Skunks! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 05:08 PM

Smile Baby Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlover
I just started my search for a baby skunk. I live in PA and heard that I need a permit to own a skunk here. Not sure where to start. Does anyone know of any breeders in PA or skunk shows?
i live in martinsburg pa,,,i know a breeder for skunks,racoons etc.but the reason im replying is to tell you that the pa game com. is trying to stop sale of these kind of pets.if it goes threw this will be the last year you can get one... im trying to get everyone i know to contact the pa game com. and protest this...or contact your local state represenitive... if you want a skunk email me and ill give the breeders email address... [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM

Smile baby skunk..racoon kits,etc

just to let everyone know that the pa game com. is trying to pass a law to stop sales of exotics like racoons,skunks etc.. im emailing everyone i know to contact the pa game com or your pa state rep and protest this..this may be the last year you can buy a skunk,racoon,etc. i think they are worried about rabies but a legit breeder will not have any more of a problem with this than a dog breeder...please help...dont let this happen.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Playful Pup

Talking

They are really sweet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmiller
just to let everyone know that the pa game com. is trying to pass a law to stop sales of exotics like racoons,skunks etc.. im emailing everyone i know to contact the pa game com or your pa state rep and protest this..this may be the last year you can buy a skunk,racoon,etc. i think they are worried about rabies but a legit breeder will not have any more of a problem with this than a dog breeder...please help...dont let this happen.
We are not allowd to have racoons or Skunks in Denmark. I really wanna have a racoon, they are so sweet
The school where im starting, they got 2 racoons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Help Domestic Skunks

Now that you know domestic skunks are out there, and are wonderful pets for the right family, please go to www.skunklaw.com and help them with their legal issues.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Playful Pup

my friend has a pet skunk, and it's pretty unpredictable around strangers. they're always so surprised by the way it acts when i go over there. it attacks my toes and tries to rip my clothing! it's a great pet around everyone in her family, though.

i don't know anything about skunks as pets, so this could be the exception rather than the rule.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 AM

Pet skunks and toes

I do not know what it is about toes, but pet skunks have a thing for them. Someone told me it is because they are near sighted and they think they see mice? I don't know about that theory, but we always wear socks in the house now. Penelops has never seen a mouse that I know of.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Newborn Pup

hey i am new here do i need a usda license to sll or give a skunk away
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Hello Earthling

This is an old thread

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 AM
I am allergic to maths

Its extremely old... its from 2004
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Newborn Pup

I just wanted to state why raccoons should never be bred as pets or tried to be domesticated. Raccoons are rabies vector species. This means they do not have to get it from another animal, they CARRY it. A breeder will not know if the animals has it or not unless it is killed and tested. DOGS are not rabies carriers. So whoever made the comment about it being no more of a problem then a dog breeder really needs to educate themselves. Raccoons can carry rabies and act completely normal. You would never know that the animal carries it until it actually turns into the the virus/infection and they turn rabid and act weird. Just because a raccoon acts normal all its life does not mean it does not have rabies.
Another thing is Raccoon round worm. Raccoons carry this in their feces. The animal will leave the feces and another animal will become infected and paralyzed so they become easy prey. If you come in contact with Raccoon feces you can EASILY get RRW yourself and to this day there is no cure for it.
AS a wildlife rehabber we take all precautions even with the cute little babies, wearing thick gloves and have our pre-exposure rabies shots.
Raccoons will never be fully domesticated and will always be a risk to humans. As cute and loveable as they can be, they can be nasty the net day, especially if they have pups around.
A Raccoon that was hand raised and used to people can easily snap and have a wild streak and decide one day to not be sop friendly. People really need to educate themselves before going to sign a petition to allow wild animals as pets. Not only is it a risk but it is cruel to the species.
( I know this thread is old but the info isn't)
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

That is NOT true. No animal just caries rabies. If they get it they die from it like everything else. Rabies vector means in the wild they tend to get it more than other species, raccoons, foxes, bats, and skunks tend to get labeled this way but there is no such thing as a carrier that never develops symptoms but passes it around.

Infected animals do not shed the virus until they start to show symptoms. Some animals display dumb rabies, where instead of being manic they seem "tame". If you come across a seemingly tame wild animal it is probably rabid and that IS displaying a symptom and it is going to die. A breeders raccoons not exposed to wildlife will not develop the disease out of nowhere.

Also vaccines work on exotics they just refuse to approve them for that use for public use but they do have approval for wildlife vaccine for non-public use. Breeders usually vaccinate their babies.

The odds of a domestic skunk having raccoon round worm is also extremely and they are nominally on a regular worming schedule just in case. The risk in general is not all that high anyway. The largest problem is in young children who eat dirt contaminated with wild raccoon feces and it sometimes causes blindness.

There is a number of worms that in the wrong host can migrate to other organs of the body any of these could migrate to the brain, including one house cats can carry. The odds of any of them infecting someone and migrating and infecting the brain or eyes to the point of causing major symptoms is very small, especially if you wash your hands after handling poop.

Dogs and cats carry worms that can kill your children http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...prevention.htm
Domestic;y raised exotics are at a lower risk than most dogs and cats of getting rabies. Many people still do not vaccinate their dogs and cats and let them run loose.

"Occasionally larvae become trapped in the small blood vessels behind the eye (Ocular Larva Migrans) or in the brain." http://www.petevents.com.au/news_articles/16.shtml

Human toxocarosis via pets vs. Baylisascaris http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...roundworm.html
It should be noted that visceral larva migrans and ocular larva migrans in humans (and other animals) can also be caused by feces of other animals - most notably pet dogs and cats. Human infection with the toxiocaris larvae of canine or feline roundworms is known collectively as toxocariasis. All cases of toxocariasis come from pets, according to the Texas Dept. of Health, Div. of Zoonosis Control, which states an estimated 10,000 new cases of roundworm infection occur in children every year, most often as a result of eating dirt contaminated with animal feces. Most human infections are mild enough to go unnoticed and apparently produce no permanent damage. However sometimes infection results in severe and even fatal disease. Common symptoms include abdominal pain, headache, weakness, lethargy and wheezing. Due to the public health significance, it is important to distinguish Baylisascaris from Toxocara. Not to minimize the risk, but in many states raccoons are being systematically euthanized because of the panic over perceived danger of transmission of the raccoon roundworm to humans as a result of two documented cases (one a fatality) to date, including a case in 1998 where a child in Pacific Grove, California was infected by eating bark on firewood that had been contaminated by raccoon feces. Over 177 local wild raccoons were systematically executed before a lawsuit by the City's concerned citizens brought the killings to a halt. Eradication of raccoons will not prevent the very rare disease visceral larva migrans in humans. However, education and some common sense might.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Angel Stewie

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

oh my gosh I want a skunk

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This thread has really derived from the original subject!

I am a wildlife rehabilitator in new york state, where it is illegal to have a pet skunk, and you need a class II license to take care of them. I have a class I but was helping a class II, and I think they are some of the cutest babies!

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Oh they are adorable! I've never seen a baby skunk before! They are CUTE!!!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Those are adorable!!! Do you ever get any spotted skunks, those are the sweetest So you release them back or sell them for pets?

Too cute!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
litter box, wonderful pets