2 quick questions!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

2 quick questions!!

First, i was wondering if molasses will hurt my bunny Oreo, i want to dip his carrots in molasses or honey, and then in oats, like for a treat. would this be ok?? and second, Oreo is doing something funny. when i put him on a blanket or my bed, he digs and digs. does anyone know why he is doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I think molasses have too much sugar in them to be healthy. I wouldn't recommend it since molasses also have no real nutritional value.
About the digging, it's a natural thing for bunnies to dig. I guess since the blanket and bed are soft, your bunny wants to dig more because it reminds him of dirt or sand. Charlie always digs in her litter box.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would not recommend giving your rabbit molasses. Too sugary and no real nutritional value like Natalie said. My mini-lop, Sake digs on my bed all time. It's natural.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Considering that 90% of rabbit pellets are held together by Molasses, and given a recent study that I've read, I know that molasses isn't harmful, in small quantities. BUT They already get enough if they are eating pellets regularly, so I wouldn't suggest adding more molasses to the diet.

As far as digging, Sasami is correct -- it's a natural habit (they burrow all the time in the wild). While you can't make a rabbit completely stop this habit, you can discourage it. Rabbits are very trainable. It just takes a bit of know-how. First, when your rabbit does something you don't want him to do, get his attention. In the wild, rabbits get the attention of other rabbits by thumping the ground. Ground thumping essential says "Hey, look out" or "Hey, listen up!". So, thump the ground (or the bed) when your bunny starts to dig. That will get his attention.
Secondly, mother rabbits (and in other scenarios as well) will growl or make a low, deep noise in their throats to warn of danger/bad behaviour. So, make a low noise, once you've got your bunny's attention.

Do this whenever he does something you don't like, and he will hopefully get the idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Same as they have said above, too much sugar is not good for them..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetrabbit
Considering that 90% of rabbit pellets are held together by Molasses, and given a recent study that I've read, I know that molasses isn't harmful, in small quantities. BUT They already get enough if they are eating pellets regularly, so I wouldn't suggest adding more molasses to the diet.

As far as digging, Sasami is correct -- it's a natural habit (they burrow all the time in the wild). While you can't make a rabbit completely stop this habit, you can discourage it. Rabbits are very trainable. It just takes a bit of know-how. First, when your rabbit does something you don't want him to do, get his attention. In the wild, rabbits get the attention of other rabbits by thumping the ground. Ground thumping essential says "Hey, look out" or "Hey, listen up!". So, thump the ground (or the bed) when your bunny starts to dig. That will get his attention.
Secondly, mother rabbits (and in other scenarios as well) will growl or make a low, deep noise in their throats to warn of danger/bad behaviour. So, make a low noise, once you've got your bunny's attention.

Do this whenever he does something you don't like, and he will hopefully get the idea.
I tried that when Dutchie decides to dig the top of his hidey house...my goodness is it LOUD!! He always seems to want to do that in the middle of a movie! Drives me batty but thumping and growling doesn't work...he just gives me a dirty look and does it again even LOUDER! Dutchie says. "Take that! That's what you get for neutering me!"

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

For me, thumping only works with Puchiko and Sakura. Sake doesn't care, lol. There is no way to stop her digging...if she wants to do something, she does it, LOL. Gotta love her attitude, though ^_^.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
litter box, rabbit pellets