Accident - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Accident

My two female rabbits were running about the garden and my stupid sister thought it would be funny to release my male, I'm not sure how long he was out for but I spotted him mating with one of them, I pulled him off as quick as I could but my rabbit had a lot of spearm around her privates. She is 6 years old and too old to have babies anymore, I am so worried that if she is pregnant then she will not be able to give birth naturally and die. What should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vixen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check the other female too? It's highly possable that he could have mated with both females before you got there. There's not a whole lot you can do, I think some vets will do an emergency spay if you take her in and tell them what happened and they think it's dangerous for her to have babies. Or you could just let nature take it's course and wait awhile to see if she is pregnant. If she turns out to be, I would take her to the vet and talk to them about your worries, and see if maybe if she starts to give birth and has trouble if you can rush her in and maybe there is something they could do to help her out. I don't really know if there is anything else you can do, I've never been in this type of situation.

Good luck!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:09 PM

i agree w/ Dragonrain...not much else you CAN do.

best of luck to ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Do you think that she would concieve (if it came to it) with my help?

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't know alot about rabbits,so I cannot offer advice.But Dragonrain had some good advice.Maybe call up your vet and see what they have to say.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah i stand with calling the vet to just ask them things. best wishes hun!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How old is your sister? If possible, I think you should have both females looked at by the vet and your sister should pay for the vet.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm confused

Do you mean could she deliver the babies with your help? I really don't know if there would be much that you would be able to help with if something happened. She could have the babies with no complications at all - but if a baby gets stuck and she can't deliver it or something I don't think you'd be able to do much for her other then take her in to a vet to see what they can do for her. You wouldn't want to try to help so much in a situation like that because there is a high possibility that you would just make things worse unless you really really know what you're doing.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
laugh often

^^^well said. You can also look at various web pages on breeding rabbits to kinda get an idea of what to expect and how to feed them properly. I wish you the verry best of luck. I do know that if it is hot outside the chances of rabbits actually haveing babies are slimmer.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybreeder View Post

that confused me as well
Isnt that what your worried about in the first place...that she will conceive?

I hope the vet can offer advice on the best thing to do.
Wishing for the best.

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 AM

perhaps there is confusion w/the words 'conceive' and 'deliver' ??

Conceive=become preg.
Deliver=you have the babies...
i think she meant that she wanted advice on if the rabbit could have the babies on her own...as we are already assuming she conceived and the deliver question, as stated above is truely a question for a vet looking at the rabbit
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Rodentologist

I would recommend having her spayed, personally. The delivery and pregnancy will be rough on her, and if she survives, she's still intact and at a huge risk of ovarian cancer, which will require spaying to solve anyway.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Sorry I do mean give birth, not become pregnant, lol.
I just worry about getting her spayed because she is old.
My sister is only six but she did it out of spite anyway.
I am just praying that she isn't pregnant, but I am just wondering what to do if she is. Thanks for the advise I will take her in a few weeks to see if she is pregnant.

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Rodentologist

I can understand your worry about spaying her due to her age, but pregnancy can be just as dangerous, and if she survives this pregnancy and then has ovarian cysts, she'll have to risk both.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww what a horrible situation to be in. I am not quite sure what i would do if it was me. I think your best bet is to sit it out and see if she is pregnant and hope she is ok with it and if not call a vet or just take her to vets get them to check her over and ask about spaying her?
Good Luck hun! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!