Southern Flying Squirrel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Southern Flying Squirrel

I'v heard different opinions on this from many different places so I figured I'd ask here. We are going to be getting a 3month old squirrel and I was told that she will never bond with us and someone else said she will but it will take a while. Any opinions?

Also I've read that carrying them in a bonding pouch for a couple hours a day will help in the bonding is this true? Does anyone here have a bra baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yes and no on the pouch. If you were tinny and some big unknown to you beast stuck you in a pouch and carried you around and you couldn't get out how would you feel? These aren't marsupials where this would be natural for them. If they did this everyday for months you would stop fighting and eventually assume by repetition that they wont hurt you when they do this but would you like them? Would you willing come to them when they open the cage or try to hide knowing the pouch could be next? So tame yes but bonding no.

You will just need to take it very slow. You give her her food and try to get her to take treats from your hand. Sit near her or in her cage if it's big enough(It should be big enough if there is a big enough opening) so that she can get used to your presence and you not being a threat.

Was she tame before coming to you, that will make a big difference. But even tame exotics often do not rehome well. You just need to be patient and hope.

Mary
Quasi - - - - Hyzzie - - - - - Pua - - - Jupiter - - - Kat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Angel Stewie

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Playful Pup

usually flying squirrels can bond with more than one person, so even though she is three months old you should be able to bond with her if you spend a LOT of time together.

Tags
flying squirrel, flying squirrels