Allergic to Timothy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Question Allergic to Timothy

Snoopy is my first bunny and I had him since September. Ever since I had him, my allergy started to act up for the past few months. For a while, I thought I was allergic to bunny, but lucky enough after doing an allergy test, I'm just have allergic reaction to timothy and few other things, otherwise I don't know what to do if I'm allergic to bunny, because I love him and definitely won't give him away. So I'm thinking about changing his hay to something else other than Timothy, is that a good idea?? do they have to have timothy hay? Can I just feed him something like orchard grass and/ or Bermuda grass? I'm currently also giving him mix of Timothy and Bermuda grass, but just not sure if I can eliminate the Timothy hay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Hmmm...good question.
I know that adult bunnies should not have alfalfa hay. I don't know if they can have a mix of other hays and no timothy - but won't you be allergic to other hays too?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Rodentologist

Virtually any type of grass hay should be ok. Orchardgrass is typically easier on people who have allergies (and is also fairly easy to find). It seems to be less dusty overall.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I don't know if I would be allergic to Orchard Grass, but I'm sure that I have no problem with Bermuda Grass, because my doctor tested that and have negative reaction, but very high for Timothy Grass.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Betta Bomb

Im allergic to any dried grass too. My suggestion is allergy pills and eventually the allergy dies a little. mine did anyway, its not that your allergic to Timothy hay since its really no different than any other dusty dried grass to the senses. for me if its dusty it irritates me. since the summer it hasnt been as bad though-good luck in your struggle to be allergy free
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Rodentologist

I believe you can actually be allergic to different types of grass. When boyfriend had his allergy pokes, we had the doc test for timothy, orchard, bermuda, and fescue since those are all common around here.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I have just started to give him Bermuda grass with Timothy hay, so for a long time it was just Timothy. I will give more attention to my allergy to see if Bermuda grass affect me as well. Since I have other allergies, my allergy doctor will start me on the allergy treatment soon, hopefully that will help me too, because it is really bothering to sneeze and sniff everyday hehehe... and he said it should help, hope he is right (sometimes doctor can be wrong too )
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Allergies are horrible. I have developed them as I got older. I know the hay bothers me as well - I just thought that it would not make any difference what kind but maybe I should do a science experiment.
Good luck getting your under control.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM

We're going through the same thing here. My husband thinks he's allergic to the bunny but I'm convinced it's just the hay. I'm glad I read this because it hasn't occured to me to try a different type of hay/grass. He's going to the allergist to find out for sure and will be taking allergy shots if it's the bunny - because the bunny isn't going anywhere.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm so glad too, when I saw my allergy report that I'm not allergic to rabbit but to timothy grass. My doctor also test for Bermuda Grass, and I'm not allergic to that, so I'm starting to give that to my bun now, but he seems to like timothy more. I guess I'll just have to suffer my allergy until my allergy treatment begin, hopefully the treatment will minimize my allergy reaction to timothy hay.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:03 AM

ug. i have some issues with timothy hay as well. i make my husband give the hay, and i make the salads. of course, this doesn't always work... so i actually put a bandana around my nose while i dish out timothy hay. i have found that if i don't breathe it, i'm okay. i also wash my hands right after i feed lucy. my alergy is pretty mild, but so far, this had worked for me!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Betta Bomb

it doesnt affect my sinuses as much as it makes my hands itchy as all heck and back again!! i bought this anti-itch spray from Avon but it just stings and then makes my hands icky sticky ...

Tags
allergy, hay