The Skunks ! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 11:40 AM
KK-

My poor dog, he has no clue why she is stalking him, he just kind of looks at her like she's lost her mind or something. I've actually put him outside for most of the day the last couple to give him some peace LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:11 PM

OMG , they sound so cute to have as a pet. I emailed the resident expert on diet this spring because I had 11 little bundles of joy in the form of wild skunks come to me to rehab and release. I thank you skunkluv for the info and all 11 are healthy happy and release about 1 month ago. LOL they did end up escaping even with all the prep work i did. 3 of them anyway , I had to go to the center get wild live traps catch the little lllllll 's and fix the pen and put them back in, it took only 1 night to catch all three but i think that was because there was evidence that they had been trying to dig their way back into the pen once they were out lmao.,after all that was where the food was and their nice warm bed. I knew though when it was time for them to go because you could just see it in the way they acted. It is so sad seeing them go though.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:31 PM
Princess in Waiting

Oh boy, I know that "look", PossumMom. I worked primarily with raccoons, but would take just about anything people brought my way (toward the end I started rejecting songbirds - but had found someone else who would take them) Nobody could understand how I could spend so much time with my little 'coon buddies then let them go. But it's that "look" - and with 'coons the pacing that goes along with it. You realize that your job is done and it is time for nature to take its course.

In my years of rehab I only encountered one skunk. She was adorable and fit in the palm of my hand. She knew no fear. We kept her in the house at first but Bubba and Erin kept insisting she was spraying - but she never did around me and I couldn't smell it. So we moved her to an outside cage that was raised. We'd open the door to feed her, have some love time, etc., and she would just walk right out the door, fall on the ground, and keep on going!

We also had a dr at the ER who had a friend bring in her pet skunk one night for something. It was HUGE. Know why? She fed it nothing but Cheetos! Talk about some tongue biting around that place that night. Every tech there was just dying to give her a speech on proper diet, but it wasn't our place since the dr was her friend. We hoped that she took care of that!

I love those pictures - very cute. And I think in FL it is legal to have just about anything isn't it?

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Skunkluv

I'm so glad that all of those babies were able to be released! Sounds like you did a GREAT job preparing them for a wild life. I know that they thank for for all of your work!

And yes, you can get just about anything here in Florida. Which is good and bad all at the same time, you know? I wish they would make it a LITTLE more difficult to get some of these exotics...

Michelle

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Princess in Waiting

I know what you mean - I think there should be a bit more control.

In KY it is illegal to have a Quaker parrot. But you wouldn't believe the number of people who own "Gray-cheeked parakeets"! They really can be a nuisance bird when they get out of control in an area and continue to breed. Talk about a noise!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 08:49 PM

Oh yeah they all loved to see the wild life again lol. We had over 80 someodd racoons this year but they are at the center. I managed to get through the whole foster mom to skunks with out any complaints from neibours lol. I have fostered the skunks , squirrels and lots of opossum this year here at home. I love them all but the possum are a really neat animal. I have one baby here that was born way to late and it seems i may have to winter him, which is going to be hard to have to release him come spring. Hard on him too though with him being alone all winter. keeping him wild is the challenge then.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:52 PM

Kool! When i lived with my mother, they use to spray all the time and i hated it but i think that they are soooooooo cute!:hershey:
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:47 AM
Princess in Waiting

An interesting bit of trivial information (I'm a reasure trove of it!). A friend of mine told me that when friends from England visited her was the first time that they had experienced the aroma of a skunk and that they just LOVED it. Having not smelled it before and been conditioned from childhood to think "That stinks!" they didn't think that it did.

Bub and I disagree on diesel fumes from buses. Some of my best geeky times in highschool were spent going on trips with the band on a diesel powered bus, so it has a pleasant association to me. He'll drive 100 mph to get away from the smell - not even allowing my my journey down memory lane!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:52 AM
Skunkluv

ROFL!! Do you know that there are mail lists just for people that like the smell of skunk? You can even buy skunk scented towels!

Michelle

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Princess in Waiting

I don't think I'd go quite that far - but I have tried to re-condition myself so that it isn't the worst thing in the world!!

However, if they could capture the essence of raccoon and put it on some little fingers that explore your ears and nose . . . .

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:42 PM
luvnstuff

Eeeeee

Skunk scented towels? egads..

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:51 PM

Smile

Oh critter there is nothing in this world like little coon hands exploring your face is there.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:07 PM
Princess in Waiting

Not to me!! Bubba used to love to throw one in bed with me to wake me up. Always got me up on the good side of the bed. I really do miss dealing with all those little critters!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 06:07 PM

I don't mind the smell of skunk. I wouldn't buy skunk scented towels or anything but the smell doesn't bother me at all-I actually like it a little bit.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 10:07 PM
Princess in Waiting

After talking to my friend about her British friends, I started trying to re-train my way of thinking about it. I'm not nearly as bad about it as my husband or daughter - I think it's a mental thing! But I don't think I would go for the towels or spritz on any "Eau de Skunk" for an evening out!

Maybe Wendy from UK could give us her opinion.......

I have noticed that we don't smell them nearly as much in FL as we did in KY.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

Tags
chin room, dog food, pig food