tho.. hehe but it looks like you got a ton of it from Angela.. good luck deciding
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

You've been so helpful... I'm really loving these flying squirrel cuties! I guess I need to talk to Kevin.. Man- finding a cage would be challenging. I don't know how in the world you found a bird cage with 1/2" wire. We need to figure out what kind of animal we're getting so if we want a flying squirrel- we'll still have time to get one... You don't know how much I appreciate you helping me!! Thank you so much..

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might check out Martin's, Rocheal.

Stephanie

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

GUESS WHAT!!! We got a bunny (and Im going to Martin's for the perm. bunny cage soon!) He (she?) is sooooooooooooo cute!! Look at the story and her pics in the bunny section!! She is sooooo cute!! Thanks so much for all the help... I loved learning about the flying squirrels.

Tags
bird cage, flying squirrel, flying squirrels, pet store, southern flying squirrel, sugar glider, sugar gliders