After bonding advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

After bonding advice

After the bunnies are bonded is it safe to leave them in a cage together right away? Or is it better to just allow them to play together but still cage them separately. I am just wondering because with the camping season starting ... I am worried that they may get into a fight when I am not home. Of course we would have friends come in to look after them twice a day. What would you recommend for a newly bonded pair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

When my bunnies first bonded for a few weeks I would keep them in the same cage during the days when someone was home to watch them, then put them in their seperate cages at night or if no one was home to keep an eye on them. I never had any problems so I guess that wasn't really necessary, but I figured better to be safe.

If I were you I and I wasn't going to be around for awhile, I would keep them in their seperate cages next to each other untill you have more time to watch them in the same cage. You wouldn't want them to get into a fight in the confined space with no one around to break it up.

It's up to you - if you feel they are completly bonded and don't worry about fighting then they may be just fine in the same cage. But if your worried at all I would keep them seperate, if for nothing else then just for your own peace of mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I know we have a ways to go with bonding. I can sense that Lucky has some issues with his cage.

Everything you read says to never separate bonded bunnies...does that mean like giving one away?

Last time when we graduated to the area just outside their cages with bonding, Lucky would panic if he couldn't get into his cage. We blocked it off so Molly couldn't get in. Once they have been in each other's cages back and forth when they are use to each other scent being in their territory, would it be safe to just leave the doors open for them to explore in when bonding outside their cage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - once they are bonded you shouldn't seperate them means that basically you shouldn't get rid of one or keep them apart where they can't see and smell each other because it can cause them to become depressed.

If they're okay with the other one being in their cage, then you should be able to just leave the doors open. But if, like for example Lucky gets mad when Molly goes into his cage or something, then I would hold off for awhile longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks Dragonrain.....It is so helpful to be able to discuss things with others who have been through this before. Too bad our bunnies didn't come with manuals!!

Tags
seperate cages