Automatic Litterboxes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Automatic Litterboxes

Hi everyone!
I'm new here but been reading info here for a couple of months.

I was wondering if such a thing exists as automatic litterboxes for bunnies?

I know many rely on clumping litter, which could be horrible if ingested for a rabbit. But then...has anyone ever seen the CatGenie? If not, google it.

I was wondering if anyone ever gave it a try for their bunn...or any other product.

Thanks!

Justin, Phospy, and Winston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

Anyone who uses clumping litter for a rabbit should go to jail for animal abuse. The rabbit WILL eat it. That's just what rabbits do.

There are specific brands of litter that are good for bunnies, and none of them are made for convenience, as far as I know.

--Fromper
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Part of the Pack

I have never seen the cat genie before...it's pretty cool. I know if we had one, my bunnies would not only eat the litter but chew up the unit...especially that scooper.

For a while I was using a hand scooper/sifter to pick up the wet spots and turds and then just added a bit more litter...that was too much of a pain...so I just kept rotating the box every morning and evening until the four corners were used and then dumped it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I looked up Cat Genie, and I wouldn't use it for rabbits. I don't know what the litter is made of, but I'm sure my rabbits would eat at least some of it which I don't think would be very healthy for them. As well as chew up the actual box, like LuckyBunny said. Which isn't a big deal when you use a $5 box but I wouldn't want to keep replacing $100 litter boxes. Also, most people put hay in their rabbits litter boxes which I don't see how you could do with the cat genie?

I really don't understand why people always try to find easier ways to clean rabbit litter boxes. Yes, it is more work then cleaning say a cat box because you can't use scoopable clay litter for rabbits. But really I never found it to be that bad, and I clean my litterbox every day. I just dump all the old litter and hay into a trash bag, whipe clean and dry the box, refill it with litter and hay, then put it back into the cage. It's really not a big deal and doesn't take that much time. I found that the key with rabbits is to keep on top if keeping everything clean. When you don't clean the box often enough is when you'll start to have problems with it getting gross. But if you clean it everyday or every other day, it doesn't have enough time to get bad and isn't a big deal to keep clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Fromper - If you read my above post closely, you would realize that I realize clumping litter is bad for rabbits. My post clearly insinuates that the CatGenie uses an alternative.

LuckyBunny - thanks so much for your candid response! I didn't think about chewing. One of my bunns doesn't chew on anything but food and the occasional t-shirt, and my other bunny just likes her chew toys and ocassionaly baseboarding. I've never seen her chew plastic, but that's a valid point - you never know what they'd be into chewing.

Dragonrain - I too put hay in my bunns' litterboxes. Everyone should know that they like to munch while they defecate. My idea to counter that would be to put the CatGenie between my toilet and the vanity cupboards, and then drill a hay dispenser within reach beneach my toilet dispenser.
Lastly, it seems as though you're chiding me for my wanting an easier solution. But it seems odd that you would be so judgemental without even knowing my situation or my reasoning for wanting an easier solution.
Besides, less time spent cleaning is more time spent interacting with my bunns - and there's absolutely no harm in that.

I guess my real question was if anyone knew what that litter was made out of?! My rabbits have never eaten any of their litter (unless late at night, but as I mentioned, I'm a college student....they'd have to be chowing down on their Soft Sorbent between the hours of 3am-8/9am), but it'd be very nice to know ahead of time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Lastly, it seems as though you're chiding me for my wanting an easier solution. But it seems odd that you would be so judgemental without even knowing my situation or my reasoning for wanting an easier solution.
Besides, less time spent cleaning is more time spent interacting with my bunns - and there's absolutely no harm in that.
Didn't mean to sound judgemental, sorry - I'm just saying that I don't think that changing a litter box is a hassel or takes up too much time and I personally wouldn't try possably unsafe litters to make things easier for me. The time I spend cleaning up after my pets definatly doesn't take any time away from interacting with them.

Most cat litters that are not paper based are not safe for rabbits, and I would assume, since that litter can be washed and reused, that it's probably not easily digestable. But if your still interested, look into it more and try to find out what exactly it's made of, then talk to your vet about whether or not it would be dangerous to your rabbits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Didn't mean to sound judgemental, sorry
Thanks! I just felt like I was being attacked here....everyone else seems to be pretty close!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Jird Jostler

Get some more posts on here and you'll feel part of the Paw Talk family too =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've heard that using compressed wheat/grain pellets for litter is a good alternative 'clumping' sort of litter for small animals like bunnies and guinea pigs. I've never tried it. Apparently it breaks down really quickly and safe for ingestion.

I stick to paper litter in a scatter-proof pan for my buns. I have those little triangle shaped pans with high sides so they can't miss the edge, and wire over the litter to prevent accidental scattering when they kick. I know wire isn't the best for bunny feet, but they don't tend to hang out on it that much, since there's a much more comfortable pet bed and cardboard box in their cage. I only use Carefresh. I'm afraid to try different ones!

I don't really clean the cage every day anymore since I got the new litter pans. It stays really clean since they can't kick their poop all over the place anymore. I just take out the litter boxes and empty it all into a garbage bag, rinse them with the hose, refill, and stick them back in the cage. The bottom of the cage gets a full wash down every week, but again, not that dirty. It's mostly just dumping out the scattered hay they didn't eat onto my lawn and then wiping it with paper towel and some cage cleaner. Takes all of 10 minutes now. It used to take me up to 45 minutes to finish cleaning their cage, but I've got it pretty much down to routine now. It takes a bit of trial and error to find what works, but once you figure it out it's really not that hard. Don't worry, I moaned and groaned for weeks trying to find easier solutions, too (and you can find those threads on this forum!). I tried to find better odor absorbing litter, I hated Soft Sorbent because it got all over the carpet and was a headache to clean because the vaccuum kept getting clogged with it, etc etc. The key for me was getting 2 litterboxes that were the right size (I had a couple of random plastic boxes that were way too big for the cage before and the current ones are just corner-sized), and the wire covers for the litter boxes. One of the old litter boxes used to be the bottom plastic bit of my cousin's dwarf hamster cage. It didn't even fit through the door! I had to slide it in underneath by pulling the tray out. It was a huge mess. And the bunnies kicked and chewed at it until it was cracked down the side and I just had to throw it out.

R.I.P.

Last edited by MattMouse; 06-07-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Tags
automatic litterbox, catgenie, litterbox