Anyone Elses Bun Do This? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Anyone Elses Bun Do This?

So every year, around this time Smudge molts his little fuzzy head off and were all up to our eyeballs in bunny fuzz. Also when he molts, he has a habbit of digging ALL the food out o his gavity feeder every single day... ALL Of IT!!! Does anyone else bun do this? Not only is this a huge waste of food, but if I accidentally skip a day on checking on him he starves for the day. The wierd thing is he only does this outside. When hes inside he could care less about his food. Is this some kind of burrowing instinct? Is he trying to save up food for the winter like he would in the wild? Just wondering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

hmm.. if he only does it outside, than maybe a bug gets in there and he tries to dig it out? i dunno.. we used to have a dog that would do that with her outside water dish. if anything got in it should would 'dig' out all the water. dunno if that helps any..

on a side note.. i read somewhere that you shouldn't use gravity feeders for rabbits, cuz thet tend to eat too many pellets, and not enough hay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:08 PM
can't think of one, help

My bunny digs his food too, His cagemate was worse about it, finally I attached the top of a metal tin (the kind that come with cookie tins etc. NOT aluminum foil) under the feeder. Once I made the mistake of getting a different brand of food, and Littlebunny girl just threw it out all over I never did that again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried just giving him a bowl of pellets a day instead of the gravity feeder? I heard it was bad to give them unlimited pellets as well - they should be eating mostly hay and not as much pellets. I don't feed Zeus pellets at all and he's very healthy. And then you wouldn't have to worry about him wasting all those pellets when he digs in the feeder.

The house rabbit society says that mature, healty rabbits should be fed unlimited timothy, grass, or oat hay (or a mixture), 1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs of body weight, at least 2 cups of chopped veggies per 6 lbs of body weight (or more if you don't feed pellets), and a small amount (2 TBL or 2 oz per 6 lbs) of fruit.

As for the digging, it could just be fun for him, who knows. Zeus has an obsession with trying to dig blankets and clothing, lol.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Smudge has never over eaten, and is the perfect Dutch bun weight (about 5lbs) so Ive never had an issue. Ive figured he eats about 1/3 - 1/2 a cup of food a day. As for hay, he doesnt like eating it. He has a bunch of it in his cage, but he'll only nest in it and he wont eat it. He will only eat it if he has nothing else to eat. As for veggies, he has a very sensitive tummy and gets sick every time he eats any veggie at all. I could feed him some tho, maybe he'll just get used to it? I think Ill put a box of dirt in his cage for him to dig in, lol. He also has an obsession with digging and "fluffing" stuff up. Thanks for the tips!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Smudge sounds like a silly bunny. Oliver and Ophelia are beginning to get over their one year molt. They didn't do anything silly like knock their food out of the bowls though. I just use bowls because Penelope is very picky about her pellets being fresh. If her pellets get a day old I have to toss them. Luckily Oliver is not so picky. I am not sure about poor Ophelia - with her piggie brother it's hard to tell.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you have time, this site is really helpful in explaining why it's important that you don't let your rabbit just eat pellets and no hay. Hay is very very important to rabbit's intestinal health and one reason why they often refuse hay is because they have unlimited pellets. Also, they're are many diffrent types of hay and some rabbits will refuse one type but love another.

Proper Rabbit Maintenance Diet

Veggies should be introduced to the diet gradually, one veggie at a time, in very small amounts, until the rabbit is use to it.

I bet he'd have a lot of fun in dirt! I wish I could give Zeus some to dig in, but he's indoors and would probably make a huuuuge mess!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks sooo much for that link! Ill start his new diet tomarrow!!!
Does Zues have a pen you can put outdoors? Smudge used to, and he would dig huge burrows that he could fit into! I cant use it anymore tho cuz he found out how to escape.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I should get Zeus an outdoor pen - I bet he'd have fun playing in the dirt. I do take him outside once in awhile, but only on his harness so he usually doesn't get to stay out long - just until I get sick of running around with him!

My old bunny Nibbles had an outdoor pen and he use to love to dig! I wish I didn't get rid of his pen but I didn't think I was going to get another bunny at the time.

If you give Smudge some dirt to play in take some pictures! I bet it will be cute

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

You really want more pics of Smudge? I thought youd all be sick of him by now LOL! Well, I decided to start his diet tonight and when I went out to get him I said "Smoogie your going on a diet!" Hes like "What?! I look fine! Oreos the chubby one!" Im not giving him anything to eat tonight exept timothy hay. I have a feeling he'll be cranky in the morning...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

hoppity wont eat any hay at all if he has pellets, so i give him a scoop of pellets in the morning that he eats right away, and a big pile of hay that he will nibble on threw the day after his pellets are gone.. i read somewhere they should eat a pile of hay as big as they are each day

My Furry Family

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbit society, oat hay, rabbit society, timothy hay