Spiny Mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Spiny Mice

I was wondering if anyone had spiny mice and if so what are they like as pets? I have fancy mice would they be the same tameness wise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I used to have them .

They make great pets IMO but I can't compare them to fancies since I've never had them.

Spiny mice can be tamed but they are definitely not domestic animals. They are not cuddly pets and some can be rather mouthy. I've handled several and had two of my own. Both of mine were friendly and would leap out of the tank when I opened the top. However, one was a bit nippy and didn't like feeling restrained or confined. The other was a complete sweetheart and enjoyed being pet. They both loved to play and run around.

They can be wild and are difficult to catch if they get loose, lol. The trick is finding a reputable breeder who handles their mice on a regular basis. You do NOT want to get ones from a petstore who doesn't socialize their animals. It can be difficult to tame wild adults...but not impossible.

Now on to the positives . They are intelligent animals who can learn their names, come when called, use a litterbox, etc. Spiny mice learn very quickly and can be taught games and tricks. Spiny mice aren't as smelly as fancy mice or hamsters. Also, once you gain their trust most will bond closely to you... some even groom their owners. Spinies live longer then regular mice, too, which is a plus. And because they aren't mass bred like fancies they don't have a ton of genetic problems.

It's important that you feed a good diet. Spiny mice need a diet high in protein and fiber but low in fat and sugar. It's not a good idea to feed a ton of calcium, either. High-quality lab blocks are a good staple but they should get other foods too. I made sure to feed high-protein foods like eggs, Innova dog food, chicken, and gut-loaded crickets (they love hunting insects). Mine also got small amounts of fresh vegetables and an occasional nut or piece of bread as a treat.

You'll want to keep them in a tank since many spinies will chew through plastic. They are escape artists . Since they are smart and active animals keep them entertained with lots of toys and let them out daily. Mine were let out at least twice a day. The first time they would get to explore an enclosed area or the bathtub...I'd hide food and provide lots of toys and things to climb on. Afterwards I'd handle them and give them each a small treat. Later on they'd be let out again and this time they would usually run around in their exercise balls and afterwards I'd give them a little attention before bed.

Here is a great website: Spiny Mouse Care Basics

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

cool, I was consideringgetting two or three some day down the road from now. How big do they get?

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey
cool, I was consideringgetting two or three some day down the road from now. How big do they get?
I never measured mine and am bad at estimating but they are larger then fancy mice and smaller then Syrian hamsters.

Here are some pictures of mine:

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

aww how cute. they're not too big. Do they bite alot at first?

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've never been bitten . By "mouthy" I meant nibbling and sometimes nipping at hands...but not enough to break the skin. They can be nippy at first, especially petstore spinies, but if you take things slowly you shouldn't have any issues. I've found that they don't like feeling restrained so rather then holding them I think it's better to let them climb on your arms or sit on your hand on their own. Grabbing an unsocialized spiny mouse will almost surely get you bitten. Once they get to know you they rarely nip, though.

Remember that they aren't domestic animals so they can be trickier to handle...especially when you first get them. But once tame I've found that they are very affectionate .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

yeah that's what I've read. But I wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience with them and see what they thought. Thank you so much for your input

1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Will It Ever Change?

my two girls were very mouthy, but i rescued them from a pet store that was closing down, they'd been through their share. i could never hold them for more than 1 min without getting bitten, so i always wore blue double thick dishgloves. they were such curious sweeties though, always have bright eyes and always come to say hello.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

yeah if I get some it'll be from an exotic petshop they're the only ones with them. But discouraged I am NOT! hehehe.. And cute pics mulder

1 Cat- Luna
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you must get them from a petstore I would get babies and definitely avoid full-grown adults since they are much harder to tame.

One of mine, Osiris, was bought as an adult but he had been pretty much handled from birth .

~Stephanie

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

thanks for the tip

1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I haven't kept any spiny mice.
So I have no input (sorry!!) I just wanted to sneak in to see what info I could find

Cute pics Steph& Natalie

I have kept lots of fancy mice though.
I love fancy mice,but if you get a few of those (especially if you have males) you'll smell them.This is referring to fancy mice.Not spiny
I have 2 girl fancy mice& I don't notice a smell from them at all.
I adore them =D

Spiny mice look cute.
I don't know much on them though& don't know a breeder in Newfoundland...
so,even if I do research...i'm out of luck there

Last edited by candyraver; 05-28-2007 at 06:17 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

I get bio oder for my males and my females dont smell nearly as bad as the boys. That reffering to my fancies.

1 Cat- Luna
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Thanks! I'll have to look into it,then I can keep
male miceys again =D

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

with bioder some mice may need more than others and some will have no smell with it some will have a slight smell. I guess it depends on the mouse but anyways your welcome.

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
cage cleaning, dog food, exotic pets, fancy mice, lab block, lab blocks, male mice, pet store, reputable breeder, spiny mice, spiny mouse, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters