ANOTHER GIANT RABBIT!! Photo! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Cool ANOTHER GIANT RABBIT!! Photo!

You all saw the other thread on a giant rabbit I first posted here in February. Here is another!

Bigs bunny: monster rabbit devours English veggie plots

Fri Apr 7, 11:21 AM ET on Yahoo

In a tale reminiscent of the last Wallace and Gromit movie, furious villagers in northeast England have hired armed guards to protect their beloved communal vegetable gardens from a suspected monster rabbit.

Leeks, Japanese onions, parsnips and spring carrots have all been ripped up and devoured by the mystery were-rabbit -- prompting the 12 allotment holders in Felton, north of Newcastle, to hire two marksmen with air rifles and orders to shoot to kill.

"It is a massive thing. It is a monster. The first time I saw it, I said: 'What the **** is that?'" the Northumberland Gazette newspaper quoted local resident Jeff Smith, 63, as saying on its website (www.northumberlandtoday.co.uk).

He claims to have seen the black and brown rabbit -- with one ear bigger than the other -- about two months ago, and at least three fellow allotment holders say they have seen it as well.

"I have seen it and it is bigger than a normal rabbit. It's eating all our crops and we grow the best stuff here," said retired miner George Brown, 76, quoted by the domestic Press Association news agency.

Smith could not be reached for comment Friday, but his mother told AFP that the hare-raising story is true -- and no less an authority than the British Rabbit Council said it was credible.

"Certain breeds do grow very big, like the Continental Giant" which can be 66 centimetres (26 inches) in length or more, a spokesman for the Nottinghamshire-based council, which represent rabbit breeders, told AFP.

In the last hit movie featuring Wallace and his dog Gromit, the two cartoon characters battled a monster rabbit that was cutting a swathe of destruction through locals' prize vegetable plots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

There is a breeder here in Worcester, a local shop is going to start selling them soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Zoo Keeper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeper to ;

1 Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Minx)
1 Jack Russell Cross (Flake)
1 Cat (Freddie)
1 Cold Water Aquarium
1 Tropical Aqarium
1 Rat (Neil)
1 Corn Snake (Norbert)

Come and see them all
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I doubt if this rabbit is as big as he looks. The man is holding the rabbit in front of him, close to the camera so he looks bigger compaired to the man who is farther away from the camera. Also, the man is holding the rabbit up with just one hand, and if this were a monster rabbit, he would need both hands to lift him! Look at how big the man's knuckles look on the scruff of the rabbit compaired to his hand at the side of his body!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Didn't anyone read this?

>> prompting the 12 allotment holders in Felton, north of Newcastle, to hire two marksmen with air rifles and orders to shoot to kill. <<

Someone had ought to contact the newspaper:

www.northumberlandtoday.co.uk

They have a Contact link.

Sadly, I think that rabbit is dead:

>> Curse of wor rabbit
THE curse of the Were-Rabbit has struck Felton.
The village's allotments are being devastated by a creature in a scenario with astonishing similarities to that in the latest Wallace and Gromit film.
A large monster, said to be a cross between a rabbit and a hare and bigger than either, has been dining on holders' prized vegetables by night – just as the Were-Rabbit does in the movie.
The pest with a penchant for plants is black and brown with one ear bigger than the other.
Boasting an exquisite palate, the beast has been ripping out and munching the tops off leeks, Japanese onions, parsnips and spring carrots at the Mouldshaugh Lane site.
The 12 allotment holders have reached the end of their tether and have appointed two armed watchmen – one a licensed gamekeeper – to stand by with a remit to catch or kill their nemesis.
Jeff Smith, an allotment holder since the 1980s, first saw the animal in February.
Since then two or three others have spotted it, and the creature has been witnessed running about on a resident's lawn.
Mr Smith said: "It is a massive thing. It is a monster. The first time I saw it, I said what the **** is that.
"The prints were far bigger than a hare, they were like a deer. It is a brute of a thing.
"We have got two lads here trying to shoot it but they never see it."
Use of a snare has been ruled out due to the risk to humans.
Mr Smith told Felton Parish Council on Monday night: "When we get it killed, when we shoot it, we are going to hang it up on a tree so folk can see it."
There is one alternative: "It will make a good meal."
Mr Smith, of South View and a resident of Felton most of his life, believes the phenomena is not new, claiming such beasts were common place in the 1950s and 60s before pesticides and fertilisers were used.

06 April 2006
<<

http://www.northumberlandtoday.co.uk...icleID=1425349
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I posted this on another forum and we were all up in arms over it..its disgusting..

That picture you show is one of the bunnies who got married btw.

The poor were bunny is obviously someones escaped pet..and being that big could caught with right humane traps and rescued..
These allotments are in a village..and not out on a farm somewhere..so not only will the bunny get shot at..so will anyones cat..dog..small child..!!

What message is this sending out?
And i thought the use fo guns to shoot rabbits had certain legal stipulations..obviously not...im fuming!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebumble
. . . That picture you show is one of the bunnies who got married btw. . .
Huh?

Shooting animals is bad; worse are the bow and arrow jerks - it takes far longer to kill that way.

I think I will soon end up a vegetarian; I am down to chicken and turkey now.

At the Bronx Zoo the Siberian tigers are fed a lot of "rabbit". next time I am there I think I'll complain to the keepers about that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

So did the Geordie were rabbit get shot then, only I dont have a TV and dont want one.

It most likely is an escaped oversized house bunny.

If it was shot I will be most upset indeed touching on angered, using air rifles and parading around in Army camo during the night on an allotment is a joke, all they done was make themselves famous in the wake of the The Curse of the Were Rabbit.

I am a Plotholder and we dont have rabbits where we are, seen the odd pheasent and a rumoured sighting of a Weasel.

Next thing if it still alive they will be building a watchtower.

.n
(!!!)______ = ^ O ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.