Spiny Mice - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Will It Ever Change?

spinies dont' smell, they are natural desert dwellers, and have 25% the urine of reg mice. it's slightly more concentrated, but if you're late on the cage cleaning you wouldn't notice by smell, i always had to check my calendar lol.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
spinies dont' smell, they are natural desert dwellers, and have 25% the urine of reg mice. it's slightly more concentrated, but if you're late on the cage cleaning you wouldn't notice by smell, i always had to check my calendar lol.
Yeah, mine didn't smell either and they were both male .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Im getting a spiny mouse tomorrow! Guess your in luck for some first hand! I have some good info from sasami, so I will be trying the bathtub mothod to tame my one tomorrow. Im not sure if my input will be much good tho, cuz my spinie has had a ruff start, thats why im taking it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Playful Pup

I got a spiny mouse on Saturday and I'm already in love. I am in desperate need of another though, the place I got him from had only him left, and it was a spontanious buy, though I had been looking for spiny mice for a while. I was wondering if anyone knew any breeders anywhere near NC, or if they were willing to ship. I need a friend for my Spiny Mouse!!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Playful Pup

Know this is an old post....but I now have four spiney mice (all males). They were in a very bad situation (originally were 7 males all kept in one of those habitrail orbs!!!) So, now there are four, and all had pretty bad injuries. They are now three in a 20L aquarium, and one by himself in a smaller cage (I have tried to reunite, but they all gang up on him....he seems very happy by himself, actually). But last night there was fighting w/the three, so I may have to take one more out.....gggggrrrrrrrrr....gonna have cages everywhere at this rate! lol
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1264 View Post
Know this is an old post....but I now have four spiney mice (all males). They were in a very bad situation (originally were 7 males all kept in one of those habitrail orbs!!!) So, now there are four, and all had pretty bad injuries. They are now three in a 20L aquarium, and one by himself in a smaller cage (I have tried to reunite, but they all gang up on him....he seems very happy by himself, actually). But last night there was fighting w/the three, so I may have to take one more out.....gggggrrrrrrrrr....gonna have cages everywhere at this rate! lol
Try a bigger tank, a 20L is kinda small for three males. They're pretty territorial. Spinies need more room than domestic mice, they're extremely active.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Playful Pup

I want to build them something bigger. Trust me, the woman had SEVEN MALES all in one of the habitrail orbs (there are only 4 left and they all had injuries!!!) What size would they need? This is my first time having them (and I took them just to get them out of the situation they were in....that was animal abuse in my eyes!!!) Thank you! What about diet, they are pretty picky eaters, it seems (they lived on Chex Mix before I got them.....did I mention animal abuse?)
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1264 View Post
I want to build them something bigger. Trust me, the woman had SEVEN MALES all in one of the habitrail orbs (there are only 4 left and they all had injuries!!!) What size would they need? This is my first time having them (and I took them just to get them out of the situation they were in....that was animal abuse in my eyes!!!) Thank you! What about diet, they are pretty picky eaters, it seems (they lived on Chex Mix before I got them.....did I mention animal abuse?)
Something around the size of a 40-gallon aquarium would be ideal, with lots of hiding places and things to climb on. Bigger is always better with spinies .

I fed mine a rodent mix (I'll have to get back to you on the name, I can't remember), live insects (mealworms and crickets), eggs, dog food (Innova brand but anything high-quality works), and small amounts of vegetables.

The idea is to feed a diet that's high in protein but low in fat and sugar. They're prone to obesity and diabetes so keep that in mind. It's easier to over-feed than under-feed so watch how much you give them to eat.

~Stephanie

Tags
cage cleaning, dog food, exotic pets, fancy mice, lab block, lab blocks, male mice, pet store, reputable breeder, spiny mice, spiny mouse, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters