who have an exotic mammal here? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

View Poll Results: what exotic pet(s) do you have?
ground squirrel 6 21.43%
chipmunk 5 17.86%
kinkajou 2 7.14%
cavy(other type than gunea pig) 1 3.57%
jird 4 14.29%
opossum/possum 3 10.71%
flying squirrel 5 17.86%
agouti 2 7.14%
porcupine 0 0%
paca 0 0%
monkey/lemur 9 32.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Newborn Pup

I have...

-Ten Southern Flying Squirrels (nine breeders, one pet). My personal favorite of all pets. They do need a huge cage, plenty of exersize and time out of the cage. As well as the right diet to prevent calcium deficiency. Definatly not for everyone!

-A pair of Chinese Chipmunks. Great pets if you have a Chipmunk proofed room to play with them in, other wise you can't hold them like a hamster or anything. They need a huge cage, tons of exersize and time out of the cage daily. Eat rodent block, rodent seed mix, insects, hays and veggies.

-A male Dilute Siberian Chipmunk (hoping to get a female soon). Same as Chinese Chipmunks.

-A pair of Short Tailed Opossums. My third favorite pet! They are THE BEST PETS in my opinion! Need a minimum of a 20 gallon tank (I prefer a cage with bars and "vines" for climbing though). They eat high quality cat food, insects and some fruit.

-A trio of Spiny Mice. Great uncommon starter pets. I'd recommend them to just about anyone. Care for them like a hamster but they must have insects (I usually feed mine mealworms).

I'm not sure if your considering these exotics but I also have:

-Two Ferrets - Eddie and Mollie. I just put Eddie in a ferret show in he won ribbons! So they are fun in many aspects! My second favorite pet! Need a huge cage, exersize and time out of the cage. Mine eat Innova EVO for Ferrets mixed with Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul.
-A Hamster - Everyone knows about these guys!
-A Parrotlet - Awesome pets when handfed, a big bird in a small body. Needs cockatiel sized cage and plenty of toys and shreddables. Eats cockatiel seed, pellets, fruits, veggies, etc..
-A Rosy Bourke Parakeet - same but needs out of the cage for time to fly. They are very strong fliers (hence wing clipping is a no, no on this species).
-A Pied Java Rice Finch - Not the best pet because you can't hold them unless you handfeed them which is rarely done. Needs medium sized finch cage, finch pellet, seed, etc.
-A Button Quail- Same as finch but chicken feed is their base diet and they need a cage without bars on the bottom and plenty of room to "scurry around".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Breeder and distributor of small exotic mammals.
Southern Flying Squirrels, Chinese Chipmunks,
Spiny Mice, Short Tailed Opossums,
Siberian Chipmunks and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow! You have a lot of animals!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Who else has a monkey or lemur? there are 4 people? I have a cotton top tamarin named Roxie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Headlock

I have a white tiger cub =]

J/K =] i wish

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Playful Pup

whats a paca ??? never heard off them

KITTEN ==== Elise (10 months)
KITTEN ==== Millie (11 months)

====Fatty (3 year oldish)

====Skinny (RIP 2 year oldish)

==== Fanny (RIP 9 Months)
DOG ====Deno (RIP 11years old)
PUPPY ===Alfie (RIP 9 months)

====Bertey (RIP 3 year old)
GERBIL====Nicola (RIP 2 years old)
FISH====80+(RIP)
RIP to Lots more Miss you all
Pink is for Female......Blue is for male

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I currently have 2 rescued female chipmunks.

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Part of the Pack

My mom had 2 raccoons when she was growing up they were orphaned by their mother after she had died so they took them in and took care of them 2-4 years later after they were no longer accustomed to humans they were able to release them(it took a while since they had to bottle feed them so they got really used to them so weaning them off human contact took a while).

Since I've been around we have rescued 2 morning doves both ended up with broken wings after they healed they were able to be released. We had a litter of a baby rabbits that we bottle fed due to a neighborhood cat killing their mother and released after they had been weaned off human contact.

Currently we have 2 foxes Tod and Vixen whose mother was killed by a car in front of our house. So we took the little guys in and we hope they can be released to after they get weaned off of human contact as they are very used to people. We have had them since last summer here is a picture of them the night that we took them in.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Part of the Pack

I too was about to say.... I dont see Sugar Gliders (need SG on the list) -

R h a p s o d y -
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Newborn Pup

I have a marmoset monkey. a marmoset are one of the smallest monkeys in the world. They come from south America. His name is Tarzn. He eats marmoset can meat that is made for marmosets and other primates. He also eats Fresh fruits and veggies. He also eats monkeys biscuits,monkey O's, yogurt,babyfood,cereal,cheese,pizza crust,noodles. I can go ON&ON but to make it short he can eat almost anything a humin eats. He also gets vitamins daily and he also get a childrens gummie vitamin and everyother dy i give him 1/2 a tab of a tums. It gives him some calcium. Tarzan is one amazing little monkey. I will say theses monkeys sell from $1,500 to $2,500
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeymom View Post
Who else has a monkey or lemur? there are 4 people? I have a cotton top tamarin named Roxie
I have a marmoset Monkey Named tarzan
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmosetlover View Post
I have a marmoset monkey. a marmoset are one of the smallest monkeys in the world. They come from south America. His name is Tarzn. He eats marmoset can meat that is made for marmosets and other primates. He also eats Fresh fruits and veggies. He also eats monkeys biscuits,monkey O's, yogurt,babyfood,cereal,cheese,pizza crust,noodles. I can go ON&ON but to make it short he can eat almost anything a humin eats. He also gets vitamins daily and he also get a childrens gummie vitamin and everyother dy i give him 1/2 a tab of a tums. It gives him some calcium. Tarzan is one amazing little monkey. I will say theses monkeys sell from $1,500 to $2,500
Is cheese good for primates? That seems like a really unnatural food for a monkey to be eating--is there some benefit?

I'm just curious--I don't know much about primate diets.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Adolescent Pup

Cheese can be fed as a treat, they can be fed pretty much whatever people eat in moderation.

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Is cheese good for primates?
Humans are primates...

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Humans are primates...
And it's not generally good for humans so...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
And it's not generally good for humans so...

Bah...it is the perfect food...that is why there are over 500 types of it.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)