Anyone been through this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs down Anyone been through this?

Ok. I just found out that on September 3rd I'm getting back surgery. I have scoliosis and they have to straighten my back. Nothing major I should be up and running again a few weeks after it. One of the first things that came to mind was "What about Ruby?" and "How will Ruby take this?" I probably wont even be allowed to touch her or be around her for at least 2-3 weeks. I'm really worried because I don't want her to forget me or freak out because I'm not there. My mom agreed to take care of her for me but will it be the same? Will Ruby grow more attached to my mom instead of me? Sorry if this is weird or stupid but I just don't want my bunny to forget me or something..

Thanks for those of you who read this whole big paragraph!

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Aww I know it's going to be hard for you to have to be away from her for awhile, but you have to do what you have to do especially since it's for your health.

I went on vacation for two weeks last month and left my bunnies with Chris. Their feelings for me didn't change at all and they treated me the same as they always do when I got home again. I don't think Ruby will forget about you at all. She may form a new bond with your mom, but rabbits can be friends with more than one human! Her liking your mom shouldn't effect how she feels for you.

If your worried about her missing you, you could have your mom give Ruby things like tshirts that you've worn, so that she can smell your sent. Or you could get paper towels or something and rub them on yourself, so they smell like you, then give her those. Cuz I know when I give my bunnies clothes they just tear them up, lol.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks. I'll have to go through my closet and let her rip them up.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Part of the Pack

We do a fair bit of camping in the summer and I find it getting harder and harder to stay away from the bunnies. When we get home Lucky will give us the cold shoulder for the first evening. He goes into the corner and turns his back to us....how dare you leave us!! This summer we have had a neighbor come in to take care of them instead of hauling everything to my parents house (they were okay looking after one but not two...especially with the shedding.) It is so much easier and I think the bunnies like staying put too.

Ruby won't forget you or like your mom better because you can't be there to take care of them. It will be a good chance for mom to bond with Ruby like you have. Good luck with the upcoming surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery so you can get back with Ruby.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Will Ruby be leaving your house?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Nope. I'm under 18 so I still live with my parents.

She lives on the upstairs screened in porch so her surroundings won't be changed. And my mom knows exactly what I do everyday so nothing but me being there will change.

-George Eliot