Back from hiatus! Updates abound! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Back from hiatus! Updates abound!

Hi everyone!

I haven't been around on here very much as of late -- I've been so busy adjusting to a new schedule between work and classes.

Linus is officially 7 months old tomorrow! He's been doing well. Still hates being picked up, but he's much friendlier now. When I approach his cage, he stands up to see me, and ask for a treat, which I usually give him -- of course, most of the time, it's just a pellet of his usual food. I don't want to spoil him too much.

He loves raisins and romaine lettuce.

I'm going to try some parsley with him soon.

I really have to clip his nails, but I've been putting it off because I know he's going to hate it.

He's officially getting too big to just stay in his cage while I'm not home. I was going to build him a bunny condo, but it seems like the cheaper alternative is going to be a large playpen. I found a good one on Amazon.

It has 8 panels, and a little pet door built in to one of the panels. I can make it as big or as small as I want, and it'll be easy for me to get in there to clean. Plus, he'll be able to binky and run his bunny 500s as much as he wants.

I'll include pictures once it's been bought and set up! Does anyone else just have their rabbit in a pen rather than a cage set up? And what kind of issues should I be prepared to deal with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

aw glad linus is doing well! I always put off clipping nails, as it is quite the task with benji, but it's getting better the more i try! Benji is also housed in a playpen and it's so perfect! I think thats a great cheaper way to go! But when benji gets in funky wont sleep moods, she will grab the wire and bang it, and it is really loud, and probably not very good on her mouth / nose, since it comes flying backwards after she pulls it. I am not sure if your bun sleeps in your room, but this can be rather annoying, and ends up moving the whole pen around if she pulls too much!

but other than that benji seems to love the space, I also have a little hutch in there she can go to hide and a towel beside the hutch, she is always flopping on the towel! And gets very angry when it is touched or moved etc :p The space is great for the bunny 500's!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Betta Bomb

Welcome back!

Glad to hear Linus is doing great and growing to be such a big boy . I reccomend the panel/playpen idea for any house rabbit bc most conventional cages are too short to allow bunny to stretch up tall and run around. My Acacia has been in various models of my DIY since she was about 1 year old (jeesh! time flies! She's 5 now)

I shall post some of my, crude, examples. I am not very handy dandy when it comes to these things. I am not a perfectionist and I am usually content with the finished product given it works!

Problems I ran into is the second layer of NIC, in my case, which is quite difficult to line up properly unless you have someone hold it for you. You'll need LOTS of cable ties!! I don't trust the connector bits the panels come with anymore, too clunky. I love NIC for the endless possibilities. You can create great cages for any room in the house.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27/b...rib-59380.html

I cannot find the other ones for the life of me! I used to keep 2 open top bunny NIC pens in my old house. I'm sure those pics are in the vault here

Last edited by Purple-Hops; 10-03-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: linkies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Poooooppp!

Welcome Back! I keep my two buns in a bunny condo and I love it, it's pretty big and has two floors, I would say just take care of your floor, they make a huge mess, but you probably already know this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.