alone baby rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question alone baby rabbits

Hi !!!
My adult dwarf rabbit had 3 babies recently and she has since died but her babies are only 2 weeks old and i have to hand rear them.
i have no eperience with handrearing baby rabbits and i would be very gratefull of any information you can give me on handrearing.
Thanks !!!
i will have pictures soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Will It Ever Change?

hi and welcome! i'm sorry to hear about your bunbun. but the babies must be suuper cute! sorry i can't help, but best wishes!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear about the Mom bun - How old was she?

As for the babies, you'll need to make sure they stay warm. If the nest that the mother rabbit made for them is still intact, with her hair in it, you can keep them in that. If that got destroyed or isn't keeping them warm enough, you can makes them a new one in a small box. On the bottom, use a hot water bottle, but filled with warm water not hot (if you don't have a hot water bottle you can use an old bottle or plastic container as long as they don't leak). Put terry cloth towels or pieces of fleece over the water bottle so they can't directly touch it. Make a little indented space for them in the towels for them to lay.

Sadly, bottle feeding them doesn't usually result in the healthiest babies, because there is no milk you can buy that is the same as mother rabbit's milk. Feed them Kitten Milk Replacer (KMR) or goat's milk, or both mixed. Don't feed them puppy milk formulas, or cow's milk.

Mix in some Acidophilus (for humans), or get probiotics for rabbits, and mix a little in with the milk each feeding. This helps them develope healthy gut bacteria.

Feed them 8-12cc/ml each feeding, morning and evening. They may not eat it all. You can tell if they're getting enough food by looking at them, healthy well fed babies will have chubby round tummys and be relativly active. Babies not getting enough to eat will be sluggish and weak, and may have wrinkled looking skin due to being dehydrated.

To feed them, hold them upright in your hand and feed them very slowly - you don't want any of the milk to get into their lungs instead of their tummies.

Remember that after feeding them, you'll need to stimulate them to go to the bathroom. Take a warm, wet, cotton ball, cloth, or Qtip and gently rub it agaist their backsides until they go to the bathroom. Do that before and after each feeding. Usually you don't have to do this anymore once their eyes are open.

Once their eyes are open you can start offering them hay, pellets, and water. They may only nibble on it a little, but it's a good start.

From 3-6 weeks, you can increase the feeding amount to about 15ccs/ml, while still offering them hay and pellets. Rabbits can be weaned around 6 weeks of age, so they should start eating more and more hay/pellets.

After 6 weeks, only feed them once a day. After 7 -8 weeks, you shouldn't have to feed them milk at all anymore.

Good luck with them! Definatly post some pictures when you can!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.