Back from the rabbit rescue with a mini-rex. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Back from the rabbit rescue with a mini-rex.

I just got back from my loooong drive to the rabbit rescue founder's house. I'm really sad at having to part with Mo. At least I know that he is in the best of hands. Those women live and breathe rabbits and they will evaluate his personality and find what he needs to be happy. Even though he hated living here in an apartment and was always angry, I loved him and I will miss him a lot. I will be keeping in touch with Caroline to make sure he's doing well, and I will also probably be volunteering for them.

Well...I also brought Sonora with me and we found her a match. I brought home a caramel and white mini-rex boy bun. He's probably around two years old. He originally came from a shelter and has some knicks out of his ears from being bitten by other bunnies. He's very cute and sweet and I think they will get along fine. Of course I still have to go through the bonding period with them but hopefully they will become good friends soon. Still haven't thought of a name for him yet (they were calling him Rex). He kind of looks like a Rusty to me. He's glad to be out of the car and is starting to fall asleep in his litter box filled with hay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awwww he sound so cute!!! I can't wait to see pics of him!!! Let me know how the introductions go and I'd love to hear updates on Mo too. I'm sure you probably have mixed feelings right now...sadness for mo, but happy cause you have a new addition! Just try and enjoy your new addition as much as you can....and you're going to volunteer? That would be awesome!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks so much Carmen for your understanding. It makes me feel a lot better.

I found a pic of him on their site. He has a lot of white on him that you can't see in the pic. He has a white chest and four white feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awwww he is soooo cute!!!!! Rusty is a perfect name for him!!! you know I'm here for you if you ever need a shoulder.
Looks like you got yourself a toy loving bunny!!!
Have fun with him!!

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks again Carmen. Oh, I forgot to mention that there were a lot of chinnies there. They were all so cute. They had so many different colors too. I've never really been around chinnies before (except in pet stores) so I got to see how cute they are when they are in the proper environment. Some of them were really friendly. I never knew that they made noises!

Oh and Carmen, I forgot to tell you that he doesn't mind being held!

Last edited by veggiegirl; 09-11-2004 at 05:17 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

He's SO handsome! Hope the bonding goes well and you'll have him home soon!

I think "Rusty" works, too.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Roz! I have him here now, he is just in a separate pen. They had their first introduction at Caroline's house and they did fine (rabbits always get along when they are scared). When I introduced them here, he got scared of Sonora so I separated them right away. Sonora is out running around the apartment now and he gets scared when she comes near his pen. Poor guy. I think its because he's been in fights before. He has nicks out of his ears. I'll be introducing them very slowly in neutral territory. She's very easy to get along with so once he realizes that she's not a threat, it should be fine. I have his pen blocked off for now so he feels safer.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

Oh poor baby. I think you've got it right there, VG. Poor thing has probably been picked on all of his short life. And Sonora is a sweetie pie from what I remember reading. She must be baffled by his reactions.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Steph yah he likes being held!!!!! He'll probably teach Sonara that it is okay to be held too!!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

That would be cool lol. At least Sonora lets me pick her up. She just doesn't like being held for a long time, but maybe she could learn to tolerate it. Rusty had a good first night here. He is a very clean rabbit (which is great!) and is super mellow. No cage rattling as of yet! I'm going to let him out for some exercise and see how he does.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Congratulations on Rusty, he's so cuuute! The name suits him perfectly. Good luck with the little guy and Sonora!
Mo will be in good hands soon, but he'll never forget you.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee what a great story!!!! I'm sorry to hear about Mo, but we all know it's for the best, and it looks like you have a great new addition that will be hopping around in full swing in no time
We have an opportunity to get a bunny, but I just don't know as I haven't had one since I was a kid. There is an LN (local national) that works with Darren and he raises rabbits for food and I was like aweee and when he mentioned that one just had a litter of 10 about 3 weeks ago, again I went awee and said I want one the LN asked for what food? I was like ewww no, for a pet duh!!! But now I just don't know, I know we will have no problem taking him/her back to the states I just don't know if I am ready to take on a different type of animal at this time.
Steph keep us updated and sorry for blabbing on

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Last edited by DirtySouthChins; 09-12-2004 at 10:47 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Kim,
Your not blabbing! I love talking about bunnies. That would be awesome if you could save one. If you get one, you know you have me and Carmen and a lot of other bunny people to give you lots of info! I love bunnies. They are unlike any other animal.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

When I was little, my dad got some raffle tickets for me and my brother, but the raffle was late at night so I had to go home and go to sleep. My brother and dad stayed, and they won a prize in the raffle. The prize was a stew rabbit. A live one!
My parents told me the next day that we would go pick out a bunny, they would never kill the poor thing! When we got to the farm, the farmer saw us little kids and just gave us to little baby bunnies weaned from their mother instead to have as pets. Sadly my bunny broke his spine and had to be put down, but my brother's rabbit lived to be six years, and that was before we had books about rabbits and toys! They loved us anyways, and we built their cages ourselves, so they were really big.
I just wanted to share because of what NavyWife said about the bunny...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Rusty and Sonora had their first bonding date this morning on the kitchen chair. It went really well. Rusty is terrified of Sonora so he just freezes up, but she snuggles against him and even washed his ears. They are going to make a cute couple.

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, hind legs, litter box, pet store, pet stores, seperate cages