After neutering - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

After neutering

Now I'm getting nervous about bunny's upcoming neutering
Saturday he visits the vet to see if he is ready to be neutered.
He's 3 months and a couple of weeks. Vet said that if he was ready that the earlier the better - it wouldn't be as hard on him.

So some questions please
I'm thinking ahead - what did you use as a litter box while your bunny was recovering? I don't want him to have to hop up for a bit.
How many days was he miserable?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 PM
is a little "special"

Good luck with your bunnys neuter! Im sure he'll be just fine!
Smudge just used his normal litter box. A 4 inch jump should be managable for your bunner after hes fixed.
After the day he was fixed, Smudge wasnt miserable at all- He wanted to come out and play! When I took him out of his cage to give him his meds, all he wanted to do was hop of my bed and run. (I didnt let him of course!)
As long as you get pain meds and antibiotics, your bun will be back to normal in no time. Neutering is pretty non-invasive, so he will recover quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Jess! That makes me feel better - you know how it is
can't help worrying about everything.

How long did you wait to let him jump and play?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oreo was just neutered & they didn't give me any antibiotics or pain meds to give him. He was acting fine by that evening, I let my kids play with him at about noon the next day, and the next day I put him back with the other bunny.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:23 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge was confined to his cage for a week. Your vet will probably give you a post-op care sheet with all the confinement instructions.
Oh, and make sure to take any shelves and huts out of his cage, or anything he could jump on- You dont want him to over exert himslef!
I took out Smudges toys too, except for his stuffed elephant.
Good luck! Do you know when you are getting it done?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

2babygirls - I'm so glad your bunny did so well

Jess, I'll find out if he is ready to be done tomorrow morning. This will be his first time to a vet - he won't be happy!
But at least he will come right back home because no surgeries are done on Sat.
Thanks !!!!!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, vet says Jude is ready for the snip, snip next Wednesday is his appointment. But I don't know if I'm ready - ha!
He will give him a shot of the Baytril after surgery so all I give him is his Metacam.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I forgot to ask you guys - did your vet use stitches? The vet told me he doesn't use them so that the wound will drain.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oreo did not have stitches. I was told they used surgical glue.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Humm, vet didn't mention that at all
I'll have to ask - thanks

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:12 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge had dissolvabe stitches or glue... I dont remember wich, but it was on the inside so he couldnt pick at it.
Youll be suprised at how fast the surgery goes- Smudge took less than 1/2 hour! So you dont have much time to worry, LOL

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

That's the truth Jess - worry will be my middle name
on Wed.

The receptionist said to drop him off between 8-9am. But
my concern is when they will start preparing him. I don't want him to sit for hours-scared. I'll have to impress on them when I take him to not leave him waiting for a long time

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:00 PM

You can always ask them that, and if they say itll be a few hour before they prepare ask if you can drop him off when they are ready.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Rodentologist

Most rabbits aren't freaked out by being at the vet as they wait for surgery. We typically put ours in a carrier with hay, pellets, and water, and they sit and munch until it's their turn.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 AM

Jennicat said exactly what I was going to say LOL!! I mean word for word!

Dont worry Carlee