An ABSOLUTE angel??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Talking An ABSOLUTE angel???

As most of you regulars know Ive been having many issues with my rabbits behavior recently. We just got back from the vet for the check up before his neuter on Wednesday and everything went wonderfully!

He is in perfect health, had no parasites in the stool sample and weighs 6.5 pounds (10 months old) Hes a little on the fatter side! But the best part is that he was an absolute angel at the vets office.

He let me hold him like a baby the whole time we were waiting in the exam room and then when the vet came in he got a little scared and tucked his head in between my arm and my body to hide his face.

Through out his exam he would keep coming back over to me it was so cute! Then we he got more comfortable he would stand up on his hind legs and put his front paws up on my chest.

This is all coming from a bunny, that when we are home, doesnt let me pick him up for too long and wont come to me without a treat!!

I was pleasantly surprised!! We are all set for the surgery on Wednesday, wish us luck! Oh and my vet has a 100% success rate!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Good luck! You are doing the responsible thing for your bunny and I know Jelly Bean will do great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Aww...it's amazing to find out how much they really do love and trust you when they are scared! If you had any doubts before, they should be gone now!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:38 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

good luck on Wednesday!!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:49 AM
Newborn Pup

Good luck with the neuter.

Louise

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks everyone! Ill keep you posted!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Neuter went great!!! Picked him up and brought him home...hes already eating like a little piggy! Hopefully we will have a better relationship now
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Yay! That's GREAT news!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's great! ^_^ I'm glad to hear everything went well.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Can you believe he was just biting the cage?!?!?! ARE U KIDDING ME!!! So far nothing behavior wise has changed, does it take time?? Also, he is not using his litter box to poop anymore...

I give up
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara03
Can you believe he was just biting the cage?!?!?! ARE U KIDDING ME!!! So far nothing behavior wise has changed, does it take time?? Also, he is not using his litter box to poop anymore...

I give up
Awww, don't get upset. I'm sure he will start calming down soon. Just give him a little time. Some rabbits are more hyper and demanding than others. I'm sure you read the thread where I talked about my problem bunny, Mo. I ended up returning him to the rescue because he just wasn't happy here no matter what I did. They all have their own personalities and while Jellybean may remain a little on the hyper side, the neuter should still help. I'm sure you will see an improvement soon. Keep us updated!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

How long do the behavioral effects of a neuter take to surface? Unfortunatly, Jellybean is acting the same as before. I will definitely keep you posted.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara03
How long do the behavioral effects of a neuter take to surface? Unfortunatly, Jellybean is acting the same as before. I will definitely keep you posted.
I don't really know. I think it depends on the behavior. Sonora was constantly trying to hump my kitties before her spay, and her litter box habits were terrible. The cat humping stopped immediately after her surgery, and I think her litter box habits improved gradually. I really think it depends on the bunny though. Rusty (my 2 year old neutered male) is much calmer than Sonora and he is less messy as well. He always uses his litter box and never pees over the edge.

If you still have issues with Jellybean after he has had a little time, you might want to find information on bunny behavioral problems and litter box training. www.rabbit.org has some articles.

Changing his schedule or putting him on a set schedule (I think I already suggested that ) can help too. Every day I pretty much do the same exact thing with my bunnies so they know what to expect and never want anything more.

I get up in the morning and give them their veggies. Then I give them their pellets, refill their hay, and refill their water, and clean out their litter boxes. They stay in their pens all day and then they each get to come out for about 2 hours in the evening. After that, they get a treat and another veggie snack. Then I turn the light off in the room and shut the door. Ever since I put them on a schedule like that I have had no cage chewing! Sonora chews a little in the morning when she wants her veggies, but its not a big deal. You might want to try a schedule and see if it helps. Good luck!

Oh and another thing you can do to encourage him to use the litter box is to fill it with hay. I know I mentioned that before but I think it really helps. I use Feline Pine litter and then cover the entire surface with hay. They love eating the hay while they go to the bathroom, and they usually pick a corner of the litter box to use. Putting their food dish near the litter box also helps, so they can sit and eat their food while they go. Hope this helps!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I forgot to ask you, does Jellybean chew his cage after you put him back in, like after playtime? If so, here's a trick that will help...

I never put my bunnies back in their pens, I have trained them to go back in by themselves. This is what I do:

I give them a treat every time their playtime is over, and because of this, they actually WANT to go back in. I'll take the treat (for Sonora, its a yogurt drop, for Rusty its a small amount of alfalfa pellets) and wave it in front of them so they can smell it. Once they've smelled it, they will follow me anywhere! I lead them into their pens, and give them the treat. They are so happy to get the treat, they aren't upset about being put back in. Now they know the drill so they actually look forward to going back in!

Another thing I do is give them a veggie snack at night. So after they have had their treat, they get a veggie snack. Its usually a handful of parsley or cilantro. They eat that and calm down from their play time while they eat. Then I turn off the light and say "Good night" and they know its bedtime so they calm down.

I know that probably seems like a lot of work, but I really think it might help you. Its helped me! Rabbits are smart and they know what they can get away with, so you have to outsmart them! They are major creatures of habit so putting them on a schedule is the way to do it IMO. I hope this helps!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 04:14 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Hey don't lose heart yet! It takes about 4 weeks for their hormones to settle down!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
feline pine, hind legs, litter box, litter box training, litter boxes, neutered male