Shrew - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Shrew

'Venemous little rats'.
Does anyone own one?
shrew - Google Search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I don't own one...but I see them a LOT
since my mom's cat "Tiny" brings them in the house..sometimes while still alive& she chases them!!
They look oh so cute xD

I honestly didn't know they could be kept as pets =D
Theres a lot in both my front& back yard& see them a lot in campers too,while cleaning for summer outings.
I also don't think they live long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

They're cute...

I don't think they would make very good pets though. They have a very very high metabolic rate, and need to eat constintly when not sleeping. They can litterally starve to death within a few hours without food. They eat insects, and things such as worms, snails, young mice, and sometimes even other shews. You would have to provide them with a constant supply of these types of food. Even if you did keep food with them constintly, they have very short lifespans. Some species don't usually live to be a year old, some can live up to 2.

Also, they live underground and live in tunnels where they find their food - they only come up from their tunnels occasionally. You would need to provide them with dirt to make tunnels because they get stressed out being out in the open. You would probably very rarly see them because they would always be underground.

Shrews are also pretty aggressive and in the wild will attack animals much larger then they are. Some species do inject toxins when they bite. You shouldn't ever pick up shews because their bites can be very painful and the pain can last for several days (due to the toxins).

And in case your wondering how the heck I know so much about shrews, I did a trapping inventory last summer so we put all kinds of traps out (including traps made to catch shrews, mice, and moles) to catch the wildlife to get a better idea what lived in the area and how many. We had to check the small shrew traps a billion times a day because if you don't release them quickly they will starve to death, or become overly stressed out and die. Also, we had to use a special kind of trap that was fully enclosed on all sides (no wires) because they don't like being out in the sun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 06-03-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

^^^
Awesome post!

Shrews would not make good pets.Many yrs ago when I was younger,me and my sisters caught a live shrew.I thought they were like mice (big mistake) and well I put it in a tiny cage and the next day it was dead.See...this was yrs ago and of course I didn't know anything about shrews then.I have done research after and well...I found out,I did everything wrong.Plus they are not pets.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Loopy AppleNose

Very cute little guys, but as has been stated multiple times, I do not believe they are a wise choice for pets.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Newborn Pup

Guess what!!! I am getting a shrew!!! Any advice?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

Most only live up to 28 days. They shouldnt be kept as pets. You better keep them in a tank because they can fit through holes half a cm in diameter.

Jessica

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

The person I talked about tat has one says it needs fed every three hours. It is fed crickets and worms ect.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

&
Angel Stewie

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Newborn Pup

Wow! They sound like the worst pet you could own! LOL.

It's LuvMeBre! I'm back. I have over 2000 posts and have been here over two years!! I love PT..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddiegal12 View Post
Guess what!!! I am getting a shrew!!! Any advice?
I wouldn't advise getting into caring for shrews unless you're really committed to caring for them. They're a fair bit of work.

First off, there are people out there who raise shrews. I started out with mice, then voles, and now I'm into shrews.

The number one thing is to provide them with an endless supply of food, otherwise they'll die. If you're not prepared to do that, don't trying keeping one.

To start with, you should be raising earthworms and mealworms. If you're into aquariums and know how to raise tubifex worms, add that to your list. You should also be raising crickets- either the brown variety commonly used as feeders or one of your local varieties. Raising slugs and small snails is a good idea too.

You see where this is going? We're talking a lot of work here, and the dedication to seeing it through.

Most of the shrew varieties I'm familiar with live 3 years, and more in captivity. There are short-lived varieties, but like short-lived voles, I stay away from them and would advise you to do the same. Meadow voles live only three months, so I raise red-backed voles, which live 2 years, and more in captivity.

Shrews will also eat dried and wet cat-food. They'll eat pepperoni, too, but just give them a little as a treat now and then. Same with a bit of hamburger. They will eat a bit of green matter, so it doesn't hurt to give them a small bit of mixed bird seed, or canary seed. In any case, change their food often, and don't let any meat get too old, or your shrew may become sick.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

This is a very old post

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie