Allergy to bunny poo and pee? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Allergy to bunny poo and pee?

Hey guys,
I got to see Jack today, his new family is very attached to him and hes very attached to his apple tree and home grown timotjy hay haha.
Hews very happy and I hope one day I can make a rabbit that happy.

Well ive been trying to figure out why I was allergic to JackPot or rabbits in general. IM NOT GIVING UP.
Im going to see every option before ever thinking that I cant own a rabbit, that just wont do for me!!!!!!!! YOU HERE ME ALLERGIES? X3

I talked to my doctors and they basically told me I should never have an asthmatic attack again.
It was because JackPot was in my room everywhere so suddenly, i didnt do anything about my breathing at the time (thought it was a cold)
and my body just went into shock from the sudden changes.
He explained that with some people when exposure happens suddenly and hasn't happened for a long time its an overload for the body to handle.

So, I have an inhaler for asthmatic attacks (just encase), Nasonex nose spray for itchy nose, air filter, and a prescription creme for any rashes I might get! oAo
Any other ideas for helping with allergies?

I ended up at Pratts feed store where they sell rabbits.
ALL KINDS!!!!! Minis, lops, lion heads and other kinds of bunnys i can remember.
I had friend with me and all my allergy equipment.
(i looked really stupid carrying all that in a fanny pouch)

I ended carrying a mini rex, just like JackPot across the store for maybe 20 minutes. He was odd and loves the attention haha.
I had a sniffy nose from fur and nothing else...untill he had to poo and pee.
He did his business in the corner and I cleaned it up, about 10 mins later I had a tiny rash up my arm. :C

I know im not allergic to the rabbit feed the rabbits are fed, ive used it for a LONG time now.
Its actually really good crushed up for constipated small critters.

So im allergic to poo and pee? Jack wasnt potty trained and I ended up cleaning lots of his messes often.
I remember when I first got his terrible temp cage. It was stained with urine marks. After scrubbing it I broke out like tomorrow.

Last edited by bokuza; 07-30-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 04:55 PM
is a little "special"

If only there was such thing as a poopless and peeless bunny! Haha
But maybe if you got a fixed litter trained bunner, and had someone else clean the cage, and didnt keep it in your room, it would help? Or use of of those mask thingies if you have to clean the cage? Just an idea
If you do decide to try another bunny, I would suggest fostering one untill you know for sure that you can handle it. That way if it doesnt work out, you dont have to go through rehoming the bunny, and you helped the shelters out by taking it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

yeah, actually im talking to a rescue right now about fostering a very cute bunny. the rescue is a bit aways and the people they get that want the rabbits are down here however, so its a win win?

i was thinking maybe wearing a mask and some gloves would do it?
the rash isnt bothersome, just kinda wierd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
is a little "special"

Awww, I hope you foster him/her! Well need lots of pictures...
Oh, and gloves would probably help alot too!
Maybe you should see if you can rent one of those bio-hazard suits... I bet that would do the trick! LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

I dont think ill be approved for fostering though :C.
Ive bunny proofed half of the entire house...added doggy jump prove fences and bla bla. But it doesnt change the fact I have 4 dogs and ferrets.

Even though the ferrets and dogs would NEVER EVER EVER be near the bun rescue hear "OMG BUNS GETTIN EATIN!".

Im thinking of fostering pets for just people who need it...

XD lol yes...my human bio teacher has one!
Oh that would be funny....
*walks down hall to room with orange bio hazard suit*
Sister: "Uhh...O______O. Er......ugggggghhhhhhh?"
Me: "what? Ive got to clean the poo out."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, they tend to be pretty picky about who fosters. :/
When I applied to foster a bunner, they wouldnt let me because neither of my own rabbits where fixed, and because I had buns living outside. Even though I told them that niether of my rabbits would come near the foster, and that it would be kept inside at all times, the answer was no. :C
Maybe you could barrow Jackpot or another bunny for a week to see if you react?

Hahaha thats hilarious!
Some times I wish I had a bio-hazard suit... I could use it to load the dishwasher. Thats WAY more nasty than cages IMO! I have food phobias.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

If I where you, and you can't foster, I would maybe consider seeing if you know someone with a rabbit that you could be around for awhile. Maybe a friend has one or something?

If you take in a rabbit from someone, what happens if you have another allergy attack or can't find a way to deal with your allergies well and need to get rid of it ASAP? I'd just hate to see a rabbit get shuffled from home to home and you not being able to keep it long enough to be able to search for the perfect forever home for him/her.

I'm not trying to say anything negative about you at all...I'm sure you would be an awesome home for a rabbit and do everything you could for it. But all three of my rabbits where rehomed due to allergies. One of them went through 4 diffrent homes, that I know of, before she came to me. Stuff like that can really be stressful for them.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I would never set it up so the rabbit who had to be pushed off asap and go to whatever home. Im not like other folks. Im ending that before it goes further.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
is a little "special"

Do any of your friends need bun-sitting? If you where closer, you could borrow Smudge while I was on vacation :] Haha

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

oh hee hee! Ty for the offer! XD
well not really, I was thinking of going to the feed stores around here and asking if i could uhm 'barrow' a bunny.
i know some feed stores who let bunnys be rented for petting zoos or for therapy.
im sure if i talked to a few of the stores they'd let me borrow a bun on special circumstances with a contract or deposit.

Last edited by bokuza; 07-31-2009 at 02:37 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Lol, ive been asked by several people now, Yes i can have a rabbit. Yes i have my allergies under control. Ive been going to a great allergist and im all taken care of.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Rodentologist

So why don't you have the rabbit you adopted if you can have a rabbit? It seems kind of weird to dump a rabbit and then run around trying to get another one because you couldn't keep that one?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
So why don't you have the rabbit you adopted if you can have a rabbit? It seems kind of weird to dump a rabbit and then run around trying to get another one because you couldn't keep that one?
That night I HAD to find him a new home, it was an emergency.
I couldn't afford spending three days in the hospital recovering in a bunny free environment. It costs SIX HUNDRED A NIGHT.
And my Father would not have me staying anywhere else.
Thats not even the cost of the care they already gave me. The closest hospital refused our insurance.
I dont know why but they did. Its not like I could just unhook myself from the breathing machines, walk out and say "im not paying for this!".

I was told that night that if I came home to JackPot in my weakened state i might die. Any more triggers and that would have been it. My diagnosis was I COULD NEVER OWN A RABBIT.
Thats was wrong however. I can. After being reviews by a GOOD doctor and allergist I certainly can.
But with the information I had at the time there was no choice for JackPot.

I did come home that night just to find Jack a home.
I sat with my stupid breathing machine with a mask on weeding out possible homes for 2 hours until thankfully a good one came by.

After telling them, "yes, you sound like a great home but I have to be sure please let me take some more calls and think.", they waited for my call, then they went ahead with driving for about 2 hours just to take him home and on top of that they brought over some allergy equipment that I didn't ask for.

God I regret I had let Jack go and when I think about I cry like but he could not have gone to a better family.
I can visit when I feel like it and have and when the family is way for vacation or anything they promised to call me first for babysitting.

So even if does sound fishy or odd, Thats what happened.
I dont feel there any point in saying "what if?" ive done that enough already.
Its made me cry enough but that doesnt mean I dont cry when I think bout my Jack. Even if hes not mine anymore.

Last edited by bokuza; 07-31-2009 at 11:48 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How does your father feel about you getting another rabbit?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

I understand how you feel, I really do. It must have been devistating for you to have to find Jack a new home. But what I don't understand, is why you would want to get another pet knowing that you are that allergic to it. Can you be 100% positive that something similar just won't happen again? Even if there is only a 1% chance that your allergies will get that bad again, why would you want to risk putting yourself through that heartbreak again and putting another animal through that?