1st bunny bonding session - not good... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

1st bunny bonding session - not good...

Well I just decided to start the bonding with Ophelia and Penelope a bit ago. It did not go so well. I brought them into the master bathroom. I was worried that it maybe too big and they would not go near each other but I had hoped that the throw rug would help keep them near each other. I had expected that Ophelia would be the agressive one. I was WRONG. The first two minutes went well. I kept repeating "oh it's a scary room to them". Then Penelope took fur out of Ophelia. A couple of chunks. Then Ophelia took fur from Penelope. I was prepared with a water bottle that worked perfectly. That and me yelling "girls - no". It was not a horrible fight. There was no real wounds other than Ophelia's feelings. I don't think she appreciated the squirt bottle. Penelope on the other hand is not that upset.
I felt the room was neutral enough since neither bunny was in there much. But maybe Penelope felt comfortable enough in there.
I was going to begin with the car trick. I was thinking of just bringing them in the car and putting them in a box without driving. I planned to start yesterday but it was a perfect day to garden. We spent the day outside and then I was tired and it was dark. So I was going to start today but hesitated and then got a horrible rain headache so I had to lay down. By the time I woke up it was almost dark... Can anyone tell I was a little nervous to start this?
We are both surprised that Penelope was the agressive bunny. When I had Penelope in the bunny room Ophelia looked like she would eat her if she had a chance. Yet Ophelia was so worried about where she was she didn't do anything.
I had so much hope the first minute. Penelope pushed her head under Ophelia's face but Ophelia didn't respond. I had hoped there would be grooming but was happy it was not an immediate fight.
After the second nipping I took Penelope out first and put her back in her room. Then I dried off Ophelia a bit and put her back. Ophelia was rather upset. I put a tomato chunk, mango piece and carrot slice on the shelf she was on for her. Then I gave her papaya tabs. I also put a little salad on her shelf. I just feel terrible.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I know it's hard but try not to worry so much. That actually doesn't sound like that bad of a first session...I've had much worse, lol. If they aren't drawing blood then it's a good sign. Believe me, if they really completely hated each other they'd do much more damage. I say this from experience...I have a rabbit with severe aggression problems with other rabbits. He automatically attacks other rabbits and will draw blood.

Good luck. I would definitely try the car thing.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, try the car trick!

And try not to be to discouraged - bonding bunnies can take lots of time and patience!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 02:34 PM

I feel for you. My first two bonded great but now I have a foster bun and I am thinking of keeping her. We have had baby gates up between them and I think she wants to bond but the other two could care less. Be patient. I have heard of it taking months for some to bond and then others never do. Good luck and if you find any new techniques let us know.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Thanks so much guys! There was no blood. I was not even concerned that they were really hurt. I could tell it was just hair pulling.
Kibblesmom-my first bonding was Oliver and Ophelia. It was so easy. It took one day. But then again they were brother and sister. I kept them in side by side enclosures that I switched them between every day. Once Ophelia was spayed and healed I placed them together. I am not sure but there may have been a bit of hair pulling but I don't think soo. They just got along.
I will try the car. I will also be sure to try to pet them all with the same hand. But Ophelia thinks bunnies should be seen and not touched. Oliver and Penelope feel the same way - just not as strongly.
It is so much easier to read about bonding and to plan it out than to do it.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny