Akina - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Akina

Well, her meds are done and I am still applying the gel ointment to her eye but Akina is losing weight and is not as active as she should be. I did change their food from Martins regular rabbit food to Martins weight loss formula because the weight loss is made with timothy whereas the regular is alfalfa. But the edge of her rib is protruding and maybe Im just being paranoid because she was always a little more plump than Acacia. She eats and drinks and pees and poos just like normal but my vet is out of the country until mid-December and I just called them but they dont even have a date for me. I had Akina to see one of the other doctors in there but he seemed a little rough with her and Im not comfortable letting him treat Akina since I asked him to run a urine test for diabetes and he looked at me and told me she was fine and checked her temperature and told me any odd behavior is caused by the infection..........So, should I just be aware and wiat til the vet comes back?? Or what can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I am allergic to maths

I think you should not feed the weight loss food until you can get an opinion from your vet. She is probably fine and you are just shocked because you are used to the way she was, but if you are worried you should stop any food changes and diets until you can get an opinion from your vet
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I would change back her food but this one has timothy base instead of alfalfa which the regular formula has. But I changed them a while back now (this is my second bag) b/c since the small animal rescue came to be popular they recommend that their adopted out rabbits eat Martins and Pet City has been unable to keep it in stock for long. I waa desperate for food the fisrt time I bought it. I think switching it back and forth would be worse harm?? The regular one is swiped off the shelf faster than it's being stocked but it seems no body decided to check the content in the bags. (I cant say much since I fed them the alfalfa one for so long)

My vet isnt back in the country until mid December. THe receptionist couldnt give me a date specifically....:/

On the bright side- my lil Keena-berry has been active last night and this morning greeting me and Sathya like old times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Rodentologist

I'd be hesitant to keep an adult rabbit on alfalfa based food because it's too high in protein. How manyof the other pellets is she eating?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

i have always fed all of my rabbits alfalfa based pellets, but its because of availability. so far I have never had any issues, and Ryo is going on 7 yrs old.
if you can get timothy kind i would def recommended that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Rodentologist

Unforutnately we have had rabbits come in that were grossly obese due to eating alfalfa pellets (very high protein) and that have had kidney/bladder stones due to the extremely high content of the calcium.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I'd be concerned about the calcium content in the alfalfa based pellets. Like Jennicat says, it can cause kidney and bladder stones. Kidney stones in particular are not always operable, and can eventually lead to renal failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Which is the precise reason I decided to keep my bunnies on the timothy food.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think what kind of pellets you give depends on the kind of life your rabbit has.

Now that Honey is in the house, he is on Timothy Complete. I keep my outdoor rabbit on alfalfa pellets because they burn more calories in the winter keeping warm, and they also have large runs where they get more exercise than my house rabbit. I have a friend that almost lost his rabbit one winter, because he kept her outside and he switched to Timothy pellets which did not provide enough fat calories.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Back to original point of my thread:::::
Akina was half lethargic for a few days worrying me to pieces but now is back to her normal self. Not normal like she was when I fist got her she's lazier now ^.^ but she's eating her treats again and that makes Amanda happy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Timothy pellets shouldn't cause them to be lethargic though.

Weight loss could be because of the change in food, but it can also be a sign of illness. Is she a healthy weight now or does she look too thin?

With weight loss and acting lethargic I'd personally be making a trip to the vet, but I'm glad to hear she seems better now. If she stays that way, then maybe when your regular vet is back you can get her in for a full check up. But keep an eye on her in the meantime and I'd take her in if she starts acting odd again. How old is Akina now anyways??

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Ummm, I thinkn the food was causing the loss in weight since she seems fine now, she only seems thin I think because Im use to her being fat-she was fat ever since I got her off my cousin and I was gradually reducing it. Her eye is pretty much better with the gel I was given. Im definetly bringing her to see the vet once he returns and getting him to do her diabetes test. And Akina's certificate puts her at 4 years old now.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Aw she's still young! I'm glad to hear she's doing better.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks!