After Spay Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation After Spay Help!

Hello again! So, I took everyones advice into account and got Sumu fixed. She just got it done today! Besides the fact that she probably doesn't trust me anymore and doesn't appreciate being violated... she is doing well.

I have a few questions about the after surgery care. First, how do I get her to take the medicine??? There is no way she'll let me stick anything in her mouth... and I am suppose to give it her once a day... any tips?

Second, She has the E-collar on so that she doesn't chew her stitches... not fun for her, but kute How do I get her to eat?? she can't even reach her food or water (she doesn't use a water dispenser just a bowl)

Third, should she be eating a normal amount?

Fourth, should I not pick her up?? Just curious kuz i can't see the stitches to see if they're ok

I guess I can ask the vet... but I thought I'd check with you experienced bunny owners first.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM
can't think of one, help

Do you have someone to help you handle her. The vet should be able to give you tips on how to medicate her. About the food and water. Get very narrow dishes (use anything) and mount them at a level that will clear the e-collar. See if you can pile the hay up and out so she can get it. She probably will use a water dispenser after a time. Feed her some fresh brocolli or something out of your hand

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

None of my buns came home with an ecollar - that has to be adorable!

As for meds - I have wrapped mine up like a bunny burrito - But they let me handle them enough to do this. You probably have baytril for her - if it's the pink kind once she gets the taste for it she will most likely love it. I have had the syringes pulled out of my hand many times. Mine were happy when they saw it coming and came hopping over. I felt badly when they were done.

If she gives you loads of problems call your vet because she does need the meds.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM

the vet gave me monoject to feed him medicine, because that's the only way i can feed snoopy and know how much I'm giving him. for the pass week I've been holding him a little more tight than usual inorder to feed him the med and to clean his wound. I know he doesn't like it, but there is no other choice but to apply a little force to him. Make sure you are in a room when doing so, because Snoopy always escape. I tried to do it in the living room, I spend a long time to catch him back to finish his medicine. Snoopy didn't have e-collar when after the surgery, therefore he has no problem accessing water and food. Yesterday I started to feed him medicine without picking him up, and it seems working. I reached in the cage, first pet him for a little bit, then put one hand on the top of his head and the other hand put the monoject to his mouth and he was taking the medicine and i like this way better, because i only have to pick him up to clean his wound.

I believe Sumu should be eating and drinking by now, if not go back to the Vet immediately. Also make sure she is peeing and pooing. Since you bunny is a she, it may take 1-2 days for her to completely back in normal. I also try to feed with my hand at the beginning just to make sure Snoopy was eating.

MAKE SURE you give her treat after the whole process, she will be happier. Snoopy runs away from me immediately (still in the gated room) and wouldn't let me get close to him. But as soon as I give him his favorite treats, few minutes later, he'd come sniffer my feet again.

I have Snoopy locked up for the past week, because I don't want him to be running around too much and affect his healing process, I still play with him in the cage, pet him and feed him a little treat from my hand, so he would still bond with me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys!

But yet another question...

She won't eat her hay... and she has sticky/stinky poopy globs... I don't know what to do... It's stuck to her butt and I don't know how to get it off... She is a stinky bunny now... tips?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Let me make note that the warm damp cloth idea doesn't work... Would it be bad to just wait until her stitches are out? I mean... the stuff is completely dry... and it's not blocking anything or getting the stitches dirty
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Check with the vet but I would think it maybe best to leave it or maybe pick/trim it out. I have had to trim fur away because of this but if it's too matted then it's not probably able to be trimmed away.
I am surprised a warm damp cloth didn't work. I had to do that many times with Tabby but it did take a lot of time.

Oh and you should call the vet regarding the loose stool. That needs attention.
Maybe if you try and hand her the choice pieces of hay? I know Ophelia loves it when I hand her the leafy hay.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 PM

hmmm... I was thinking that the poopy globs could be the cecotropes and not just runny poo. Maybe she is too tender to reach them?
Call the vet to be sure. When I had Tabby she was unable to get to them herself so I would try and watch for them and them grab them with a tissue and offer them to her. She would gobble them up - so gross and smelly - but so necessary for their gut function.
Your vet may also recommend probiotics - some people say they are good and some say they make no difference.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Part of the Pack

It is a two man job to give medication to my bunny's. Molly came home with a collar as well after her surgery...you are right...sooo cute. We have to capture our rabbits in their carrier and take them to another room to give the medication and they are more cooperative if they can't see their "home". Molly fought with the oral medication, we had to insert syringe just beside her front teeth...there is a gap you can get it into. I suggest wrapping her in a towel like a burrito to work with her. Molly's collar was loose enough that it did not interfere with her eating and her bowl secures to her cage high enough for the collar to go under. As for the poops...Molly's mess was from the cecal poops she could not reach...they were sticky and stinky too.

Tags
spaying bunny