100 Bunny Hairball Questions! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

100 Bunny Hairball Questions!

Right now I'm going through my first molt with Phosphy. She's shed slightly before, but never this much. I give her plenty of Timothy hay, and I brush her for about an hour daily (which, being the anti-social bunn she is, I'm sure she just loves).

At the end, I gather enough hair to seriously knit together a fur coat.

However, it's not enough. 5 minutes ago, I was doing some cage cleaning with a lint roller in addition to the normal duties, and she pooed a string of 6 connected (by hair) poos and then another chain of 3....this could easily turn into an emergency.

So I've read Pineapple Juice, or Papaya, or PetroMalt.
What have you used and what's the most effective? I'm hoping to go to the store.....right now

For the Pineapple juice...do you mix it in their water?
Or for the Papaya....how much do you give? I can't imagine giving this to her daily, because of the sugar content...but daily is what she needs!

And for the Petromalt...do I need to starve them from food 2 hours prior, like cats? Does this include HAY?! And, what amount do I use? And do you use the paste or the "treats"?

Thanks so much for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I use papaya tablets
http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showPro...?PRODUCT_NO=52

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks....
Does http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...54194#prodTab1 look like it'll do the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Part of the Pack

I have not tried the pineapple juice yet but I do use petromalt straight from the tube 1 - 2 times a day when the shedding is really bad. I have also tried the papaya tablets from the vitamin section at Wal-Mart. It says papaya enzymes...so I hope that is what I'm supposed to be using. I have seen those papaya treats that you mentioned in your thread elsewhere but I thought they looked to gummy for the rabbits so I didn't pick them up.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

So I dropped down by Petsmart. I found some Papaya chunks...but they honestly looked like sugar cubes, so I was pretty hesitant. I think fresh papaya would've been much better? Anyway, I ended up getting some PetroMalt. I put about an inch on Phosphy's paw, and she licked it up incredibly fast (it's the Malt flavored one). Matter of fact, before I could even screw the lid on, she was lunging at the tube for some more.
We'll see how it works .

Also, of course it's incredibly difficult not to buy your children everything in the store. Aside from buying some hay cubes and hay (there's no local feed store anywhere remotely near here - you all who do have one are lucky!), I bought Winston (who, despite not being fixed yet, is taking amazingly well to litterbox training in there mere 3 days he's had a litterbox) his very first leash.

When I bought it home and put it on him, he didn't even care at all. Just went about his normal activities. Getting it on pretty much sucked though. Anyway, I can't wait to let him see the world! Maybe I'll get one for Phosphy too (I'd feel bad favoring one kid over the other)...but since she's sooo shy I can't imagine it being a fun day for her.

Back on subject...I'll let you know how the PetroMalt works
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

I got my buns dried papaya from the health food store once and they seemed to like that, but I only feed it to them once in awhile. I think the ones at the pet store probably do have a ton of sugar and stuff added, so fresh papaya or pineapple would probably be better. Hopefully you have luck with the petromalt. At least you know you won't have any trouble getting them to take it!

I have a shy bunny too, Barnaby, and the few times I tried taking him out on a harness he just got really stressed out and scared. So I don't take him outside anymore. Zeus has a great time playing outside though.

Definatly let us know how the petromalt works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Jird Jostler

Cant you give it them fresh ?

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Feeding them fresh papaya doesn"t have all the enzymes that the vitamins have(huge concetion you would have to feed a ton of papaya). Petamolt is a laxative where as the papaya enzimes actually"eat" the hair. which ever she will take the easyest! Just wanted to give that info out there

torigrrrl
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The PetroMalt seems to be working wonderfully. Phosphy ate it straight from the tube today..she's in love. Haha. And no signs of diarrhea (thank you God!) nor hair in the poo (thanks again!)!! I'm going to stick to the once a day regime, for now.

I have another question, and I don't want to be known as the lazy one around here, cuz I'm not [in regards to the automatic litterbox question]!! LOL. This is purely from a bunny health perspective.

Has anyone ever tried something like this for their rabbits? Or if you have a cat that has one, has your bunny every sipped from it?

Phosphy's water gets filled with an incredulous amount of hair while I'm away at classes during the day. You'd swear she was long-haired. I clean her bowl 3x a day, too! It's worrisome. And the obvious answer would probably be a water bottle, but she's a diva and doesn't drink from them. Actually, her water bowl reads "DIVA" in the bottom (Winston's says "STUD"). Haha. I looked at a video of it on youtube, and the water isn't splashing down, and the motor is extremely quiet. Doesn't seem to bunny menacing...it would just need some cord protection.

Thanks!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've never tried anything like that, it might work. If it filters out cat hair I guess it would work for rabbit hair too. I don't think I could use it, because everytime I give my rabbits a bowl they drop food, hay, and toys into the bowl, lol.

My rabbits wouldn't use normal water bottles, but I got them one of these and they both like it.
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpag...rod_code=WB370
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpag...rod_code=WB380

I don't know if your buns would use that, but it's the best water bottle I've found so far! My rabbits refuse to use the bottles with the little balls in the drinking part that you get at normal pet stores.

If you try that fountain one let us know how it works!