apartment bunnies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

apartment bunnies?

In October/November I will be moving into an apartment, and I want to take my buns with me. I'll take my dog, and my cat. I've been browsing apartment listings online now, and pet policies generally only mention cats and dogs. Right now they are cage buns, but I would like them to be house buns when we move. I have to get Barbie fixed first, though. anyways, does anyone have experience with renting an apartment and living with rabbits? I'm sure each manager would treat it differently, but in general, if dogs and cats are okay, would rabbits be, too? Barbie is 3 pounds, Horatio is 8 or 9.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I cannot imagine that it would be a problem. I would not bother to tell anyone they will be "free range" bunnies. I am sure you will have a cage somewhere in the apartment for them - just in case. I would let them think that is where they stay. Bunnies are generally quiet. Sure they thump but you can always pretend you dropped something.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:47 AM

I did the same thingwhen I used to live in an apartment. I said my rabbit would be caged. No one ever knew he was a house bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Me too - when I'm with Chris in NJ we stay in an apartment with his Mom. We told the landlord that Zeus has a cage and he said thats fine. Zeus does have a cage - but he's usually only in it at night and when no one is home to keep an eye on him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara03
I did the same thingwhen I used to live in an apartment. I said my rabbit would be caged. No one ever knew he was a house bunny
Same thing here

Don't worry about the thumping, my bunnies were always thumping and it was not a problem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't worry about the thumping, my bunnies were always thumping and it was not a problem
Yeah...it's the chewing up the baseboards and knocking over stuff that you have to worry about!

Both reasons why Zeus can only stay out of his cage while I'm around!

Serously though, unless your landlord actually comes inside your apartment then probably no one will even know you have rabbits. If they don't mind dogs and cats running around, I can't see how they would mind cute cuddly little bunnies! If they say to keep them in the cage, just make sure they're in the cage when the landlord comes in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 06-01-2007 at 10:37 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM

My landlord doesn't know I have buns (tut tut) and they have done damage. They have chewed the door, certain patches of carpet, skirting boards etc. This is what you need to be aware of. I will no doubt either lose a big deposit or have to get the house back to the same rabbit-free condition it was in when we moved in!!

I wouldnt be without them though, they're worth any deposit. The other thing you need to take into account is the fact you will be bringing a rabbit in from the outside. I know in the UK we would have to do so gradually ie. the winters are so cold we have central heating. If you were to bring a rabbit in from the outside to a centrally heated house it would need to be done so gradually (not sure what the climate is like where you are but it's something to think about!)

Other than that, go for it. Its lovely having house buns and I'm sure they'll have fun.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM

I agree with everyone above ^
Bunnies are great!!
I LOVE mine =D
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

my rabbits are already indoors. I don't like them being outside because of their fur, and i have a tendency to sort of forget about pets that are kept outside, so for their sake, i refuse to let them be outside buns. so we won't have to make that adjustment. Thanks for the input so far, i think its gonna be okay. right now my main concern is changing their diet, i'm trying to get rid of pellets and go all natural, but its gonna be harder once I no longer have a yard to grow grasses and such.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora