Alfalfa - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Alfalfa

Ok so bills have been nagging particularly heavy this month and of coarse it would be the very time I run out of Timothy hay..Being the pure genious that I am I think "ok, off sunday. Go out to wal mart then" and having just the kind of luck that I have they are clean out of timothy.
Wal mart is the only place, btw, that carries good quality timothy hay. Even Petcetera has the crappy dusty kind which I refuse to give my bunners.
So right now I have been limiting them on it but they have alfalfa.Is this too bad?? I am goin back to wal mart Saturday and I'm very much aware that alfalfa is not recommended for adult bunnies but I also figured that I can't leave them without any hay!
Is there any kind of veggie or fruit that I can give them to counter act the amount of calcium and protein in the alfalfa even at least for a few days??
Just wondering.. I mean I completley understand the whole alfalfa / timothy argument and would never want to put them into harms way.. Especially given my current financial state. Any help-thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 PM
is a little "special"

Personally, I dont think it would terribly hurt them if its only temporary, but try not to feed them too much. Last summer, there was apparently some alfalfa mixed in with a bale of hay or 2 that I bought, but I didnt even know about it untill after it was all eaten! Smudge is still fine, so I dont think it will have a huge affect on your buns.
As for the expensive-ness, have you checked local farms? Thats where I get hay for all my babies. Its only $5 or so for a bale (that lasts me about 5 months), so its ALOT cheaper than those tiny bags. It might not be the most amazing quality in the world, but Smudge still loves it. Since its so cheap, I give him tons of extra to make a nest out of too, LOL!
Just make sure you get GRASS hay- alot of other stuff has alfalfa mixed in that they dont always tell you about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Those little bags are expensive. I have found that some local rabbit rescues sell hay in bulk or by the bale. It's not that expensive that way.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

yeahs, actually there is a farm but its so incredibly out of the way and i know no one with a car. unfortunate. the little bags are pure timothy. we had a bale once and it lasted for so long! i wish i could carry it or afford a taxi from all the way out there. also, the farm only sells it to the public in summer. I actually never thought of that tho, thanks ill look further into it.The kind we had was what was keeping Akina so fat! i guess there was alfalfa in it lol.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 AM

Yeah I get stymied by lack of transportation too, and the only one petstore selling the things I need thing. I prefer my local one, but they don't sell either the recycled paper litter (though next time I'm in I'm going to check again and see if I missed it) or meadow hay, only straw. So I have to bus into the petstore in the central city and buy what is luckily quite a large bag of meadow hay for NZ$10 (about $5 US I think?) If they were out... ugh, I'm not sure what I'd do actually. I might pick up a bag of alfafa hay, which are much smaller, or I might go for a phone book and search desperately for another store.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

You can buy hay in bulk online too. That's what I do - shipping can be kind of expensive, but for me it's still cheaper then having to buy those small pet store bags. One of those small bags would probably last me like 3 days if that, lol. Plus it's convient since I don't have a car either, I can just have huge boxes of hay delivered to my front door and depending on how much I get I'll only need to order every couple of months.

I'm not sure if all these companies would ship to all areas, but here are some of the one's I use.
http://www.americanpetdiner.com/
http://www.farmerdave.biz/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.kmshayloft.com/
And I know there are lots of others too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

EEk!! thanks! ill look into them tomorrow. we have a storm coming tonight and my bunnies ARE GOING NUTS right now!! eeep.
as for ordering online, my credit is pretty knocked up there,if you know what i mean so i have to try and opt out for now until my bill magically falls..ill check it out tomoorw though, Thanks!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

They always has some at that place me and steph got it
And u get a whole bale!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 PM

So, I think I must have missed something here. Since when is Alfalfa bad for buns? I feed Timothy hay but I give alfalfa on occasion as well, both my uncle and my mom raised show rabbits when they were younger. They were fed alfalfa. I don't understand the big deal. Could someone explain?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 PM

I believe there's more calcium and protein in alfalfa, which is better when they're young but not good when they're older? I'm pretty sure the transition feed I got from Holly's breeder was alfalfa based pellets, from the colour, but by now I've weaned him onto the pellets from the store near my house.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Alfalfa can make bunnies fat, thats about all i know heh.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Too much calcium and protein for adults who get the standard life..Show rabbits probably need a shinier coat? Not sure but I know alfalfa is no good esp. for chubby Akina!! doesnt matter, got LOTS today!! ..
***Dawna? where do you guys get your hay?? I got no car or way to get it home if your gonna say Lester's farm.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - alfalfa is higher in protein and calcium than grass hays. If it's fed too much it can lead to obesity and the calcium can cause things like bladder sludge or bladder/kidney stones. Greens/veggies that are high in calcium shouldn't be fed to rabbits often either, for the same reason.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
***Dawna? where do you guys get your hay?? I got no car or way to get it home if your gonna say Lester's farm.
haha u are correct
But I did double check, Steph said not to get it anymore as it is just grass...not alfalfa or Timothy
Better go without it

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Cool, so much for that then lol