Average lifespan of a Mini Rex? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Average lifespan of a Mini Rex?

I have a Mini Rex AND a Holland Lop mix. And I was wondering what the average lifespan of both breeds are.

The Holland Lop is fixed she got fixed when she was 2 years old. But the Rex isnít yet; she is about 4 years old. I do plan on having her fixed; I just donít have to money right now.

Also what is the OLDEST you have ever heard/seen a rabbit being?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

With females, it depends on if they're spayed. The longer they go without being spayed, the shorter the average lifespan due to the cancers they're so prone to. With males, it's not a drastic difference.

9-12 years is, according to HRS, the average lifespan of a fixed healthy house rabbit . I've heard of rabbits that lived to be over 15 but it's rare. Mine is over 10.

Edit: It also depends on diet. Diets heavy in pellets and low in hay lead to obesity and digestive problems that can result in an earlier death .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
With females, it depends on if they're spayed. The longer they go without being spayed, the shorter the average lifespan due to the cancers they're so prone to. With males, it's not a drastic difference.

9-12 years is, according to HRS, the average lifespan of a fixed healthy house rabbit . I've heard of rabbits that lived to be over 15 but it's rare. Mine is over 10.

Edit: It also depends on diet. Diets heavy in pellets and low in hay lead to obesity and digestive problems that can result in an earlier death .
My rabbits are on a very healthy diet. They get unlimited Timothy hay, 2 cups of veggies a day. And my Rex get's 1/4 of Oxbow pellets a day and my Holland lop gets 1/2 cup a day. She's 6lbs and was getting a little on the skinny side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think luck and genetics can play a part in lifespan as well.

My first rabbit ever lived to be just over 15, despite the fact that he was not neutered and lived outside for about half his life. I was very young when my parents got him, so didn't know any better back then.

More recently I had one of my house rabbits die when he was only 2 and another one recently passed at the age of 5. These where rabbits who lived indoors, received regular vet care, a very good diet, etc. Long story short, both of them had medical conditions that caused them to pass young.

Smaller breed rabbits usually live longer than giant breeds. Getting them fixed, especially for females, usually greatly increases lifespan as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I think luck and genetics can play a part in lifespan as well.
Yup, very true, especially in regards to genetics (and what doesn't help is we have so many "rabbit mills" and BYBs). I've had some pretty long-lived rabbits but I also lost one at 5. He was neutered, indoor only, etc. but got cancer. Fiona was pretty young, too...not quite 6 years. No idea what happened with her .

That's why we have lifespan "averages" but I'm not actually sure where HRS got their numbers from. I think it'd be closer to 7-11 years in reality.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I talk to a lot of rabbit owners as well as volunteer at a rabbit rescue and over the years have heard and experienced a lot of stories that lead me to believe that the HRS average seems to be a bit on the high side.

Of course we'd all like our rabbits to live as long as possible, and you should always plan to care for them for the high end estimate or beyond when you take them in. But when it comes to actual lifespan, you can never really be sure what's going to happen. Just love them while you have them, give them the best care, and hope they are with you for many years to come.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Betta Bomb

Have your rex spayed as soon as possible. Not to scare you, but my mini rex was predisposed to bad genetics but alongside that she was never spayed and when I let her go we discovered a tumor in her belly from her reproductive organs. Save now. If I could have my time back I would have done things differently. Because of that experience, I simply preach to those on the fence of spaying a raabit.

Tags
average, holland lop, lifespan, mini rex