Angora Biunnies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Question Angora Biunnies

I said I wouldn't buy another bunny, but if I do get another I'd like an Angora. Does anyone know the adult size and their personalites? I know that they must be brushed daily ect. but Lola LOVES to be brushed so I already do that. Also, has anyone built their own cage? I've looked at a few plans, seems pretty easy. And my friend just got done building her sugar glider cage, its awsome, 3 stories, well not stories, more like 3 little platforms is half then the other half is filled with these neato branches that Ilro (The glider) can fly off of. Its AWSOME... took her over 5 hrs though lol, I say thats not too bad, its held together for almost a month now, not too shabby I do say lol.Well please tell me bout the angoras if you know anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 08:40 PM

I don't really know anything about Angora bunnies, but Cheetara gave me a bunch of cage building links in this thread:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21475
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

k thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:15 PM

Here is an Angora Rabbit "manual"

http://www.angorarabbit.com/angora-rabbit-manual/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:18 PM

English Angora Rabbit bucks weigh about 5 1/2 pounds and does weigh 6 1/2.

Satin Angora and French Angora bucks and does weigh about 8 pounds.

Giant Angora bucks weigh more than 8 1/2 pounds, while does weigh more than 9 1/2.

Or so I just read.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:24 PM

English angoras are the smallest of the angoras. They weight between 5 and 7 pounds for males and 5 to 7 1/2 pounds for females (show weight limits; pets may weigh a bit more or less). Of course, they look a lot larger because of all that wool (long hair)! Some grow wool a foot and a half long on each side! English angoras tend to be and extremelly gentle breed, but they do require the most care of all the angoras. They must be groomed at least once a day, sometimes more (especially with babies whose coat mats much easier).

French Angoras are 7 12/ to 10 1/2 pounds for males and females (show weight). They are usually also prety gentle, but I prefer the English Angoras for temperament. They seem a lot more friendly and cuddly to me. The wool of the French Angora is likely the easiest to groom of the 5 breeds.

Giant Angoras are 9 1/2 pounds and over for males and 10 pounds and over for females (show weight). There is no maximum weight limit for these guys, so they can get pretty big. 12 to 14 pounds is about the average, though. I have not had as much experience with them, but have heard they are pretty friendly.

German Angoras are extremelly similar to Giant Angoras, but a pure one only comes in white with red eyes whereas Giant Angoras sometimes come in black or other colours. Unlike American Rabbit Breeders Association recognized breeds (like the other angora breeds mentioned in this post), they are not considered pure with just a 3 generation pedigree. The International Association of German Angora Rabbit Breeders has a very strict pedigree and registration system to keep the lines very pure. Their pedigrees and registration is very selective about wool production, so if you ever want to spin wool, a registered German Angora, or one from registered parents, is an excellent choice. I do not know about their personality. http://iagarb.spinnersflock.com/ has info about the breed.

The Satin Angora is probably my favourite of the 5 angora breeds. Their wool has a distinct quality that allows more light to pass through, causing a "sheen" that makes the rabbit almost glow in light. It has a shine like satin fabric, and a good sheen is amazing to look at. Like the other angora breeds, they tend to be pretty mild-mannered, though I have seen a few more wild ones than I have in the other breeds.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:00 PM

I've got an Angora x boy called Ted.

He's quite the character! Very friendly. He live's with two spayed doe's, Boo and Honey.

They do take a LOT of work if you want to keep them long. You need to keep them on a bedding that wont stick to there coat.

I keep my boy clipped short as its eaiser to care for him.

Louise
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:31 AM

Ellepotter, are you sure he is a cross? Most angora crosses actually have short fur because the angora fur gene is usually hidden by other genes. How large is he? He looks more like a jersey wooly to me, especially with the short ears.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:58 AM

Well the rescue I go him from said he was a cross bred Angora. I'm no expert in the Angora breeds by anybodys standards.

He weigh's about 6 1/2-7lbs.

Louise
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 04:27 PM

Well, in that case, I would suspect him to be a slightly small french angora rather than a cross. As I said, most angora crosses have short hair due to the genetics. If he is a cross, he would likely be a cross between one of the angoras (probably french angora) and a jersey wooly (another wooled breed) or a cross between two angora breeds.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Does anyone know a reliable breeder to buy from? (I am in North Texas, so any where in north/east texas or Oklahoma or Arkansas)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 06:00 PM

If you visit bunnyrabbits.org, there is a list of breeders there. I believe that Miyabita also has a breeder directory on her site.

I'm not certain about reputation, but you can generally tell from dealing with people what kind of breeders they are. If they answer your questions and don't force you to buy from them, even refer you to someone else, then generally they're good breeders.

Oh, I just realized that you may find some good breeders by visiting the National Angora Rabbit Clubs site (an ARBA sanctioned club). It's http://narbc.tripod.com/
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 10:47 AM

Also, do not look past youth breeders. They often spend a lot more time working with their rabbits than adult breeders do, so they are more likely to have very calm, friendly bunnies available for sale. A lot of adult breeders really do not handle their rabbits much, which I find is sad.

http://www.tsukiyo.org/ is my website. Go to the rabbit section, and there is a banner link on the homepage to the breeder directory.

I would also highly suggest joining the American Rabbit Breeders Association. It offers a lot for pet owners, too. http://www.tsukiyo.org/Showing/arba.html lists the many benefits (including a yearbook that lists breeders in your area) and has a form you can print out and use to join.

Tags
pet owner, red eyes, sugar glider