2nd bonding attempt - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

2nd bonding attempt

We tried again tonight. We put them in the laundry room this time. Neither girl has ever seen that room of the house. I picked it because it could not be more neutral. Plus I thought it would smell funny since the dogs are allowed in there and the laundry smells may be odd as well.
The girls started rather quickly with the hair pulling. They "jumped" each other several times and pulled fur. I was ready with the water bottle. Jay said not to yell but just to squirt them since the squirting was working well and he felt Ophelia was rather stressed. Poor Ophelia is way more stressed about it then Penelope. Penelope handles different situations so much easier then Ophelia. Do you guys think that is because Penelope was at the SPCA for so long? Oliver and Ophelia were only there for one night before we got them.
We let them go a little longer tonight. I felt that they needed to realize that pulling the others fur won't make the session stop. I did decide to call it quits when they sat nicely near (not too close but on the same small throw rug) each other for a minute or so. I figured that was the best way to end the session. Besides I was a bit squirt happy so the girls were pretty damp at that point. Jay took Penelope in a towel and took Ophelia.
We put them back in their own rooms and I gave them some papaya tabs.
I checked on Penelope and she was absolutely fine. Ophelia is taking longer to calm down. Oliver is being such a good brother to her amd grooming her. It is so sweet.
I tried to give Ophelia some baby food bananas but she is not interested. Oliver was more than happy to try them for me. It was cute because he was eating it off a spoon! I had to hold on tight because he would have taken the spoon from me.

I guess I should try this every night. Otherwise it is just prolonging the stress.

I do have an offer from a local bunny expert to bring them in for a bunny bonding session. I hope it doesn't come to that because I don't think they are that close to my house. But then again after the stress of the ride maybe the girls would be more willing to play nicely.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like your making some progress!

I would try having bonding sessions more often. Everyday for at least a little while! That way they should get use to each other faster. If you introduce them, then don't let them meet for a long time, when they get together again they will probably want to establish dominance again everytime they see each other. If you let them be together a lot, they should be able to establish who's dominant then be more peaceful to one another.

Good job ending the session on a pieceful note, like you said, you shouldn't end it with them fighting if you can help it because then they might start to think that fighting will make the other bunny go away.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will be putting them together for at least a little bit every night this week. I was thinking of trying a few times on Saturday. would say the same for Sunday but since that is mothers day I will be happy that I get them together once.
I really just want my trio!
I am looking forward to the day that they are all sitting happily on the top shelf of their "cage". Not much of a "cage" when there are 3 open doors on it at all times!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Aww I know I bet it will be awesome when they are finally all bonded and can be together. Don't worry - I know the bonding process is stressful but it will be well worth it when they can finally all live together peacefully!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It definitely sounds like things are going well . Good luck! I know bonding can be rough.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Rodentologist

That doesn't sound too bad. One of the best pairs our rescue put together started with serious fighting and 3 humans wounded. Now they love each other!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I heard of a tip once, but I have no idea if it works, or if it is a good thing to do. I heard that if you switch the rabbits cages once in a while, they will get used to each other's smell and they will bond better. Has anyone ever tried this?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I switched the cages with Oliver and Ophelia. It worked fantastically. Plus their cages were always side by side. They bonded in a matter of 2 days! The problem is now all the bunnies are no longer in cages. I have Penelope in the back bedroom and Ophelia and Oliver in the middle bedroom.
I guess I could change the bedrooms they are in. I am a bit concerned that they may not use the litter box in the other room but maybe if I only change them for an hour or so.
Do you guys think that would help?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
litter box