Adivce needed! lump on rabbit! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Adivce needed! lump on rabbit!

Hi there
Just today I have noticed that my 7 year old dutch female rabbit has (what I think is) an abscess on the right side of her lower jaw. Its redy purple colour, she is eating normally and seems to be fine in herself, it dosn't seem to hurt her when I touch it. Obviously I will take her to the vet tommorow, as it is closed today.
Is there anything I should do in the meantime?
She lives in a hutch with her daughter, is there anyway the daughter could catch it? Should I seperate them?
Please give me any advice you have
Thanks xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vixen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Hello hello!

If it's an abscess, there's not really much you can do for her. Just get her into the vets as soon as you can.

I don't think you really have to worry about her daughter. If they are bonded I wouldn't seperate them as that would be very stressful on both of them.

Jaw abscesses are commonly caused by overgrown teeth and tooth root infections. So if it is an abscess, make sure your vet checks her teeth as well.

There's not really much you can do other than keep her comfortable and make sure she's still eating and everything, then get her into the vets as soon as you can.

Good luck! I hope she's feeling better soon.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Earlier I was looking at the lump and it popped and all off this thick yellowish white pus came out so its an abscess, I squezed all of the pus out and cleaned it with some warm salt water.
Is this going to caus any harm to her? Because I thought maybe I should do it everyday and this will help it to get better?

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm...personally I would still take her to a vet to make sure all the pus is cleaned out and to get her teeth checked.

Good luck!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Playful Pup

Yeah, she still needs to get to a vet - the abscess may have popped but you need to find out what the cause was and make sure it heals properly because abcsesses can return again and again if not cared for properly.

Hugs to your bunny!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Rodentologist

Ditto to what everyone already chimed in with. Just to add that abscesses can actually have more than one chamber (sort of like a honeycomb) so the fact that pus came out of it doesn't mean that it's all out, and it's extremely important to get him on antibiotics because abscesses are notorious for reoccurring once the exit wound heals over.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
abscess, lump