Skunks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Skunks

I've been playing with the idea of getting a pet skunk, I've read up on them but i will admit i don't know of any shelters or breeder who have skunks ?? Then i got to think that (like ferrets) aren't allowd in California . Does anyone own a pet skunk?? or have any info for me??

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Oily Chickenspew

there are a ton of skunks on our ranch though, they are a tad bit stinky

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

lol the pet skunks have their cent glands removed, which doesn't seem very nice but as long as they don't feel scared in a home they wont need them no?

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ferrets are decented too

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:27 AM
TVR

We dont descent ferrets in the UK... non of mine were ever decented lthough they were all neutered.
I have a friend with a pet skunk (a descented one) and so long as the glads are removed when the skunk is young (i.e before they are actually able to use them) then they never know that they even have them as they never knew they were there. The problems only arise when you get a skunk that it descented at an older age and has become accustomed to using its glands. If you take away this defence it must be very scary for the skunk.

They make great pets though, a skunk has less smell than a ferret in my opinion and they are so affectionate.

Kat

Thames Valley Rodents
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I can't have a ferr. though they aren't allowd in California.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

ive always thought it would be really cool to have a pet skunk, i suggest you do alot of reserch before you even consider looking for a breeder.. heres a good place to start.. Owners Of Pet Skunks: Deciding to Own?

My Furry Family
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would love a pet skunk too they are too cute, around here though i would be worried if it got out ever it would for sure get shot they are super cute though. actually at our humane society there was a dog that no one was willing to adopt because he looked so much like a coyote that they were worried hed be shot too. silly iowa farmers...

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I love skunks...I want one really badly (but I think I'd be more likely to rescue then to actually go to a breeder). Sadly, they are illegal here .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm still doing homework and have been for a while now (around 2 weeks) and i wont be getting one soon. I'm just adding to my info , thanx btw for all the extra help. Thanx for the link too.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Playful Pup

I saw a skunk while i was at work today! a first for me, a woman was out walking one on a harness and came in our shop. It had been desented and cost £500 and they were on the waiting list for 8 months before they were contacted by the breeder. I was told it had simular eating habbits to a dog but was alot easier to look after. It was just like holding a small dog and didnt smell at all. I was in love lol, if only i could afford one.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireo
I saw a skunk while i was at work today! a first for me, a woman was out walking one on a harness and came in our shop. It had been desented and cost £500 and they were on the waiting list for 8 months before they were contacted by the breeder. I was told it had simular eating habbits to a dog but was alot easier to look after. It was just like holding a small dog and didnt smell at all. I was in love lol, if only i could afford one.
so next time you see her get her get the breeders number and pass it on
i so want a skunk

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Curmudgeon

Skunks can be cool pets if you have the right environment. Unfortunately, they don't age well or long . They are really only a fun pet for a few years.

There is also the everpresent threat of rabies with a skunk. They can be non-symptomatic carriers, and no rabies vaccine is proven to work on skunks. This is a real problem in some ways.

For instance, some insurance companies will drop your homeowner's insurance if they find you have a skunk.

In most (if not all) municipalities, it the skunk even slightly nips or scratches anyone, it will have to be euthanized and examined for rabies. Since they can carry the disease for unknown periods of time, they can't be held in quarantine like a dog, to see if they show symptoms.

Many skunks get a bit nippy as they get older, and if your neighbor or friend gets bitten, say goodbye to your pet.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Hey thanx for the update! I wont lie I know pretty much nothing about skunks, other than what i've been learning online.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
There is also the everpresent threat of rabies with a skunk. They can be non-symptomatic carriers, and no rabies vaccine is proven to work on skunks. This is a real problem in some ways.
Luckily, the lady that was seen walking her skunk would be fine since the UK is rabies-free.

Tags
humane society, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan, pet store