Advice needed for DIY indoor rabbit hutch - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Advice needed for DIY indoor rabbit hutch

I've agreed to build an indoor rabbit hutch for a friend and I need some advice on the construction as I've never built a home for a living creature before.

I'm looking at constructing something similar to this: [edit: link deleted] although smaller, more simplified, and with a flat roof.

EDIT: I cannot post a link because I don't have a high enough post count yet... search "rabbit hutch sloped roof glazed" on Amazon and you'll see what I'm talking about.

She's getting two dwarf rabbits. I don't know the exact breed at the moment, she says they don't get much bigger than 2 lbs, though the research I've done this evening suggests they can get about twice that. Are there breeds that stay that small?

What kind of wood is recommended?

How should I treat that wood?

She wants it painted to match the color scheme of the rest of the furniture in the room (painted, not stained). I don't think that any of the parts the rabbits will have easy access to will have paint on them, but just in case, what should I keep in mind for the paint?

From my research so far, I've learned the floor needs to be a wire mesh that's tight enough for them to stand on but loose enough to allow their droppings to fall through to a tray below. Finding that for these little guys might be difficult, any suggestions on the floor mesh?

And of course, what else should I keep in mind?

Last edited by DrewR85; 03-11-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Newborn Pup

have you concidered something like a C&C cage? if it is for indoor use i would recomend it... thats what i use... it is much more cost effective and easy to clean... rabbits can easily be litter trained as well...

Tags
build, cage, diy, hutch, rabbit