Another problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy Another problem

Well, another problem.

Her cage is ok now. She goes potty in the litter pan but then kicks it out anyway but I let her run around while I clean the cage. That takes about 30 minutes and she really enjoys it.

My problem now is that Ruby won't let me hold her. When I let her out of the cage she'll jump right out and loves the play time. But when I have to get her back in the cage, its so hard! When I try to get near her to pick her up, she'll run away. So I just figured that she wanted to stay out longer. I let her run around for almost an hour and she slumped down in a corner and was like half asleep so I figured that she was done. When I went to pick her up she ran away again! I tried luring her in with fresh vegys and fruit but it doesn't work. And when I pick her up she'll kick her back legs and I know that if she kicks too hard then she can hurt herself and I don't want that.

Any help?

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Rabbits don't like being picked up, its scarey for them. Everytime you try to pick her up it's probably making her nervous and upset, and thus she won't trust you as much. Plus your right, if she struggles too much she could hurt herself or scratch you.

If you can, I would find a way to get her back into her cage without picking her up. My suggestions are to either make a ramp going up to her cage and let her get in herself without being picked up, if you can. But since she lives outside that might not be possable.

You can try getting a pet carrier, and when you want to put her away lure her into the carrier with treats. When she goes in, bring the carrier to her cage door and let her go from the carrier into the cage on her own. It may take awhile to get her use to the carrier, put treats in it and leave it out when she's out playing, don't force her into it or make it stressful for her at all because then she won't want to go into the carrier either.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

I've heard both sides about picking up buns - if they don't let you pick them up, then they don't like being handled; and, it is better for the bunny to learn to adjust to being handled for their own good. My buns are all outgoing and love being handled so they were easier to teach. Keep in mind that your bun may have been raised different.

But I'm part of the latter group. When you're trying to handle her, I've found the best way to go about it is to get on the floor, put one hand gently on her back holding her still then slide your other hand under her belly while moving the hand that's on her back to around her rump and then quickly pull her into your chest (her feet to your chest). My buns tend to want to put their head under my neck and snuggle when I pick them up. If you've never really handled her, you will have to start a little slower until her trust builds up. Start with just lifting her into your lap and then letting her go and give her a treat when she behaves (sweets over veggies tend to work better). Then you can work up to picking her up and standing in one spot and then setting her back down to picking her up and walking around with her and then setting her down.

Bunnies really notice who cleans their cage, feeds them and plays with them so as long as you are doing all of that building her trust shouldn't be an issue. Good Luck!!!

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker

Last edited by jewels; 07-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Playful Pup

I haven't had Nino for awhile so I'm not an expert but I also noticed she doesn't enjoy being picked up either. On the other hand my sister's rabbit Jasper doesn't mind and I find it really amazing that he stays calm even though my sister picks him up with her hand under his belly. I think it's mostly because she spends way more time with Jasper than I spend my time with Nino though. Might also be seeing how she's the one who spoils both of them with treats.

Since Nino doesn't like being picked up, what I usually do is I pet her alot when she's sitting still in her cage or by the A/C. She doesn't mind it so much if I pick her up after petting her for a bit. You might want to try this. Handling your rabbit often also helps her get to know you better. Pretty basic stuff
Oh and from my minimal knowledge, I find rabbits to be less cooperative when they're playing.

Last edited by Squirrely; 07-17-2008 at 06:21 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I put a ramp on the cage and when she notices I put fresh vegys in it hops in. It takes her a while but I figure when she's ready to go in, she'll go. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot