Aspen litter vs the other types of bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Aspen litter vs the other types of bedding

Filler for the littler box is getting expensive. I've figured out I like Freshworld Bedding better than Yesterdays News or Carefresh and I think its a bit cheaper. What is Aspen shavings like? Does it get all over the cage or stay put in the box? I'm looking to try to save some money but not if it makes more work.

And what about cat litter? I read to not use cat litter but the checker in Petsmart today told me she uses that for her bunny.

And has anybody found a good (cheap) online site with cheap or no shipping chgs? Here in CA sales tax is almost 10% so buying online saves me some money as long as the shipping isn't too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 PM
is a little "special"

Personally, I hate using aspen for Smudges litterbox. If we are out of the usual stuff I will, but its really messy, and stinks really fast.
I use kiln-dried pine pellets. They work really well- arent messy, dont smell, and are cheap. I buy a 50lb bag at Fleet farm for $5!
And do NOT use clumping/clay cat litter... Eating any could kill your buns. Feline Pine cat litter is acually OK though- its just kiln dried pine pellets, like the stuff I get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I thought pine was a big no for bunnies (for the same reason as cedar)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:25 PM
is a little "special"

Kiln-dried pine is just fine- the process of being kiln-dried gets rid of the dangerous phenols.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ahh.
Are you buying the pellets online? Do you have a link to the product?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 PM
is a little "special"

No, I get them at Fleet Farm. You can get them at pretty much any farm supply store in the horse section. They are sold as stove burning pellets too.
You can also buy smaller bags at petstores, but they are kinda over priced!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh thanks. I'll look for it in a feed store. Thanks for the info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Betta Bomb

Yesterdays News is my preference becasue it absorbs nicely and the top layer stays dry so when bunny sits there to munch on hay they dont risk getting sore hocks. Aspen I can see keeping the wet on top as they dont actually absorb? I havent used it but my sister uses it for her rats. Im sure it all depends, but YN is half cheap and so easy to get here. I dont have a car so I can only buy what I can carry home and SObeys is just 15 minutes walk away(shulders cramp up after carrying it though!!)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree that aspen isn't very absorbent, that is why I put it on top of my paper litter, to keep my rabbit from getting wet after the paper gets soggy.