What were they thinking??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

What were they thinking???

I was in a new petstore today to see what they had to offer and as I passed the cages something caught my eye.....It was a Fennec Fox! He was all by himself and looked very thin and scared. Fennec Foxes need very finely tuned care in order to be healthy and happy ( I think the only place they would be happy is their native home but...) That fox is prolly more then likely going to be adopted by some Joe Shmo who doesnt know anything about them and he will more then likely either kill it, or grow bored with it and then where will it go?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Rodentologist

People will abuse any species for money. Unfortunately these 'ultra-exotics' make more money than just abusing a bunny rabbit or a guinea pig.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

In my honest opinion,foxes are supposed to be in the wild.The average pet owner is not equipped to handle the care of a fox or other wild animal and thus many are neglected...pisses me off when I hear about these things.

Potbelly pigs are not exotics,but that reminds me of the time a local chain pet store had a potbelly pig in their store.He was kept in a tiny enclosure (one of those glass cages pet stores put rabbits/guinea pigs in).He was nippy too and in the end,the SPCA ended up with him.I don't go to that store anymore,but I heard later that the store got another pig and that one also ended up at the SPCA.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post

In my honest opinion,foxes are supposed to be in the wild.The average pet owner is not equipped to handle the care of a fox or other wild animal and thus many are neglected...pisses me off when I hear about these things.

Potbelly pigs are not exotics,but that reminds me of the time a local chain pet store had a potbelly pig in their store.He was kept in a tiny enclosure (one of those glass cages pet stores put rabbits/guinea pigs in).He was nippy too and in the end,the SPCA ended up with him.I don't go to that store anymore,but I heard later that the store got another pig and that one also ended up at the SPCA.
I couldn't agree with you more, this new pet store had a number of exotics, such as alligators, poisonous snakes even baby armadillo, and they all looked sick and unhappy, I am seriously considering calling the officials on them.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
People will abuse any species for money. Unfortunately these 'ultra-exotics' make more money than just abusing a bunny rabbit or a guinea pig.
That's all its about to, the money. People will always be out to make a quick buck on animals regardless of the consequences.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

I would definitely call and see what you can do. Maybe they don't even have the correct lisences. Or maybe they could get them on something else. That is horrible.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well I called so I should be on the look out to see if the store is gonna get in trouble or not

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

good for you. what an awful situation.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I called the EPA or some organization like that on a store that was selling an endangered species.

Please do not be afraid to call and report! The humane society usually ALWAYS follows up on reports.

I find it so sad how much exotics are being sold. Many people don't have the means to care for them. Now there is a new show on Animal Planet about people who buy exotics, just to have them turn on them and almost kill them. Most of those people got the exotics through ads or from pet stores. The show kind of glamorizes having an exotic and doesn't really touch on researching and having the proper facilities. Although the point of the show is to show people how some pets can kill them, it doesn't really mention how exotics CAN be taken care of by the right owner.
Either way that show disturbs me.

*Missy*
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
I called the EPA or some organization like that on a store that was selling an endangered species.

Please do not be afraid to call and report! The humane society usually ALWAYS follows up on reports.

I find it so sad how much exotics are being sold. Many people don't have the means to care for them. Now there is a new show on Animal Planet about people who buy exotics, just to have them turn on them and almost kill them. Most of those people got the exotics through ads or from pet stores. The show kind of glamorizes having an exotic and doesn't really touch on researching and having the proper facilities. Although the point of the show is to show people how some pets can kill them, it doesn't really mention how exotics CAN be taken care of by the right owner.
Either way that show disturbs me.
Yes, I have seen that show and I agree it doesn't touch on the subject of the rest of us exotic owners I myself own large snakes and snakes that will eventually be large and when I got them I took on that responsibility that those animals will depend on me till they die but I am also not careless as I know they can and will try to eat me lol. Something my 11 foot reticulated python tries to prove to me every day. But yes 90% of all exotic buys are impulse buys with little to no knowledge of the animals and then the animal is the one to suffer.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Betta Bomb

Wow, somehow it doesnt surprise me that there is an entire SEASON for a show on people who have exotic pets turn on them... :/ Makes you really depressed about the progression of Human-kind.....
As for the pet store, you did the right thing for reporting them. I hope they have any license revoked immediatley and them animals turned over to a proper sanctuary.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Herp Nerd

Correction, an entire season of people who have no idea what they're doing and animals acting perfectly normally.

I've actually been standing in a pet store and overheard a conversation with the cashier and a customer as the employee explained what the exotic animal ate, as they were ringing it up. The customer went "Ewww, I'm not feeding it that." but still bought the animal anyway... and the store still happily sold it to her.

The USDA is the agency which licenses pet stores and animal sales in the US. They're the ones to contact for most issues. If they're selling native wildlife or wildlife restricted by the state, contact your state fish & game department. If they're selling animals restricted by city bylaws, contact local animal control. Humane societies have no real legal authority, and often consider the selling of animals at pet stores to be cruelty in itself. It's usually hard for them to have any kind of objective opinion... plus, they don't deal with exotics much at all, so rarely have anyone on staff trained appropriately.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Betta Bomb

Oops, I know the differnce!! I just worded it wrong
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, I decided to drive by the pet store today and it was closed and they didnt reopen for the rest of the day so I dunno whats going on there.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

some places have alligators and caimen and things that are illegal to own but legal to sell in stores. Figure that law out.

[/CENTER]

Tags
baby, fennec, fox