Striped Skunk - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Striped Skunk

Striped Skunk
Mephitis mephitis

Description
Typically black with 2 broad white stripes on back meeting in cap on head and shoulders; thin white stripe down center of face. Bushy black tail, often with white tip or fringe. Species coloration varies from mostly black to mostly white. Male larger than female. L 20 –31" (522–800 mm); T 7 1/4 –15 1/2" (184–393 mm); HF 2 1/4 –3 1/2" (57–90 mm); Wt 6–14 lb (2.7–6.3 kg).

Click for the article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Skunkluv

Aren't they adoreable? This is a pic of my daughter with one of our skunks, Thumper. He is a black and white chip, similar to a classic.

Skunkluv

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 07:51 PM
Skunkluv

And this is what happens with improper care. I tried to take this so people would be able to see a size comparison. Daisy is the small black and white chip and weighs five pounds. Van Gogh is a milk chocolate and weighs nine pounds, and FLash is one of our rescues. He came to us weighing 23 pounds. He should be about the same size as Van. He's also obviously bright yellow, due to a diet of dog and cat food, cheese and other junk. He's losing weight, but still has a very long way to go, and he still can't lift his tail.

Skunkluv

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 07:55 PM

Oh i just love skunks. I have one of my famous terrible pics of a rescue that i did last summer. Right in the middle of the city. I wish i could own one of these little dolls. They are so adorable. I released 5 of them in July.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 09:34 PM
Skunkluv

Look how cute!! So tiny! I have another on reserve for myself this spring. I'm so excited, I can't stand it.

Skunkluv

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 09:47 PM

My first skunk rescue all they told me was to watch for him to stomp his back feet lmao. As these guys are wild and intact I knew about the raised tail but this don't worry about that just if they stomp their feet. This little guy tail raised and i was doing some quick pick up and tuck the tail action. They are so adorable and playful. I got a couple of monthes with him then off he went. The releases are tough. You are very lucky, yours are all captive bred and raised aren't they.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Skunkluv

LOL! Yes, mine are all domestic skunks. In the wild, shoot...even in captivity!....skunks raise their tail and stomp their front feet at you as a warning. The really will only spray as a last resort, or if they are startled. My guys do it all the time. If I startle them while they are sleeping, if one of the dogs or ferrets disturbs them, and even in play. It really is hilarious. They run and stomp all at the same time, then "put on the breaks" and sometimes wind up doing somersaults. Spotted skunks will do this and raise up in to a handstand. Their rear feet will come right up off the ground!!

Skunkluv

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 10:03 PM

LOL that is too funny. Our worst thing with spraying was when we decided to put two little ones together. We had all these skunks, possums etc all coming in at once so it was decided to try putting these two together. Well it was hillarious (for a minute that is ) they went nose to nose made some strange sounds started stomping then just imagine the gunfighters and their ten paces, their both turned around took a couple of steps and let each other have it ... this was in the nursery at the center. They spent the day outside needless to say. Other then that only one person got sprayed all summer which is amazing.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 10:09 PM
Skunkluv

LOL! Now THAT is funny!

Skunkluv

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 10:14 PM

How old are they when you get your babies. I believe this guy was about 8 to 10 wks old is what they had him listed as. He loved laying on his back and kicking much like a kitten. Really playful and loving little guys
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Skunkluv

Hmmm...the pic is a little fuzzy, but he seems smaller than eight to ten weeks.

I get my skunks through my skunk association, so they are about four weeks old. The age of a pet shop skunk will vary, depending on when they came in. I know that I can pick up my baby two days after she gets in the state, so I'm positive about her age. The shop here near me tried telling people that the skunks they had were three months old, when I knew for sure that they were much older, because they came in the same shipment mine did! They also were big, had never been out of the box they were living in, and desperately needed to be spayed and neutered. So, you can't always trust the shops.

But regardless, young skunks love to play! Mine loved little krinkle balls last year.

Skunkluv

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

So, are they alot like owning a cat? Do you need to keep them caged when you aren't home? Do they bite frequently? I've been wanting a skunk for years now. I almost got one when I went to Florida about 6 years ago but I didn't want to impulse buy, and I didn't know if it was illegal to have one in Michigan. I think you have to have a permit in Michigan. Where do you go to obtain a permit? I would like to get a skunk eventually, maybe in a couple of years. Until then I'll have to admire everyone else's. sigh
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 07:58 PM
Skunkluv

Sorry I haven't replied to everyone yet! I've been swamped with show preparations.

Scarlette, yes, they are similar to owning cats. But, they are also similar to owning dogs. Confusing, I know. You cannot, under any circumstances, keep them caged. When I'm not home, they usually sleep anyway, plus you would have your home skunk proofed. As babies, we do use a "safe room", usually a bathroom. After they master the litter box, we introduce them to one room at a time. This assures that they know where the litter boxes are (yes, you would need more than one), and that they aren't overwhelmed with their surroundings. Skunks can bite. Some are just nippy, but these are usually the ones that are rescues and/or the ones that were not taught properly as babies. You just have to know how to nip it in the bud when it starts.

I'm in Florida too! Very easy to get them here. In Michigan you would get a permit from your Fish and Wildlife Department. But, you would also need to get one from a breeder within the state, and he doesn't have breeding stock right now. But he should within the next couple of years.

Tyguy, he's something else, isn't he?? Yes, he'll eventually be back to his normal weight and color, but it is going to be a very long road. And, his health will be forever compromised.

Ok, back to the grind. Only 12 days left until show time!!!

Skunkluv

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:05 PM

help

Skunkluv - I hear you help people find skunks? Want to do it again?

Tags
captive bred, cat food, litter box, litter boxes, pet shop