Venmous Spider?!?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Venmous Spider?!?!

Okay heres the thing. I just went into my back yard to get my neighbors cat off the back wall, shes a kitten. Got out 2 days ago, so i saw her and went toget her so i could give her back.

Well i felt something on my hand and it was a HUGE spider. Now dontget me wrong i love spidies, but this thing was HUGE. I had never seen it b4 and instinct prevailed i smacked it off my hand and stepped on it.

Anyway walked towards my front door and the exact spider only a little smaller was standing there-- Now im creeped, so i caught it and i have it in an enclosed container with teeny tiny holes for air,

Can anyone help me figure out what he is if i post pictures??!?!?!

I have no knowlegde of this spider, and I have been serching the internet for about 30 min now.

Please help i want to know weather its venomus or not so i can do something about it for the safety of my ZOO !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pictured are:
Center my 6yr old Ferret Cinnamin
Lower Left Corner: my 13ft 30lb Dwarf Reticulated Python Squigs.
Upper Right Corner: My 3yr old Ball Python Kona.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
These are only a few of my managorie im missing 2 more snakes, my hamster, and my 2 torts.
Hey what can i say other than... I Live At A Zoo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also The rottie in My Avatar is My 5yr old Seymur & my 10 Yr old German Shepherd Shaddow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Curmudgeon

I don't think you have anything to worry about for your animals. There are no native, dangerous spiders that fit the description you gave.

Black Widows, Brown Recluse, and Hobo spiders are all pretty small, inoffensive looking spiders.

Large spiders are typically wolf spiders or native tarantulas... neither of which has venom of any medical significance. The pain is similar to that of a wasp sting, with some occasionally disconcerting numbness or tingling that can last for a few days...

That's not to say that there aren't occasional dangerous "visitors", like some of the so-called S. American "Banana" spiders. Due to modern fumigation and handling, we hardly ever see any spiders coming in on fruit shipments anymore, ....although they do occasionally sneak through. It's really doubtful you'd find one unless you live next door to a large import/export facility or a large supermarket perhaps...

If you post a picture, I can probably identify it for you if you'd like.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Post a picture, but like Mygala said, most spiders aren't poisonous. Although these spiders can cause allergic reactions in some people, for the normal person, it only causes like a mosquito bite when bitten.

If the spider was big, it was probably a wolf spider, or sometimes around here we get big huge yellowish looking spiders.

(what are those called anyway? does anyone know? They're have almost a yellowish body, and they can get HUGE. I live in maryland and usually around September, they swarm our house outside around the light. I went out one day and counted 15 webs...lol)

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hey Bob. I live across from a Super Walmart and a Super Target?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Here is a photo of the creepy dude!

pictured are:
These are only a few of my managorie im missing 2 more snakes, my hamster, and my 2 torts.

Also The rottie in My Avatar is My 5yr old Seymur & my 10 Yr old German Shepherd Shaddow!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I do know its not a huntsman, recluse, or wolf spider. It doesnt match their descriptions or photos.

I have never seen a dude like this before.

Deffinatly not a bananna!

pictured are:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

We get spiders like that around our house when the temp starts to drop a little. Usually they just chill in their web. So I would just leave it alone. I doubt if it's poisonous

*Missy*
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Do you have a college or university near you? you may be able to find a bug guy to identify it since you have it in a jar. That's what my dad did when he found a black widow near our barn. I told him to kill it but he liked keeping it in the jar unti he gave it to the bug guy.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

no UC Davis is te closest and thats about 11hrs away.

pictured are:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

ouch....our closest is Clarion Uni about 15 minutes. My friend's dad was the bug guy so we got lucky. It really freaked me out that there were black widows around my house.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Spiders are finnicky things. The venomous breeds are those listed above unless you have the allergy (like I have). I wouldn't worry about your rodents, Chances are they WON'T get bitten. Usually when someone gets bit it's because the spider is crawling on these HUGE mountains (a person) and that mountain rolls over and freaks the spider out. I wouldn't worry one bit. I'm not sure where u live, but a lot of times when it starts getting colder out (since it is winter after all) you notice some species of spiders over other species.

*Missy*
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Curmudgeon

It's a little difficult to tell exactly what that spider is from the pictures. The easiest way to rule out the "bad" spiders from the "good" in this case, would be to have a close up picture of the eyes. Here is what I mean by that.

Markings on spiders can be very unreliable for precise identification. In the bottom picture it looks like there are stripes on the cephalothorax, but they don't seem apparent on the top picture. Given body shape and size, I'd go with one of the Lycosa or Hololena species.

Whichever species it is, it isn't dangerous to you or your pets. That doesn't mean that you should handle it or anything, but it's not one of the spiders you need to worry about.

Did you notice any webs about? Wolf spiders (Lycosa) are wanderers, they don't use a web to capture prey (although there is one exception in California, Sosippus, that does use a funnel type web). They come in a multitude of shapes and sizes, as well as a variety of markings.

The other possibility is that it is one of the native funnel-web spiders (Hololena). It's most likely one of those.

While the Hobo spider (Tegenaria agrestis) is a funnel weaver too, it typically doesn't have the banding on the legs that yours does. I'd have to see the eyes to be sure, but I really don't think that's what it is.

I wouldn't go out of my way to worry about it if I were you.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No i havent seen a web. My only freaking out thing is that I am allergic to spiders, and i couldnt figure out what it is. And i had one crawling on my hand.....CREEPS ME OUT.

I love Big spiders Tarantulas, but I only like them if i know what they are!!!!

We have Black Widows All over out here in Southern California. The pest control sprays every 2weeks for them and once a month for all other bugs.

Just want to know what it is because there were 2!!!

Thanks for your help!

pictured are: