Back from the rabbit rescue with a mini-rex. - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:01 PM

Aww! That sounds sooo cute! They'll definitely make an awesome couple! I guess Sonora was treating him like a little scared baby bunny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awe that's so cool that they will get along Steph!!! And I'm sure over time his confidence will grow!!! When they first play together you have to share!
And Kim oh get a bunny!!!! We'll help you with whatever you need help with!! They are great pets!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:24 AM

Steph, it sure sounds like things are going to be great between Rusty and Sonora.....
Carmen & Steph I appreciate the help because I know I will need it
Okay I am posting a new thread with all the questions just for you both to help answer, and I'm sure Mandie will help out as well as other Bunny people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

We had a bonding setback this morning. I guess I can't use the same area twice because when I put them on the kitchen chair this morning they weren't scared enough and they started fighting! Its mainly Rusty because he thinks Sonora's going to hurt him so he thumps his foot and starts freaking out. Then she gets all carried away and they start boxing with their front paws. I have to look at it as rehabilitation for Rusty because he's been beaten up by bunnies before. I really hope that he is able to experience a close bond with Sonora. I'm just paranoid because of what happened with Mo.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Rusty's beautiful, Steph ! Hope everything works out with the two of them !

Sharon
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 05:39 PM

Ya know, if I had been picked on my whole life too, I would get scared and angry at people too! Even if they were nice. Just give him some time, good luck! I hope everything works out for you!
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Ugh, another frustrating bonding experience. What I am doing wrong??? This time I put them in the bathroom on the toilet together. The second Sonora started moving, Rusty started biting her and then they got into it and had to be separated. This is not going well! I'm so tired of my poor girl getting beaten up. Its ridiculous. I e-mailed the Bunny Bunch lady and asked for help. I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to to get them to bond. I'll keep trying but if it doesn't change I'm going to have to stop. I feel like I'm cursed and I will never find a compatible bun for my girl. I could keep Rusty separate from her but I don't think Mike would go for that. I guess I'll see what happens.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Don't stress just yet!!! It's just the beginning Steph...these things take a while. Try not letting them see each other for a couple of days but swap their cages so they get used to each others scent that way...then when they meet again it will almost be like they already know each other (almost...remember that part!)

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

We are going to keep trying, and if it doesn't work we are going to keep Rusty in a separate cage. I really like Rusty and don't want to part with him if they don't get along. Mike says he's fine with the two cage thing. He says he'd rather have that than fighting rabbits. Of course, I'm going to keep working on bonding but its nice to know that if it doesn't work, we are still keeping Rusty. Sonora is actually doing really good on her own and like you said Carmen, they bond more to you if they are by themselves. We'll see what happens...

BTW, how do you keep your girls separate from each other all the time? Is it because they are in cages with stands? Right now I have Rusty in an exercise pen with straw mats, so I have to put another pen around it when I let Sonora out or they will fight through the bars!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

We skipped bonding today and let them be apart. Maybe Rusty will be more willing to make friends after he settles in more. He's doing great though. He's super friendly, mellow, and has a major playful side too! He had a blast tonight running around and doing happy kicks in the air. He's very friendly to me too and loves being petted. I just love this little guy. Now I have two awesome bunnies!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:18 AM

Aweee Steph it is great that Rusty is doing well with you, and I hope that he and Sonora can bond and be together, if not it is great to know that you can keep them in seperate cages this way you can keep Rusty
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Another Rusty update lol . He's doing awesome and is very happy. I still haven't tried bonding with Sonora again. I just want to let him settle in and enjoy himself. He's a major snuggle bunny and loves to bury his head under my knees when I pet him! If I lay on the floor, he likes to put his head under my chin. He also likes to stand on his hind legs and put his paws on my back if I'm sitting up. He loves human interaction! He's a very patient bunny and waits his turn for playtime. No cage rattling! I'll probably try things again with Sonora soon, but in the meantime I'm just having a blast with my Rusty. Mike says he's his favorite lol.

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, hind legs, litter box, pet store, pet stores, seperate cages